Thrik

Sim City V

Remember how I was saying that I'm gagging for a new simulation game, and that Prison Architect might be the game to scratch that itch?

Well, fuck that shit. Looks like Sim City V is upon us at long last! :tup::tup::tup::tup::tup:

S3EHa.jpg

wKjpg.jpg

tkfqu.jpg

0pkTx.jpg

4PTWr.jpg

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=35585202

These are apparently scanned from some German magazine ahead of distribution or something like that. I knew Maxis was imminently revealing a new project but most of me doubted it'd be Sim City.

Ho-ly shit. Awesome. I've missed Sim City. Also, it looks from a quick glance like they might be going down the eco/industry choice route that Anno 2070 did, but perhaps they might make it matter or be in some other way more interesting.

looks exciting! haven't played a city sim in a long time unless you consider the previous Anno game to be one.

I hope they stay true to the original. I didn't really like sim city 4, 3 was okish though.

Sim City is one of the reasons I even got into the gaming industry; I just loved the first one so much but the sequels never really captured me as heavily.

I can't remember which one exactly(either 3 or 4) but it seemed to rely a lot on other cities that didn't exist, much like the Sims where I had to create a bunch of different households for my sims to interact with. I didn't like this as much, I like to have one city and really focus on that. Then there was that other one where it got a little too detailed with power, water, sewage...bleh.

As much as I love the original and the idea of bigger, better versions, I honestly can't say what would make a great Sim City sequel.

The concept art(paint overs) looks cool and I'm sure the final game will look close to that, it would be interesting to see if it takes on the illustrative style and from the looks of it they sort of have a Sim City Societies thing going with creating the clean metropolis and the dirty wasteland.

Always excited to see a new Sim City, even

SC3 had much more micro management iirc and SC4 introduced that "neighbor city" thing.

They've had a long time to think about it (nearly 10 years ;() so I'm remaining cautiously optimistic that they'll figure out what needs to be done.

Exciting!

They've had a long time to think about it (nearly 10 years ;() so I'm remaining cautiously optimistic that they'll figure out what needs to be done.

I'd be surprised if there were actually many individuals currently employed at Maxis who have been actively thinking about Sim City V development challenges for ten years.

If it's Maxis, then it's still EA. Maxis is a subsidiary of EA.

Awwww... yeah!

Looks gorgeous! And indeed quite Anno 2070-ish.

Maxis is the only logical choice, really. Developers of the past games, upcoming announcement, and no known projects since Spore.

If it's Maxis, then it's still EA. Maxis is a subsidiary of EA.

And EA owns SimCity, so even if it were given to another developer, EA would be publishing it no matter what.

FUND

You guys should throw some of that Idle Thumbs money their way, I'm sure EA would appreciate the help from such a big name in the industry.

Edited by Hermie

Why you no love EA? ;(

Because while ensconced in their greedy maw are a great many creative and talented people, as a corporate enterprise they're, by and large, passive-aggressively hostile towards their customers. Which seems to video game corporation policy these days.

Are they? I hadn't really noticed to be honest, other than Origin which seems to have ruffled some feathers — although I've been using it constantly to play Battlefield 3 and can't say it's caused me any issues.

Well I mean, they're not UbiSoft with their terrible DRM that actively prevents you from playing the game. Or Activision who repackages the exact same game with two new features for more money. But their customer service leaves a lot to be desired, and they seem to be heading in Activisions direction. Don't get me wrong, they're not overtly and universally reviled like they were a few years ago, but they're still an industry giant, and that means doing sometimes shitty things to make a lot of money.

Oh look, roads aren't based on straight lines and right-angles anymore. (well, and diagonals, but those were limited)

Also, I'm such a dork - I saw the pier in the last screenshot and thought "this is sweet."

Can't wait for the details. I'm hoping they're retaining the complexity options (but making everything easier to navigate).

Wow ,I'm totally on board to play this .Hope to see some crazy disasters.I've always liked that sort of controlled randomness thing in the series.

"You begin to stall & see all your city being torn apart with drugs & crimescene.

And then Babooom,the earthquake you called rise up & destroy your nicest district to pieces with anything left but just the shitty one. & The poop facility of course "

:yep:

I'm thrilled,Soo great :violin:

From the 1940's style of the top image to the near future look of the bottom, the one thing that seems to stand out to me from the concept art is the sense of time. I hope that means the city will evolve as time progresses, not just with the technology but with the look and feel of the city as well.

Well I mean, they're not UbiSoft with their terrible DRM that actively prevents you from playing the game. Or Activision who repackages the exact same game with two new features for more money. But their customer service leaves a lot to be desired, and they seem to be heading in Activisions direction. Don't get me wrong, they're not overtly and universally reviled like they were a few years ago, but they're still an industry giant, and that means doing sometimes shitty things to make a lot of money.

The huge amounts of DLC they seem to release before their games even come out is pretty depressing too.

I'm looking forward to another Sim City but it's hard to get excited about anything coming from EA these days.