toblix

Giant Bomb

So I've been subscribing to Giant Bomb for a while – their Quick Looks are a great way for me to feel like I play a lot of games. I just watched the latest video where Jeff Gertmann answers a lot of email from people, and talks in length about various subjects. I find it quite interesting, but there's one thing that strikes me as... maybe a little weird. Is it just me, or is he drinking water from a huge jar whilst sitting in a gross room? They have perfectly fine studio locations, don't they?

So I've been subscribing to Giant Bomb for a while – their Quick Looks are a great way for me to feel like I play a lot of games. I just watched the latest video where Jeff Gertmann answers a lot of email from people, and talks in length about various subjects. I find it quite interesting, but there's one thing that strikes me as... maybe a little weird. Is it just me, or is he drinking water from a huge jar whilst sitting in a gross room? They have perfectly fine studio locations, don't they?

I am not certain, not being a subscriber, but I believe those videos from Jeff alone from another location are actually recorded in his house, late at night. Hence the dodgy lighting, weird jar drinking and lack of any other dudes.

Yeah, that's his house you're seeing. Except for that one he recorded in a Vegas hotel room.

How's life as a subscriber? Any regrets? I've been interested subscribing but never quite sold on it.

Yeah, he does those at home, apparently just to kill time.

I like Giant Bomb for several reasons, and one of them is because they go straight against conventional wisdom regarding internet content.

I'm part of the student TV, and there's a lot of talk currently about how to adapt our content to be more web-friendly, i.e. shorter and faster. While it's true that most people surfing the internet do have extremely fleeting attention span, Giant Bomb single-handedly proves that you can produce long-form, niche content, be it text, audio or video, as long as the quality and entertainment is in place.

How's life as a subscriber? Any regrets? I've been interested subscribing but never quite sold on it.

I enjoy it. I really like a lot of what they do for subscriber content, specifically the Random PC Game features, where a few of their guys spends an hour or two playing through a reasonably old PC game (last edition was Mechwarrior 4) and commenting on it as they go. They accidentally played through all of Phantasmagoria in this way a couple of months ago, and it was pretty fun to watch them play that whole game in a few hours with commentary over it. Spread over a few nights, or course. I doubt I could watch that much in one go, but it's nice to have as a way of winding down after work.

I would totally recommend subscribing! The bonus content is killer, and it feels good to support dudes doing stupid shit on the internet. (See Idle Thumbs)

Their obsession with wizards is almost as big as ours! But even 5$ is a bit much for me....:blink:

Their obsession with wizards is almost as big as ours! But even 5$ is a bit much for me....:blink:

they weren't particularly wizard-centric until they started the meme "I'm a wizard, and that looks fucked up" on a podcast. when Jake (I think) called them out on their wizard meme on Twitter, they started mad wizard beef with the Thumbs.

more wizinfo is required

here's the original giant bombcast clip:

mad wizard beef

oh man, wizard BSE is the worst.