Roderick

Assassin's Creed: Mohawk

I suddenly have the desire for an ancient Aztec setting for Assassin's Creed 'cause that is some of my favorite architectureses.

D:

Those screenshots have me fucking excited, though. I really need to play AC2. I've had it foreverrrrr.

Those screenshots are actually really effective in getting me interested. First time for this series.

I was intrigued by the game before, but now that I've seen shots of it I am really interested. I guess it's time that I finally play through the series.

As I said before, the idea of a native character that's actually handled (hopefully) well is so alien to games already that I'm excited just to see that happen.

Isn't he most likely a descendent of Ezio? That would kind of rule out him being a Native American. He does clearly carry some nativy trappings, so he likely has some kind of contact with them.

I do hope that any such characters are treated respectfully. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that at some formative point he stays with them for a while and they train him in the arts of whatever.

To clarify for anyone who isn't familiar with AC, the central conceit of Assassin's Creed involves genetic memory (which is an idiotic concept, but let's not linger on that), and the protagonists have to be in a direct ancestral lineage for it to work. They could potentially break from that, but it would go against everything they've set up so far.

Looking forward to it, but there are two things I'm disappointed about:

* the assassin's outfit

* the assassin's gait

They are too similar, especially the gait seems to be identical (as much as I can tell from still screens). Then again, I can see why they wouldn't want to redo animations and fine tuning and other stuff it may concern, as that might take a lot of time.

And it's not really the clothing that makes someone a hashashin is it. An assassin should blend in. In the first game, he did mostly, but I don't know why they stuck with that.

Isn't he most likely a descendent of Ezio? That would kind of rule out him being a Native American. He does clearly carry some nativy trappings, so he likely has some kind of contact with them.

Might be a half-Native, half-Italian? I'm sure it's not out of the question. After all, Disney's Pocohontas!

From here:

GameInformer's report claims that the game has had the longest development cycle since the first game in the series, and has twice the budget of Revelations.

That's what I wanted to hear.

Might be a half-Native, half-Italian? I'm sure it's not out of the question. After all, Disney's Pocohontas!

I thought that was too improbable, but this is Assassin's Creed we're talking about.

"Nothing is true; everything is preposterous."

Isn't he most likely a descendent of Ezio?

Is that necessarily the case? I thought he just needs to be Desmond's ancestor. Which means the bloodlines could get mixed some time later, no? Having not played revelations, it's entirely possible I have no idea what I'm talking about though.

I'm fine with someone of Italian descent becoming an Indian, but now that the inimitable Erkki mentions it, it's really weird that this stealthy assassin would run around wearing a custom made mash-up of colonial uniform and white cloak, ensuring that he is instantly recognizable wherever he goes*.

*except in snow, but the assassins specialize in urban, not environmental camouflage.

Is that necessarily the case? I thought he just needs to be Desmond's ancestor. Which means the bloodlines could get mixed some time later, no? Having not played revelations, it's entirely possible I have no idea what I'm talking about though.

I might just be having a brain fart but I'm having trouble figuring out how Desmond would be connected to Ezio and beyond that Altair, as well as this guy, without them all being on the same genetic path? Surely they all have to be ancestors/descendents of each other for this to work?

Aha, didn't spot that article Toblix linked to before. Clarifies a lot of things:

Assassin's Creed 3 mainly centers around the North American cities of Boston and New York in the 18th Century and features historical figures such as Benjamin Franklin, George Washington and Charles Lee, according to information gleaned from the latest issue of GameInformer.

The US magazine's reveal, summarised on NeoGAF, adds that the game's lead character is called Connor. He's half English, half Mohawk and was raised by native Americans on the US frontier.

Exact details of the game's plot were not disclosed but some of the scenarios include the great fire of New York and Washington's winter at Valley Forge.

In addition to New York and Boston, around a third of the game takes place on the frontier, an area said to be 1.5 times bigger than Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood's entire game map. There will be some kind of fast travel system to help you get around quickly.

You'll hunt animals for resources, climbing trees and cliffs to set up kills.

As time passes the seasons will change, with NPCs behaving differently depending on the weather. Soldiers will stumble about clumsily in the snow and lakes and rivers will freeze over.

A tomahawk and knife are apparently Connor's main weapons, and you'll be able to perform double counters, multiple takedowns and chained kills.

Target locking has been ditched, with the game automatically pinpointing an opponent. Ubisoft is promising a more fluid, fast-paced control system that should offer more control in combat.

There'll also be more platforming sections this time around.

GameInformer's report claims that the game has had the longest development cycle since the first game in the series, and has twice the budget of Revelations.

