Roderick

Assassin's Creed: Mohawk

Decided to do some of the Boston side content as well. Ended up doing all of it (as much as can be found without buying the maps) and found this unleashed a whole multi-hour row of homestead missions. Enjoyed that part, but maybe doing that earlier would have been better since the story with Achilles seems to get a bit out of sync this way.

Still don't see why anyone would enjoy spending time in menus to send out carts, though.

Yay! More gun play (sarcasm) when pirate bro holstered his 4 pistols I decided to never play this game.

Actually that's a lie I swore never to play this shit again when I quit AC3.

FYI Watchdogs is going to be dog shit to

If I didn't like the first game at all will I like any of the other AC games?  I haven't tried any of the AC2 games since I thought the first one was pretty terrible, but the series seems to be well liked so maybe the games after the first one had significant improvements?  Or are all the games basically the same, but different settings

AC2 was great, a huge step forwards from AC1 which comparatively felt like a tech demo. Just a through-and-through great game that pretty much saved the franchise after a stumbled start.

Brotherhood and Revelations were just more of the same, expansion packs that happen to take as long as a full game to complete. AC3 is an unknown quantity to me but I suspect the few things it did bring to the table were already (partially) done in the expansequels so they were less interesting.

Pirates? Will AC5 be about ninjas or zombies?

The restraint of the first game's setting was by far the best thing about it. The cold dirty blues of Acre, the golden glow of Jerusalem, the Dome of the Rock visible anywhere in the city. The same can be said for Florence and Venice in AC2. Carnival Venice is one of my strongest visual memories from a game. Then there are the tiny details like amassing a collection of real artworks in your villa.

It is a shame all the great architecture and lighting is polluted with stupid Lawnmower Man computer nonsense.

AC2 was great, a huge step forwards from AC1 which comparatively felt like a tech demo. Just a through-and-through great game that pretty much saved the franchise after a stumbled start.

Brotherhood and Revelations were just more of the same, expansion packs that happen to take as long as a full game to complete. AC3 is an unknown quantity to me but I suspect the few things it did bring to the table were already (partially) done in the expansequels so they were less interesting.

Thanks, I kind of thought that might be the case and will definitely try and give the series another shot.

Honestly if you were going to play one game of the series I would recommend Brotherhood. AC2 is leaps and bounds better than AC1 but Brotherhood is a superior game cut from the same cloth.

I don't know, I found the whole one location thing in Brotherhood pretty boring after a while. A large part of AC2's appeal for me was that it introduced this vast, wonderful Italy and let you explore all sorts of cities, each with their own character. I know they attempted a similar thing with Rome but, honestly, it still feels pretty samey throughout. Also the story and what drove you to those different locations captured my imagination far more in AC2.

Of course there were some genuine improvements and the out-of-town missions were a highlight, but I think you're likely to appreciate those more after experiencing what AC2 has to offer. Also getting into the story from Brotherhood isn't something I'd have liked, whereas AC2 in some ways assumes the player never touched AC1 (probably because it didn't do so great). It's a good standalone game, Brotherhood... less so.

That's interesting, perhaps it's just because I played Brotherhood first then went back to play AC2. And I found AC2 really began to drag on what with the schlepping between cities all the time. It just felt like Brotherhood was a tighter experience, less fluff, mechanics all working well together, but it could entirely have to do with my fatigue with the series upon starting up AC2. Good point about the story too, though I'm not sure it'd be comprehensible even in order.

Watching the trailer and reading about the game, you change the dudes outfit and cut out what sounds to be a very small portion of the game and suddenly its a freeroaming historical pirate game that has nothing to do with AC.

It's like the devs didn't want to make an AC game at all, they had this kickass idea about like, Red Dead Piracy or something along those lines. But then couldn't get it approved unless they put "Assassin's Creed" in the title.

So they shoehorned the entire thing in. Even the trailer, cut out that last like 30 seconds and suddenly it's not an AC game at all. Not that it really looks like one to begin with. I don't know which came first, the pirate thing or "we're making another Assassin's Creed"; but that AC has so uncomfortable been shoehorned in still instead of this being it's own thing, and probably getting people who don't care about AC to look at it, is a pretty sad statement about the triple A games industry today.

Still, if they can deliver on the promises, which I doubt as it sounds like it would take a Rockstar like budget and time commitment to do so, then consider me interested in the non AC parts of the game. "My name is Frenetic Pony, and I want to be a pirate!"

This could be a departure, but maybe it'll be surpringly frank. I think Frenetic Pony might be right: Ubi just had this great idea for a pirate game and shoehorned AC in. I'm up for that! I like pirates, I like islands, I like that setting, so let's do this. The one thing that really had me groaning was that the main character is AGAIN an almost nondescript male guy dude. Come the fuck on, when are we finally going to have a female assassin in one of the main games? At this point it just seems mercenary. I loved Revelations for letting me play with an old man, that was so cool. I want more diversity.

This could be a departure, but maybe it'll be surpringly frank. I think Frenetic Pony might be right: Ubi just had this great idea for a pirate game and shoehorned AC in. I'm up for that! I like pirates, I like islands, I like that setting, so let's do this. The one thing that really had me groaning was that the main character is AGAIN an almost nondescript male guy dude. Come the fuck on, when are we finally going to have a female assassin in one of the main games? At this point it just seems mercenary. I loved Revelations for letting me play with an old man, that was so cool. I want more diversity.

Get a PSVita? Aveline was a pretty rad main character.

I heard that. I just don't understand why they're shying away from that in the big games that get all the publicity. At first sight of the trailer I thought: hey cool, I get to play as old man Blackbeard, who was actually an assassin! NOPE, you're another cleanshaven cipher.

Oooh, it would be awesome if Aveline was a pirate in the Vita version of AC IV, she kinda dresses like a pirate anyway.

What really gets me about this is it's coming out this year. I was really fatigued after Brotherhood and Revelations and didn't think I could take any more, but then their marketing did the whole 'this is the REAL sequel the other team has been working on in the background for the past few years alongside Brotherhood and Revelations, it's going to be amazing' and I perked up, and am still kind of looking forward to playing AC3 at some point.

So what is AC4 going to be then? They can't have been working on that for years too, so is it going to be another expansion-like sequel to AC3 whipped up in a year like Brotherhood/Revelations were to AC2? Are they only calling it AC4 because it's a new protagonist? What is going on?! ;(

I am going to play AC3 regardless, but only after another year or so when it's relatively cheap and part 4 has been out for a while.

Thrik, you're right that AC has a murderour release schedule, but the kinda sheer lunacy of the new setting is enough to treat it like a different game. Maybe. Could be I want this thing to be way more different from what came before than it actually will be, in which case welcome to disappointment alley.

Old man Blackbeard

I don't think it's actually going to be that much different. The trailer implies that there'll still be plenty of traversing towns and cities engaging in traditional Ass Creed behaviour, it's just that the naval stuff will be around for more of the game.

In terms of sheer setting I think pretty much anyone with a Mojo/AG background is going to appreciate AC4's more than AC3's, which tempts me to just skip the latter. That way, the game is likely to feel like a much bigger leap forward and it'll be set in environments that I pretty much love. I want to be going around proper Pirates of the Caribbean towns and settlements, and treasure islands.

OK so I guess I'm missing out on a chunk of the Desmond lore, but I pretty much don't care at all about that.

AC3 is a bad video game. Do not play that video game.

:tup:  :tup:  :tup:  :tup:  :tup:  :tup:  :tup:  :tup:  :tup:  :tup: