Roderick

Assassin's Creed: Mohawk

As with every historical setting chosen for an Assassin's Creed game, it still bums me out that the only way to get historical fiction in non-strategy games is to load them up with supernatural elements and near-superpowered killing machines.

My thoughts exactly.

I want everyone to know that Benjamin Franklin was a goddamn incredible genius and I'm going to be severely disappointed, but not surprised, if he gets the same goofy James-Bond's-Q treatment the also-goddamn-incredible-genius Leonardo got in one of the other Assassin's Creed games.

Considerably later.

Really? Because in the movie there was a riot over the draft for the civil war... I cant imagine it's that much later, is it? (I have a rough knowledge of American history and earnestly asking)

Being a Philadelphia resident, I really fail to see how 1770s Philly would be an interesting space for an Assassin's Creed game. The architecture is pretty boring and certainly lacking in anything big and impressive. Its was also laid out in a perfect grid, which is not as interesting as all of the wacky, winding paths from earlier games. I am, of course, assuming that Philly will be featured, but that seems like a fairly good assumption.

All that said, I would love to see revolutionary era Montreal.

Really? Because in the movie there was a riot over the draft for the civil war... I cant imagine it's that much later, is it? (I have a rough knowledge of American history and earnestly asking)

I think you're confusing the Civil War and the Revolutionary War. The Revolutionary War was fought to establish sovereignty and break away from Great Britain; the Civil War was a century later and was fought to keep the Southern states from seceding from the union.

It would be interesting to know how the development how this has progressed compared to AC2, Brotherhood and Revelations. AC2 was okay, Brotherhood was a pretty perfectly polished take on the same (and some additional) mechanics, and Revelations was too much of the same (too soon).

So, will AC3 be more of the same, or did they branch off further back and start working on new, interesting content? In other words, is this game three years in the making or just one?

I watched a GDC talk by one of the Assassin's Creed guys, and the whole process seemed pretty sad. The whole thing sounded almost factory-like, with no room for creativity or iterative design, just churning out assets and focus-testing to verify what they had decided on from the outset.

I think you're confusing the Civil War and the Revolutionary War. The Revolutionary War was fought to establish sovereignty and break away from Great Britain; the Civil War was a century later and was fought to keep the Southern states from seceding from the union.

Which one was the fife and snare drums one?

I think you're confusing the Civil War and the Revolutionary War.

That would be the reason right there :)

I think you're confusing the Civil War and the Revolutionary War.

That's certainly what I did.

Centered cover art!

Coolio. :tup:

That would be the reason right there :)

Yeah, it was a solid century between the Revolution and the Civil War. During the Revolution, New York occupied a small area of the Manhatten. The city you see in Gangs of New York is considerably larger and more developed.

Can I be a total asshole and say I'm actually interested in Assassin's Creed for the first time since the first game (or, to be fair, I'm interested in a more excited way like I was for the first)? Because I am.

Did you play AC2 and the ones that came after that at all? I really, really disliked the first Assassin's Creed and put me off the sequel for the longest time. When I finally did play it, I really enjoyed it. It's a massive improvement over the tech demo they called the first.

And keep your goddamn opinions to yourself, you total asshole.

Did you play AC2 and the ones that came after that at all? I really, really disliked the first Assassin's Creed and put me off the sequel for the longest time. When I finally did play it, I really enjoyed it. It's a massive improvement over the tech demo they called the first.

And keep your goddamn opinions to yourself, you total asshole.

I didn't play AC2 or the ones after, actually. I would watch any press / media related to them, but aside from enhancing the gameplay stuffs, the setting and tone seemed to carry on throughout.

That's why AC3 just kinda is hard to ignore or scoff at. It's like... wow, huge setting change. And it looks like there's more outdoorsy stuff going on.

And on the topic of part 1, yeah, a common thing I see people say is that after playing the games following the first, part 1 is pretty bad. Few people say it was bad to begin with from what I've seen, and that part 2 / then on it got better.

When AC1 came out I remember most people not being particularly impressed by it. The fact that it was an amazing engine but didn't offer that much in the way of fun gameplay dragged the experience down for a lot of people, but of course the hype meant loads of people bought it anyway — and so a sequel had the opportunity to right the wrongs.

AC2 is so much better than AC1 it's impossible to quantify. I do think AC2 is much less outdoorsy than AC1 though in that most stuff happens in urban/indoor areas, whereas AC3 looks like it might take a step back to the openness of AC1 (although hopefully with more depth rather than just a massive but pointless world).

Hate to dash any ones hopes for Benjamin Franklin appearing, but he spent all his time during the Revolutionary War in France petitioning for money/supplies/men. Also, he only spent 1 out of the 12 years beforehand in America, the rest were in England trying to hold the Empire together.

That said I will not be surprised when Ubisoft forgoes any actual history, and in turn forces all High-Schoolers to only know Benjamin Franklin as he was in this stupid game. (I am actually pretty excited at the prospect of a game based in the time period.)

They all are. This one in particular get's me excited for the prospect of running around in natural settings as well as man-made:

Liea9.jpg

The more I think about this, the more stoked I am. Pretty much any choice they could have made for the AC3's setting would also have a tonne of missed opportunities just by virtue of the fact that they can set these games pretty much anywhere. Just have to do my best to forget about all the potential AC3s and let myself get into this one. As I said before, the idea of a native character that's actually handled (hopefully) well is so alien to games already that I'm excited just to see that happen.

Those screenshots are great and if there's an emphasis on hunting I'll be super fucking happy because that was the greatest thing in Red Dead Redemption and exactly part of the departure package AC needs.

Just remember to play it in Italian for primo authenticity.

Just remember to play it in Italian for primo authenticity.

Don't you mean English this time?