Roderick

Assassin's Creed: Mohawk

I thought AC has had wall-hugging sort of all along. If you run up to a wall, he'll put his arms up and lean on it, no? It's not Gears of War, but it's what I always used when I was tailing people around corners.

Could Ubisoft just drop the Assassins Creed branding, the VR crap, and that goofy white cloak?

It looks (and probably will be) great, but, damn, all of the stuff I mentioned is completely unnecessary to sell this game to me, in fact, it's a deterrent.

Could Ubisoft just drop the Assassins Creed branding, the VR crap, and that goofy white cloak?

It looks (and probably will be) great, but, damn, all of the stuff I mentioned is completely unnecessary to sell this game to me, in fact, it's a deterrent.

I feel exactly the same way, but it's ultimately a futile position as the series is intrinsically all of those things.

Man, this pissed me off. Though I'm sure he has a point, as her giant tits would probably be in the way.

Wow, that Gamespot article sure is intent on framing it in the worst possible way. They're only a hair away from titling it 'AC developer hates women!'

I think he does have a point that in this and other historical events, women did not have a lot of active roles to play (behind the scenes, inside the house, they'll have had major influence). This being AC, they surely could've worked it in though, so it's not much of an excuse. It would seem the protagonist of ACIII is already a huge outcast, being half-native American, so they might as well have gone all the way and made him a her.

You're absolutely right about the framing in that article. Another annoyance.

And I don't have a problem at all that the game has a male protagonist. What ticked me off is that, this is AC we're talking about, a game with aliens, all kinds of mystical shit and scifi crap and a character whose design stands out like a sore thumb.

"It felt like, if you had all these men in every scene and you're secretly, stealthily in crowds of dudes [as a female assassin], it starts to feel kind of wrong," he said. "People would stop believing it."

Yes, my suspension of disbelief stops there. :shifty: Surely they could've done it, they just didn't. I'm fine with that, that is a creative choice they made, but it sounds like disingenuous after-the-fact reasoning. Gave me a tinge of pissy annoyance. Now I've vented this, so I feel all better. :tup:

Fact: There are more aliens in video games than there are women.

But yeah, I agree. The decision is justified in a way, although it feels hilarious to justify anything Assassin's Creed related with believability.

You're absolutely right about the framing in that article. Another annoyance.

And I don't have a problem at all that the game has a male protagonist. What ticked me off is that, this is AC we're talking about, a game with aliens, all kinds of mystical shit and scifi crap and a character whose design stands out like a sore thumb.

Yes, my suspension of disbelief stops there. :shifty: Surely they could've done it, they just didn't. I'm fine with that, that is a creative choice they made, but it sounds like disingenuous after-the-fact reasoning. Gave me a tinge of pissy annoyance. Now I've vented this, so I feel all better. :tup:

I disagree. I think all that extra supernatural shit in Assassin's Creed is ridiculous, but I don't think it has anything to do with the plausibility of a female assassin in the 18th century. The actual settings themselves of the series are intended to be essentially plausible in terms of their basic premise (the supernatural garbage exists almost entirely in cutscenes and transitions between the modern and historical settings), and I think it is relatively implausible for the type of character they've chosen to depict in these particular eras to be female.

Chris just adequately explained what I was going to. I mean, look at Rosa. She's about as tomboy as it gets in order to survive in that era and "profession".

The way I'd frame it (which I think is what Chris is saying as well) is that they want to maintain historical accuracy as much as possible, but their intertwined fiction can be as insane as they choose.

I disagree. I think all that extra supernatural shit in Assassin's Creed is ridiculous, but I don't think it has anything to do with the plausibility of a female assassin in the 18th century. The actual settings themselves of the series are intended to be essentially plausible in terms of their basic premise (the supernatural garbage exists almost entirely in cutscenes and transitions between the modern and historical settings), and I think it is relatively implausible for the type of character they've chosen to depict in these particular eras to be female.

That's fair enough. It was a hotheaded knee-jerk response on my part.

Though I don't think it'd be that implausible in the AC universe. I remember seeing at least one Altair/Ezio type female Assassin in one of the games and when I see something like this:

*shrug* Covering up some of the femininity, works for me. I know that's completely besides the point (I know you weren't implying it wouldn't work ever), but it'd be an interesting perspective. And probably a completely different game.

