toblix

Wasteland 2

Since I'm at work and a bit busy I just backed without even looking at things. Only $15 for me though, haven't played the original or Bard's Tales so I know very little about those game(maker)s.

Yeah, I haven't played Wasteland or Bard's Tale, but I loved the original Fallout games, and I'd very much like another post-apocalyptic RPG with proper turn-based combat.

Saw the title, moused over it to get the preview of the post, instantly clicked on the thread and then the link and then backed it.

$30 will get you the soundtrack by Mark Morgan of Fallout & Planescape: Torment :o

This seems pretty interesting... Especially given that Brian Fargo is going to be working on it... for free. And if they only make $900,000, he's prepared to chip in the final $100,000 to make this game. That's real passion, and it makes me want to support this game!

Great to see this getting backed. Fargo went about this the right way, yes, it happened reaction to DFA, but it's also well done and thought out in it's own right.

Unfortunately though, no backing from me. I really liked his interview on RPS, but it's fairly obvious that Wasteland 2 is a "for the fans" game. Which is a shame, because I'd love to see them expand the audience without sacrificing depth. RPGs (90s and otherwise) just just feel mechanically clunky to me.

Still though, I hope it turns out well!

Well, I just backed it. I like those old games, and I imagine there will be somewhat of a modern sensibility to it when it's done.

Good luck to them :tup:

I'm afraid (for my wallet) this will become a thing.

What if Frederick Raynal will be next with a LBA3 Kickstarter.

Or Tom Hall with Anachronox 2.

Or Steve Bovis with Limbo of the Lost 2

the last one is a joke

I'm afraid (for my wallet) this will become a thing.

What if Frederick Raynal will be next with a LBA3 Kickstarter.

Or Tom Hall with Anachronox 2.

Or Steve Bovis with Limbo of the Lost 2

the last one is a joke

I'd probably give money to Peter Molyneux to make a new/old skool god game. And if Firefly ever appeared, I'd probably sell everything I owned.

And if Firefly ever appeared, I'd probably sell everything I owned.

I just got really scared, this is exactly what would happen for me if that happened.

Postapocalypsism doesn't tickle me in games, but I'd plunk down for LBA3. The world needs another dose of weird, French, optimistic gaming.

Amazing, Wasteland 2 is already at 57% with $515,286 within a day.

Yeah, I haven't played Wasteland or Bard's Tale, but I loved the original Fallout games, and I'd very much like another post-apocalyptic RPG with proper turn-based combat.

Yeah, that was my reasoning for funding the game. I like the idea that the more they make, the more depth they'll be able to add to the game.

Wow, didn't think this would get funded that fast, but it's getting close to the 900'000 goal already.

Yeah, I was surprised at how fast it went up. I don't know why, their video is a little ropey and I had my doubts, but they seem to care so much and know what they're doing that I chipped in. I think seeing so many other people fund it so fast gave me confidence.

Kickstarter is becoming an interesting model for diversity in games beyond typical starve/pitch/contract work/spare time indie development.

I honestly thought that were would be extremely few people with the recognition to make something like this happen, and inXile wasn't included! Good on them, I'm going to contribute when I have some more money.

Pretty amazing.

So: There's all this money out there ready to be poured into game projects. They're not close to the budgets of big console games, but they're much bigger than most indie projects. The total figures of backers are also (significant) fractions of the total sales figure for a really successful indie project.

The people who are doing really well at this are taking some established brand, reputation or nostalgia into it rather than launching cold (hat tip: Kingz). Will there always be a ready supply of that, or if not, how well do you think this kind of funding would work?

Will there be a

Kickstarter?

Also, Crowdsourced Hardcore Tactical Shooter seems to have stalled a bit. Edit: He might be setting 200K as a realistic production budget, but that doesn't necessarily align with a realistic fundraising goal. The further over the goal a project gets, the more value a gamer is going to perceive for their fifteen bucks, which could become a really hairy problem.

Happy that they got funded. I'll most probably put down some money as well. But somehow the tone of this kickstarter bugs me a little bit. Stuff like:

If the entire community continues to help spread this through social media, there is no telling how much money we can raise. Every time you get someone else to participate, you are working to make the game bigger and better.

or especially

At the $1.5 Million level we will be adding a Linux version along with the Mac OS X version. We know that the Linux community is a very dedicated and internet-active group, so we hope their support will help us make that goal.

It seems so - calculated. Okay, I understand the logic behind it, the necessity, and being professional about this is a good thing, but somehow I feel that it already - 'it' being the idea of a crowdfunded, middlesized game - lost its innocence, its 'magic' (which it most certainly only had in my head and regarding Double Fine). Kickstarter is another option for seeking funding for developers, a place where ideas need to be presented, pitched, and the buzz has to be orchestrated. Mh, still, it is a good thing.

On a lighter and more silly note (via Eurogamer): A lottery-winners game-Kickstarter.

Quote of choice:

Can I build the game? No. Can I hire a great group of people who can build the game? Oh yes!

*Both quotes from their second Kickstarter-Update.

**The FAQ on Ellwood Bartlett's Kickstarter

That stuff doesn't bother me at all, but what bothers me is that (and I think someone already said something along these lines here) they might be trying to please some loudmouthed fans who might not actually number that many and they'll make a game that is unplayable by today's standards. e.g. I don't even think the original two Fallouts play that well today.

Yeah, it doesn't really bother me either. It's about million times less cynical than some (some!) of pitches I've seen in games and digital interactive bollocks.

Ellwood's page is hilarious. I was discussing it with some friends yesterday, and we particularly liked "I am an idea man", from his bio, and this rambling about transport:

You can’t get a horse and expect it to fly, but you can get a horse with wings and fly. There will also be water and land mounts. Each one will have an increase speed based on its nature. So a dragon is going to fly a bit faster than a winged horse will. A race car mount will move faster than a horse mount. So I think you get where I am going here.

Underwater horses, and sports cars: :tup:

Calculated? We're talking about someone who's working on the game FOR FREE. Taking NO SALARY. And who's prepared to put 100K of his own money into the project. Yeah, he's an evil, calculating bastard all right.