Sign in to follow this  
toblix

GDC 2012

So GDC is starting in about five hours. Looking forward to:

1. Sim City 5 announcement
  2. Hearing what the deal is with the Steam console rumors.

Do any of you industry types know if stuff will start appearing on the GDC Vault during the convention, or if it's all published after?

I *think* they upload new stuff in all at once. I checked an old email I had and it said:

We'll email you during the year when major updates are made, such as bulk recordings from new shows...

So you might have to wait until after. I'm not sure, because they might have changed it since last year. Or you know, all the talks from 1 day the next day, or something.

I'm rather excited, because as soon as I (finally!!) get my broadband this week, I'll get my Vault thing (finally!!).

1. Hearing what the deal is with the Steam console rumors.

Can we hope for Half Life 3 announcement as launch title :erm:

Can we hope for Half Life 3 announcement as launch title :erm:

If Half-Life 3 is officially announced at GDC 2012, you will find a 5120x1440 wallpaper of myself, uncovered and completely naked, in this thread. I am not kidding, and I am not going to back on this promise.

I went from excited to pure dread to a little excited.

It'll be close to a month before the content shows up in GDC Vault probably.

If Half-Life 3 is officially announced at GDC 2012, you will find a 5120x1440 wallpaper of myself, uncovered and completely naked, in this thread. I am not kidding, and I am not going to back on this promise.

Quoting for posterity.

I just landed in San Francisco a few hours ago and I missed hanging out and playing board games with John Romero of social games fame because my flight was three hours later than my friends' flight.

What a shame.

Quoting for posterity.

I think it was implied that it'd be full-frontal.

okay i'm sorry that was awful

It'll be terrifying if Toblix is really actually like his avatar.

I also hope he doesn't look like the guy people thought he was before:

tl8BE.jpg

So what's a good place to keep up with GDC news? This thread?

It's funny and strange to me that Gamasutra is this crazy respected gaming source, but its name is (obviously?) a pun on the Kama Sutra. It seems mischievous.

Indeed. Referencing articles there for people who won't have a clue is a little painful.

I think it was implied that it'd be full-frontal.

okay i'm sorry that was awful

*slow clap*

So if anyone wants to see toblix in the nude, the plan is simple:

1. DDoS all video game news sites until they are really down

2. Fabricate evidence of cached versions of the sites that include half-life 3 announcement

3. ???

4. Profit

At least we'll finally know if that picture in his avatar is him...

:yep:

EDIT: Wait, is it taboo to have your avatar be your face? I haven't really used forums since the early 2000s. Should I get rid of mine in favour of a nice camel with pyramid backdrop? :erm:

Looks like I already found something from this year's GDC that I enjoy.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/164444/GDC_2012_Dont_be_afraid_to_piss_off_your_players.php

I'll have to watch that talk later. Personally I'd still remain afraid to do things, but do things I'm afraid to do. Small changes have caused massive uproars and legitimate drops in user activity in games.

I'll have to watch that talk later. Personally I'd still remain afraid to do things, but do things I'm afraid to do. Small changes have caused massive uproars and legitimate drops in user activity in games.

Yeah but it can also payoff too. I think in order to make it work, a developer has to be willing to spend quality, dedicated time making something as if it's the way it's going to be, but also not be committed to it just because all that time and effort was put in. It's basically all about having the opposite development mindset of Blizzard for World of Warcraft. Those guys walk on eggshells just because it's going to make the most-vocal people all fucking irate, and really, they shouldn't have to cater to those people.

Sooo... where are all the announcements? Is there a special announcements thing at the end, or can they announce shit whenever?