Thanks for the answers. The Swedish crown has been through some troubled times in my game, so I guess there was a lot of opportunity for that glitch to occur. With all the crusading I'm doing and holy warring I'm planning to do, I think I can live with that Antipope and will leave it as it is for now.

However, I think I've just run into another bug, one that isn't so easy to ignore: One of my vassals is the Duke of Prussia and one of his vassals was rebelling against him. But then the latter apparently died a natural death and I inherited the "Prussian Revolt" title from him. And now I'm screwed. Suddenly, most of the Diplomatic actions aren't available to me anymore, as one of the conditions is "Emperor Echmarcach the Great must not currently hold a Temporary title" and there doesn't seem to be a way to get rid of it. I can't grant it to anybody, I can't destroy it, I can't win or lose the War of the Prussian Revolt as that has properly ended, nor can I usurp, revoke or destroy the legitimate Duchy of Prussia to see it that would help. I'm afraid I'll have to back to and old save an hope the guy doesn't die before the revolt is resolved the next time around. Unless there's an easy way to fix this with console commands, I guess.

I'm loathe to register for yet another forum, but if this goes on like this, I really might have to join the Paradox ones and start reporting bugs.

However, I think I've just run into another bug, one that isn't so easy to ignore: One of my vassals is the Duke of Prussia and one of his vassals was rebelling against him. But then the latter apparently died a natural death and I inherited the "Prussian Revolt" title from him. And now I'm screwed. Suddenly, most of the Diplomatic actions aren't available to me anymore, as one of the conditions is "Emperor Echmarcach the Great must not currently hold a Temporary title" and there doesn't seem to be a way to get rid of it. I can't grant it to anybody, I can't destroy it, I can't win or lose the War of the Prussian Revolt as that has properly ended, nor can I usurp, revoke or destroy the legitimate Duchy of Prussia to see it that would help. I'm afraid I'll have to back to and old save an hope the guy doesn't die before the revolt is resolved the next time around. Unless there's an easy way to fix this with console commands, I guess.

There is a "destroy title" console command, but you have to have the title ID, which I don't know is visible through "charinfo" or not. You might have to dig through the text defines to find it out.

If that doesn't work, maybe you could release the Duke of Prussia and then defeat him? As silly as it sounds, my earlier problems with everyone being hostile were solved by reloading the game a few times *shrug*

Edit: This thread discusses it and can be viewed without a forum login. Unfortunately the referenced bug reports are in a private forum. http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?765322-Temporary-Title-Issue/page2&s=501ba170af1c3256966a4ac3ef8a8338

I couldn't find the correct console command, I ended up ripping it out of the savegame with a text editor. That seems to have worked, at least. I just hope that doesn't lead to further problems somewhere down the line. Also, I got rid of the antipope that way, too, so I guess some good came of this after all.

I have to admit that my game has lost a bit of drive since I became Emperor. I have no interest in taking over the HRE wholesale and gaining a whole lot of probably unruly non-Celtic vassals in the process, so for now I'm mainly taking my 20K mostly heavy infantry retinue on a tour of Europe grabbing a single county or duchy, one at a time, from each of my neighbours in turn and then starting again at the beginning once I'm through with the last of them after about 10 years and the truces have expired.

During one of these raids I arrogantly tried to steal Brabant from the HRE using only my retinue and no levies at all (they were also involved in another war at the other side of their realm trying unsuccessfully to get Bohemia back under their control) and thought I was doing fine, having already occupied two of counties, when I almost met disaster when a 40K stack of troops from the HRE and their allies from the ERE came into view marching towards mine. I immediately raised about 7.5K in levies from somewhat nearby Normandy and Brittany, but they wouldn't make it in time, so I took a defensive position across a river and hoped for the best.

I had a better quality troops and better generals, but they still outnumbered me by 2:1 and when the battle commenced I wasn't immediately taking heavy losses, but my morale was dropping more quickly than the enemies and my reinforcements were still a way off. It wasn't looking good. Then on the third day or something I got the joyous news that my troops had actually slain the Byzantine Emperor. Good riddance, I thought, too bad that didn't seem to an effect on their morale, only to realize a couple of moments later that while their morale was still high, the size of the enemy stack had more than halved. Of course, the death of the Emperor also meant the end of the alliance and his troops just stopped fighting and alone the HRE didn't stand a chance. I still love this game, I just need to find a new long-term goal, I think.

I have to admit that my game has lost a bit of drive since I became Emperor. I have no interest in taking over the HRE wholesale and gaining a whole lot of probably unruly non-Celtic vassals in the process, so for now I'm mainly taking my 20K mostly heavy infantry retinue on a tour of Europe grabbing a single county or duchy, one at a time, from each of my neighbours in turn and then starting again at the beginning once I'm through with the last of them after about 10 years and the truces have expired.

