DanJW

SCP-087

Let's play a game. It's called "How many flights of stairs can you go down before you get too scared and hit ESC in panic".

So far I have got to floor 19

If you want to really shit yourself up, turn the sound up and the lights down and read this first, including the documents at the bottom.

You I know, I would love to see a bunch of tiny mini-games like this as part of an SCP Foundation Game Collection.

Fuck that. I got only several floors down before I started getting too tense to continue, and I don't care how much of a pussy that makes me. ;(

It's mostly the sound design. Creeps me the hell out.

I got down 35 flights of stairs before eventually getting bored… not that my heart wasn't pounding though. Very nicely done, though I found the documents a bit scarier than the game. I also found myself trying to remember which landings incidents had happened on, and was jittery enough that I couldn't.

I saw/heard:

knocking, then screaming, then shadows whizzing by me. After about ten more stairwells, nothing much else had happened

and I thought "Fuck this if

I'm meant to go down 250-something levels to get to an ending"

I also meant to go down fewer levels, but it has an annoying/admirable Mincecraft-like aspect of making you want to go down just one more flight.

Edit:

I just found a video of an ending. God that gives me the willies!

I haven't played it yet, but I read the documentation, and I'm quite interested in the similarities to House of Leaves. I can already tell that I'm also going to get sucked down the hole of reading everything else on that site for the next few days.

Incidentally, everyone should read House of Leaves.

I got to level 35 before

any visual things started happening (shadows)

and then it was maybe 10 or so more

and then the game ended with another shadow who's face you could see from farther away

This game is a neat concept but the execution seems kinda flawed. Didnt find it to scary, though the ending is a bit unsettling (watched on youtube).

...however this SCP website is very cool. Never heard of it before and have enjoyed the hour or so Ive read so far, great concept.

Got to 101, they are doing some small stuff which seems to amplify the players anxiety.

The size kept changing, be that the hright of the camera or the room sizes, I noticed with the bannisters. Also the way you seem to stumble down the stairs, plus you couldn't walk up the stairs at lower levels

I think the flaw is that it's procedurally generated, whereas horror should generally be quite deliberately paced. The designer himself said it was just a little experiment in teaching himself Unity though.

Got to 101, they are doing some small stuff which seems to amplify the players anxiety.

The size kept changing, be that the hright of the camera or the room sizes, I noticed with the bannisters. Also the way you seem to stumble down the stairs, plus you couldn't walk up the stairs at lower levels

So the thing I saw was not the ending then but a crash?

So the thing I saw was not the ending then but a crash?

no it was,

assuming it came towards you or flash on the screen

,the game can be anywhere from ~20 floors to 200

The first time I played I made it 24 stairs and nothing happened. I got a little creeped out and shut it off. Came back a few hours later, made it 57 flights and saw the ending, it's pretty cool.

I like experimental games like this, especially experimental horror games.

Oh sweet! Some of the best creepypasta comes from that site, I'll have to give it a go...

I didn't even associate this with SCP! It's been so long since I've gone through that place. Great stuff. I'll give this a shot.

I think the flaw is that it's procedurally generated, whereas horror should generally be quite deliberately paced. The designer himself said it was just a little experiment in teaching himself Unity though.

I think you are right about horror needing to be deliberately paced. Be really interested to see what the designer comes up with next however if he decides to make another horror game.

Obviously what this procedurally generated horror needs is biofeedback. Someone call Gabe Newell!! Still, that could potentially solve the pacing problem.

While the "music" and lighting made the game tense, I played for about 40 floors and the most spooky thing I saw was a shadow...

Then I saw a ghost face that killed me... I guess I "won"?

But by the time that happened, I more angry than tense... I actually was happy to finally have something happen!

From what I've read from the other comments, PiratePoo is right, this game would have been better with a better pacing, just because a game that constantly scares is annoying doesn't mean one that scares too little is just as bad.:tdown:

I remember this SCP.

good implementation; can somebody tell me if they did the crying girl noises like in the story?

I remember this SCP.

good implementation; can somebody tell me if they did the crying girl noises like in the story?

no they didn't

Hate to dig up an old thread, but I just started reading House of Leaves  and it immediately reminded me of this whole thing. I'm really early in the book, but does anyone know if there is a connection?