Edited by PiratePooAndHisBattleship

To basically say that because of historical accuracy there can't be women having cool roles in historical games might be a point to make, but for me it feels a bit like carrying over old (and sadly not so old) restrictive gender roles into nowadays entertainment. Sure, quite bit of creative thinking would be necessary to make it work in certain fictions, but I guess it would be nice if more developers would try. Maybe it's just that the under-representation of women in games bugs me more than the bending of history-fiction would.

And I think the AssCreed III setting lends itself pretty good to a female assassin, at least in my head. The picture PPAHB posted is a nice start - it could be even less feminine for the blending-in and the killing-bears-in-the-woods-parts. But then you could also see her in a dinner dress killing people with sexy poison on the steam boat. Or something.

Edited by castorp
there was word missing

See, you say that /\/\/\/\/\/\ but what we all know would reall happen is

:blink:

And I think the AssCreed III setting lends itself pretty good to a female assassin, at least in my head. The picture PPAHB posted is a nice start - it could be even less feminine for the blending-in and the killing-bears-in-the-woods-parts. But then you could also see her in a dinner dress killing people with sexy poison on the steam boat. Or something.

See, that was my line of thinking too. As women have been historically marginalized, I think it would put them in a unique position. I would like to think that because of that position, they'd make excellent assassin's.

But I'm also thinking I lack information on what they're going to do with AC3. Speculating that Connor will probably start as a blue coat fighting in the war, then yea, if they wanted to stick with that it would be a pain.

See, you say that /\/\/\/\/\/\ but what we all know would reall happen is

:hmph:

Also, Pocahontas showed that having a strong Indian female lead is no prob. Of course they would have to do song and dance in ACIII then.

Which I'm not opposed to.

Also, Pocahontas showed that having a strong Indian female lead is no prob. Of course they would have to do song and dance in ACIII then.

This has my vote.

More video games need musical interludes.

Veering off topic, as a general rule, I think video games need more songs. Musicals are a valid storytelling genre, but the amount of VG musicals can be counted on one hand. Epic Mickey 2 is exciting for that reason. You have the Curse of Monkey Island song of course, which shows how wonderful and memorable a diegetic song can be.

In AC: Brotherhood (presumably also in Revelations, but I haven't played it yet) you could rescue both men and women and make them part of your assassin team. The first person I rescued was some slick girl who I ended up sending throughout europe kicking ass and taking names in my great name.

They all could become full time assassins, but I guess having a female lead the assassins during these particular eras is more the problem than simply having a female assassin.

To basically say that because of historical accuracy there can't be women having cool roles in historical games might be a point to make, but for me it feels a bit like carrying over old (and sadly not so old) restrictive gender roles into nowadays entertainment. Sure, quite bit of creative thinking would be necessary to make it work in certain fictions, but I guess it would be nice if more developers would try. Maybe it's just that the under-representation of women in games bugs me more than the bending of history-fiction would.

I think the real problem here is that games are so concerned with themes that are, historically speaking, indisputably male-centric--waging large-scale warfare and enacting individual personal violence, mainly.

I think if you're setting something in a historical era you have a responsibility to be true to the realities of that era. (Obviously Assassin's Creed's premise is pretty absurd so it hardly achieves that in many meaningful ways, but those are the exact parts of this series that I find dumb and off-putting.) I know not everybody agrees with that.

It's a tough argument to make because it makes me sound like a sexist who just doesn't want to see powerful female characters in games. That isn't the case. I personally like to see fiction reflect reality, not provide artificial power fantasies. (Video games are terrible at this, generally.) That said, if you ARE going to make a game set in the 18th century about a character who is a cold-blooded serial assassin, that character is overwhelmingly likely to be male. If we knew how to make games that weren't about nonstop killing, there would be plenty of stories to tell about strong females from pretty much any era, even if they existed in societies that repressed women, because all humans have deep and complex interior lives, motives, and actions.

I got pretty excited when Mohawk jumped through a decorated room.

Is it a weird question to ask why the character sounds so American? I thought at this point everyone still had a British accent, or a German accent or whatever. I could be mistaken.