I_smell

What was the most Idle Thumbs thing to happen without Idle Thumbs?

First off: Half the reason I wanted to make this thread is that I just clicked Play on the Kickstarter video, and OH MY GOD, THAT ONE IS CHRIS?? AND THAT ONE IS FAMOUS? I've bin a fan since episode 5 and just now accidentally saw these guys on video. Turns out I guessed completely wrong who is who, on everyone.

Anyway- maybe it's just me, but every once in a while whenever something ridiculous happens in the industry, it makes me think "oh man, these video games", or sometimes "I can't believe this even happened", as if the spirit of Idle Thumbs lived on in the fact that we are all walking caricature jokes of ourselves.

Similar to the moment you find out how to ruin Heavy Rain for yourself by sliding in and out of a car for 5 minutes, what was a moment, to you, that felt like something Idle Thumbs had made up?

Here's mine, as examples:

and more! It can be stuff that happened in a game, it can be stuff at e3, whatever's nutty and unbelievable.

haha I tottally forgot about the foolishness that is the battleship movie. That's definitely something the thumbs crew would have though up

They covered all that, I'm sure of it. Didn't they?

I'm pretty sure that was covered in the first few minutes of The Idle Thumbs Podcast Episode 3: "Your Buddy, Space Marine" or "The Capper." They started out by talking about how they weren't going to do a podcast that week, but then the most extreme two days of video game shit happened, and Jake said, "You mean like all the best games were released?" Scoops replied, "Sorry, no, it wasn't that." Jake then clarified that "Some things were released, but they were released from employment." Then they turned to Chris Remo, their resident video game journalist, to get the full scoop.

Does that promotional event in San Francisco where balloons were launched and subsequently fell into the bay, leaving it super dirty, count? I think this was a THQ thing.

I believe that was a promotional thing for Homefront. I don't think it really worked out.

Does that promotional event in San Francisco where balloons were launched and subsequently fell into the bay, leaving it super dirty, count? I think this was a THQ thing.

221353-red-balloons_original.jpg

homefrontballoonstunt530.jpg

HAhahahahaha! That's a really shitty PR stunt. It's like they bombarded 10 guys with 500 balloons saying "Homefront's coming out, guys."

221353-red-balloons_original.jpg

homefrontballoonstunt530.jpg

HAhahahahaha! That's a really shitty PR stunt. It's like they bombarded 10 guys with 500 balloons saying "Homefront's coming out, guys."

What the fuck?? I never even heard about this.

On a related note, there's this:

As part of a new promotion for its forthcoming sci-fi role-playing game, BioWare is launching copies of Mass Effect 3 into Earth’s upper atmosphere in San Francisco on Thursday, the company said in a press release this week.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/02/mass-effect-3-space-edition/

it's a stealth teaser for the next mass effect title, a collaboration with Valve

xcs4klrjlwE

It's too bad that Sony PR event for God of War in which food was served out of a gutted ram or whatever happened before Idle Thumbs' podcast form. Then again, I could mention it anyway since silly-PR is hilarious.

why don't they spend that money on the game instead of dumb PR stunts?

I thought that they had already done that, and the papers released turned out to be incredibly boring?

It turns out that whoever signed the petition was actually signing an agreement to pay $10 for day one DLC.

Speaking of EA marketing, I received an email from EA today with the subject "BF3: Your next challenge starts now". Oh awesome, it's news on the next BF3 expansion!

IMG_2028.PNG

:getmecoat

Kotick in Moneyball and Battleship are pretty crazy, but I think the end of Portal 2 was pretty thumbs:

spoiler

As part of a new promotion for its forthcoming sci-fi role-playing game, BioWare is launching copies of Mass Effect 3 into Earth’s upper atmosphere in San Francisco on Thursday, the company said in a press release this week.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/0...space-edition/

This is quickly turning into a thread about bizzarre Mass Effect marketing, but now this has happened: HEROIC SPACE-DISCS GET STUCK IN TREE

At time of writing, the arms race between humanity and Mass Effect 3 has escalated to high-end slingshot-level; would-be rescuers report that “a guy at Home Depot offered to make us a potato gun” if the package can't be dislodged with sling-fired marbles.

Oh Mass Effect :(

"This whole story's basically been an elaborate excuse to use that caption"

It's worth it, I'll say.