I still love this game, I just need to find a new long-term goal, I think.

If ever you find a long-term goal after becoming emperor that is as fun as becoming emperor, please post it here because I would like to know. The problem is that empires are just too stable unless they're gavelkind. The amount of resources at your disposal as even the smallest empire (which is Carpathia, I think) so dwarfs any kingdom in the game that other kingdoms will rarely attack you and your dukes will rarely rebel. Frankly, if you destroy all the component king titles of an empire, you can be done with internal politics altogether, which allowed me to conquer an area as the Prussians equivalent to the twentieth-century USSR at its height, in my last game. I wouldn't recommend it, really.

In my experience, the only way to spice up life once you're an emperor is to i) switch back to gavelkind and spend most of your time managing your sons, ii) give out all your king titles and enjoy an earth-shattering civil war about once every twenty years, or iii) try to conquer the world.

The problem is that empires are just too stable unless they're gavelkind.

That wasn't really my experience at all, once my empire changed hands to my son all my vassals just went crazy on me...

Frankly, if you destroy all the component king titles of an empire, you can be done with internal politics altogether,

...oh. Come think of it maybe I shouldn't be Emperor of Britannia, King of Ireland, England, Scotland and Wales as well as a duke of a couple places. I think I was fooled into thinking the fact that it was within my title limit meant it was alright to horde them.

...oh. Come think of it maybe I shouldn't be Emperor of Britannia, King of Ireland, England, Scotland and Wales as well as a duke of a couple places. I think I was fooled into thinking the fact that it was within my title limit meant it was alright to horde them.

I really wouldn't recommend it. If there are no extant king titles for dukes to lust after and medium crown authority to keep them from fighting internal wars to create them themselves, they literally just sit there feeding you money and troops. It makes the best part of the game (besides the ever-present eugenics program) absolutely trivial.

Yeah, I'll try loading up my save and destroying them before my Empress dies. It's such a shame though because people loved the CRAP out of the Empress. She conquered most of the empire and no-one held grudges. They fell in line and I was well liked by my vassals. Then along comes her wet behind the ears son and it occurs to everyone that they can just rip the empire in pieces because the vast majority of the army is made up of vassal levies and I can't keep mercenaries to survive 5 civil wars.

Yeah, I'll try loading up my save and destroying them before my Empress dies. It's such a shame though because people loved the CRAP out of the Empress. She conquered most of the empire and no-one held grudges. They fell in line and I was well liked by my vassals. Then along comes her wet behind the ears son and it occurs to everyone that they can just rip the empire in pieces because the vast majority of the army is made up of vassal levies and I can't keep mercenaries to survive 5 civil wars.

People have been talking a while about how, when and if Paradox ever gets around to a cadet branches DLC, there ought to be included a system for dynasties to be either friends (like the Piasts and Liudolfings) or enemies (like the Hohenstaufen and the Welf). Basically, there'd be a score visible on the dynastic tree screen that'd the sum of every good and bad deed done to any member of one family by any member of another, living or dead, which would be either a huge bonus or malus to relations. I like it a lot, because it would solve the "instant civil war upon succession" issue that I think is the biggest barrier to new players, particularly the unintuitive "loves the father for giving him titles, hates the son for giving him nothing" scenario, in addition to making more complicated to deal with a large and powerful family in your empire.

But yeah, if you've got a bad succession coming up because of a weak heir, then save up money, put as many vassals as possible in jail, and maybe even drop your feudal levy laws to get the easy +10. If your vassals like you at least 30+, then there'll be no factions and you can survive until your "short reign" modifier goes away.

People have been talking a while about how, when and if Paradox ever gets around to a cadet branches DLC, there ought to be included a system for dynasties to be either friends (like the Piasts and Liudolfings) or enemies (like the Hohenstaufen and the Welf). Basically, there'd be a score visible on the dynastic tree screen that'd the sum of every good and bad deed done to any member of one family by any member of another, living or dead, which would be either a huge bonus or malus to relations. I like it a lot, because it would solve the "instant civil war upon succession" issue that I think is the biggest barrier to new players, particularly the unintuitive "loves the father for giving him titles, hates the son for giving him nothing" scenario, in addition to making more complicated to deal with a large and powerful family in your empire.

But yeah, if you've got a bad succession coming up because of a weak heir, then save up money, put as many vassals as possible in jail, and maybe even drop your feudal levy laws to get the easy +10. If your vassals like you at least 30+, then there'll be no factions and you can survive until your "short reign" modifier goes away.

It probably says a lot about me that my first thought was "The friends system would be great, it would make backstabbing those people an even more horrible betrayal!". But yeah, that system would be fantastic and really add a new dimension to everything. It's only now you've mentioned it do I realise just how silly it is that it doesn't exist yet.