I might just be having a brain fart but I'm having trouble figuring out how Desmond would be connected to Ezio and beyond that Altair, as well as this guy, without them all being on the same genetic path? Surely they all have to be ancestors/descendents of each other for this to work?

Well.. Ezio, Desmond, that new guy could have a common ancestor in Altair (or some master assassin that came before) even if the new guy is not a descendant of Ezio. I'm not that into the Assassin's Creed side of Assassin's Creed so I don't know how the bloodline thing has been described. To be honest, I don't really care either, because the overarching story feels so utterly ridiculous to me.

I really, really, really want some form of cover mechanic for this video game. PURELY so that I can hide behind a wall and KNOW that I'm hidden behind it.

More shots.

And yes, agreed. Lack of cover mechanics is a bit of a glaring issue in a stealth game IMO. Even Metal Gear Solid had that covered in like 1998. :tmeh:

Thank you! You're the only person I know who has actually agreed with me. Everyone else seems to think I'm advocating Gears of War style gameplay.

Cover mechanics are in no way required for a stealth game.

Posit: Thief.

Furthering the discussion; Assassin's Creed is not that kind of stealth game. And honestly that's all the reason needed to shut your argument down. But to expand on it, a traditional stealth section would break up the games pacing too much. At least the previous ones. I'd honestly be surprised if we didn't infiltrate the camp of one army or another in 3.

Edited by Orvidos

I like when I have a meter or reticule to let me know how hidden my character is, such as the eye in Skyrim. It feels more natural to me that way, as if my actions matter instead of it being an on/off mechanic like taking cover. I am not against a cover system, I'm just saying that I would be less immersed if stealth relied on one.

Furthering the discussion; Assassin's Creed is not that kind of stealth game.

Agreed. Assassin's Creed is actually surprisingly clumsy and ineffective as a stealth game.

And honestly that's all the reason needed to shut your argument down.

Nope. You are not making much sense.

But to expand on it, a traditional stealth section would break up the games pacing too much. At least the previous ones. I'd honestly be surprised if we didn't infiltrate the camp of one army or another in 3.

Keeping a ridiculous distance to enemies just because there is no other way to make sure that they don't see you, breaks the pacing much more than a simple cover system would. And hiding behind a cover would certainly be smoother than finding a stack of hay, a well or some prostitutes whenever you want to hide. There are "traditional" stealth sections in Assassin's Creed 2 games and some of them are simply broken.

God I hope Ubisoft won't fill the woods in Assassin's Creed 3 with artificial stacks of leaves and groups of people just because they can't implement a simple, smooth cover system.

Edited by Nappi

You have two parents, four grandparents, 8 great-grandparents, sixteen great great-grandparents... It's more and more likely you're connected to someone the further back you go. All it means is that Connor will either have to be related to Desmond's father or mother; not necessarily Ezio or Altair.

As with every historical setting chosen for an Assassin's Creed game, it still bums me out that the only way to get historical fiction in non-strategy games is to load them up with supernatural elements and near-superpowered killing machines.

I would so be all over this historical game! Imagine a game set in 17th century Amsterdam. Where you play a rich trader. buying/selling VOC stock. building up your trading empire. Sail in wood from Scandinavia, spices from Indonesia. Totally awesome. And educational! :yep:

Furthering the discussion; Assassin's Creed is not that kind of stealth game. And honestly that's all the reason needed to shut your argument down. But to expand on it, a traditional stealth section would break up the games pacing too much. At least the previous ones. I'd honestly be surprised if we didn't infiltrate the camp of one army or another in 3.

There were quite a lot of moments in AC2 and Brotherhood where I thought being able to hug a wall rather than just crouching as close to it as possible and hoping it was good enough would have made me feel more in control and generally better. It can also feel really awkward trying to accurately position yourself behind cover, which a basic 'snap to wall' mechanic would resolve.

For example when taking out the Borgia tower guys in Brotherhood, those were sometimes relatively long sequences that involved taking a lot of guys down and navigating an indoor space — and if you got spotted it was game over. These sequences were very much MGS-esque in style, and so it makes sense to use some of the mechanics that made such sequences actually fun in MGS.

I found it really frustrating sometimes in Brotherhood where I thought I was nicely concealed behind a wall, but in actual fact the AI could see me when they looked in my direction. Maybe the slightest part of my model was visible or something, I don't know. I felt cheated though, because I'm still pretty sure I was hidden. Eventually I started simulating a cover mechanic by grabbing onto the ledge of the wall I was hiding behind, which seemed to do a better job of ensuring I was in fact covered.

Seems like it'd be an excellent addition to me, even if it were automated (eg: crouch next to a wall for a few moments and he automatically shimmies up against it). Not feeling 100% in control and betrayed by mechanics is the #1 that makes stealth games frustrating as fuck for me.