Erkki

Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs

So excited about this game: http://www.nextfrictionalgame.com/

Didn't like Dear Esther much, but I think it's an important experiment and I can't wait what comes from thechineseroom's collaboration with Frictional Games.

Although, a game from Frictional having a good title will probably jinx it and the game itself will suck.*

I think this Joystiq piece has the most details on it so far, and there's some interesting stuff on sound design in their forums -- the game will have "a wide dynamic range in the soundscape" which means loud things will be really loud. Should be interesting considering it's a horror game.

* disclaimer: I'm kidding

Edited by Erkki
R-135

I am extremely excited about. The title of the game is phenomenal, and I'm really excited about what Pinchbeck and co. will add to the project. Like you, I think Dear Esther is more valuable as an experiment than as an experience unto itself, but I'm giving Pinchbeck the benefit of the doubt and assuming he has the ability to lead a project that is more gameplay-driven.

I wish I could play Amnesia – seems like a game one should have played.

Digging up this old, dead thread just to post the fake Kotaku review summary from Kirk Hamilton:

ze2g3Av.jpg

Is anyone here planning to buy and/or play it?

Hearing that this game does away with a lot of the things i feel make Amnesia so intensely frightening is making me pretty skeptical. (Among a few things, the nyctophobia mechanic is apparently gone, the thing forcing you to make that incredibly uncomfortable choice about whether you're more afraid of the monsters chasing you or losing your sanity.)

Just started playing, having turned off lights and put on headphones which I hardly use nowadays. But visual tear is totally killing the mood. There seems to be no v-sync option. Turning v-sync on (acutally was default) somewhy doesn't help.

[edit] Turning on v-sync from graphics driver control panel helped

[edit 2] It hasn't gotten really scary yet, but I'm afraid it will and can't play more today.

Eh, ok so I played a bit more and while the graphics driver v-sync option helped, there is still some annoying tearing, especially if I look up and down.

[edit] actually the tearing seems to come and go. can't establish correlation with any v-sync setting any more

Man this was such a great game. I went in expecting it to be the same game play as the Dark Descent, and was so glad to find out it is way closer to Gone Home with (more) ghosts, and pig-men.

I don't want to talk explicitly about the story beats and how it all plays out, but I found it getting under my skin in a way I didn't anticipate. There are a couple of notes that I found, that reminded me, in the best possible way, of 'I have no mouth and I must scream' by Harlan Ellison.

Last week I played Outlast and it felt more like a modern horror movie, with cheap jump scares, but the horror of the whole thing faded pretty quickly after I walked away from the keyboard. Where A Machine for Pigs, felt more like a Hitchcock film with it relying more on tension, and a sense of building unease and dread, that caused it to be scary long after I finished it.

Erikki: I found the screen tearing in the beginning to be really, really bad, but it got better (or I stopped noticing it) the more I played.

Finished it. It was a bit boring in the beginning, and as a whole not as scary as the original, but maybe mostly because I was determined not to be scared? It got more interesting at about half-way through, and the ending was great.

One disappointing thing was that it felt a lot less interactive than the original -- but maybe I remember the original wrong.

I just beat and boy was I disappointed, with a lamp that never runs out, regenerating health and enemies you can rush past buy and you'll make it to the next place 90% of the time, this was not an Amnesia game.

And no, this game was not as interactive as Amnesia... I doesn't make sense, you can pick up one chair or two in the whole game, and the same goes for cupboards and cabinets... Why bother? You no longer need oil, matches or medicine, so what's the point of opening them? The notes are never that hidden.

And you know what's stupid, it's CLEAR this guy is a hunter from all the trophies he has, so what's his excuse for never fighting back? Then again, it would explain why he's so tough to kill, you know what? In my "head-canon", I assume he doesn't bring any guns or fight back because how nonthreatening the enemies are to him. "I'm not letting a giant pile of bacon make the best out of me!" :P

I didn't even like the ending, 

the boys with ghostly voices were dead? Wow, color me surprised! I also knew he was "killing himself" the moment he found out. What I don't get is why does that machine killing him have to do with the stopping everything? Did I miss a note? I thought we were going to pull the other guy's life support or something. :|