Thanks for the help! I'll try finish through my save again later, I still need to reach 1400 so I can transfer into Europa Universalis and actually play the game I bought half a year ago.

You're all jerks for having this interesting conversation. I'm going to have to reinstall now and start a new game.

Whoa, of all the countries I've attacked recently, the small republic of Pisa put up the most of a resistance. Do they get a bonus or something?

Meanwhile the real drama seems to be happening closer to home. My maybe-bastard son and heir from above has started an affair with my second wife (his step-mom) while the game keeps telling me that his wife (my daughter-in-law) "might fancy me" and I already had to point out the inappropriateness of that liaison three times now.

Whoa, of all the countries I've attacked recently, the small republic of Pisa put up the most of a resistance. Do they get a bonus or something?

Meanwhile the real drama seems to be happening closer to home. My maybe-bastard son and heir from above has started an affair with my second wife (his step-mom) while the game keeps telling me that his wife (my daughter-in-law) "might fancy me" and I already had to point out the inappropriateness of that liaison three times now.

Because the trade mechanics aren't really tuned that well, most republics have a massive stack of cash sitting around (plus their own pool of mercenaries to buy) and therefore make difficult conquests. Not to mention, if it's a game that's been going on a while, all five of the merchant families will have fully upgraded family holdings, which are another two or three thousand troops pretty much for free.

And in my Lanka game, newly resumed now that my computer's fixed, I had a pretty lustful king who had a wife, two concubines, and an ever-rotating collection of lovers. At one point, I noticed that my latest lover had incredibly high stats and had popped out a couple of Genius kids. Turns out, she was the wife I'd gotten for my heir! Oops. Well, those kids had great stats and he obviously wasn't getting the job done. "The rot began with Ning / The fault lies with Jing," indeed!

Actually, my computer wasn't fixed, but it is now. Sadly, my Lanka game was corrupted in the process, but it's okay because I was reaching the snowball point of forming my first empire, all of which are huge in India and would certainly signal game over.

So instead I'm playing the count of Cornwall at the 1066 Stamford Bridge start. Man, is it fun! You just can't match how good it is to play a Catholic in Crusader Kings II. Everything else just pales beside it. I actually was pretty badly stymied for the first twenty years. My starting ruler had high intrigue and a spymaster with even higher, so I was trying to use plots and factions to destabilize England while I united Wales and declared independence. Nope! Every plot was cancelled, I spent a good five years in jail, and I was twice forbidden from joining factions, so... yeah. Cadoc ap Cerneu was kind of a disappointment. But his son, Eozen! He grabbed a corner of Wales through a lucky claim, then had a series of good events give him incredibly high stats for a first-generation product of the breeding program. I was just killing time assassinating the children of my enemies while I waited for the next claim on Wales to fabricate, but then the king died in combat with some heretics and Eozen was next in line! I didn't even know England had electoral succession in the 1066 start. Of course, I could care less about holding onto England with its two multi-duchy vassals using only my three counties, so I did something I've never done before. I used the manpower and money of the crown to finish the conquest of Wales, revoked and banished a bunch of people whose lands I wanted, and started waiting for the revolt to bust me back down to duke, where I'd rather be right now anyway. Oddly enough, it hasn't happened yet, but I ultimately want Wessex, Hwicce, and possibly Hereford to complete my vision of Greater Wales, so I just have to keep going and see where it runs out. The heir apparent is the infant son of the former king, so I'm sure history will just see Eozen's brief rule as usurpation during a minority.

I can't ever imagine getting tired of this game, I love it so much.

I completed my first empire in India, from a 1066 start as the a Jain count of a single county in a Hindu country. I have 4/5 of the Jain holy sites now, so my moral authority is up high enough to actually convert folks. Now I just have to see if I can make it to the point that I can fire off that decision to form the great empire of India before I run out of time. I think I have about 75 years.

Woo, formed India by assasinating the Muslim ruler repeatedly to get past truce timers.

I'm tempted to buy the exporter and take another shot at playing EU4, but I dunno.

Note to self: having played many times as every non-English kingdom in the British Isles, please learn someday that England can never just be "taken care of" in one or two wars.

I bought the converter since it was on sale, but then did some research and found out that it was never patched for the new RoI cultures or religions, so if I do convert I'll get a stupid generic no-culture and no-religion stuff. What a waste of money.

:fart:

I bought the converter since it was on sale, but then did some research and found out that it was never patched for the new RoI cultures or religions, so if I do convert I'll get a stupid generic no-culture and no-religion stuff. What a waste of money.

:fart:

Paradox says that they'll update it when they feel like it, which is always implied to be soon.

Soon™.

Apparently I'm a dick. I remember now, it's already in the new beta patch. Dewar, if you update to that, there's a good chance your save will transfer over and then you can use the converter.

Is there a way to "encourage" the pope to call for a crusade? It's been a while since the last one.