Jake

IDLE THUMBS KICKSTARTER!

Definitely. I don't listen to the podcast on earbuds, so it's not that important to me, but if the following is correct ...

• It makes it easier to discern overlapping voices
  • It doesn't detract from the audio quality (It's a subtle shift)
  • It's not a complex thing to mix (Adjusting the balance on two tracks)
  • It doesn't double the file size (I'm pretty sure most MP3 encoders supports joint stereo)

... I think they could at least give it a shot and see how it turns out. In fact, the progresscasts would be perfect for that kind of experimentation!

AFAIK they don't have the expensive microphone set-up yet. When that happens, it'd be lovely if we could get 5 minute clips of all microphones from some podcast, just to play around with. But it's enough to consider it, I don't feel donating in the kickstarter entitles me to anything more.

AFAIK they don't have the expensive microphone set-up yet. When that happens, it'd be lovely if we could get 5 minute clips of all microphones from some podcast, just to play around with. But it's enough to consider it, I don't feel donating in the kickstarter entitles me to anything more.

I don't think anyone thought you were trying to cash out your donation, just making a constructive suggestion. And I thought they already had a setup that allowed it. If they'd have to go to great lengths to do it, it's a different matter entirey.

• It doesn't double the file size (I'm pretty sure most MP3 encoders supports joint stereo)

Sure about that? I'm not sure exactly how joint stereo works, but I imagine that it just detects if both channels are the same (for some length of time) then it only saves one channel for that time.

The suggestion to use stereo would mean that there's a subtle difference between L/R channels at all times so it would still be 2 channels all the way. But I might be totally wrong about this.

Nevermind, seems I was wrong.

I don't think anyone thought you were trying to cash out your donation, just making a constructive suggestion. And I thought they already had a setup that allowed it. If they'd have to go to great lengths to do it, it's a different matter entirey.

Well if they don't already have three microphones, I'm pretty sure they'll be the first thing they buy with the money.

Guys, we will try the stereo thing when we get the equipment up and running again. That said, I make absolutely no guarantee that it will be the format in which we release the podcast. To a certain degree it comes down to personal preference, including ours! We'll at least do our homework though.

Our current/previous setup mixed everything down at the board - we weren't sending multiple channels to the computer - which made stereo (and any complex level adjustments) impossible. Personally, I like that people aren't separated out to any degree into separate ears. The only time I listen to podcasts is on the drive to and from work (which I know is pretty prime podcast listening time for a lot of people), and in a car any noticeable stereo separation always always sounds weird to me. Anyway like I said: message received, we'll at least give it a look.

Edited by Jake

Since I'm mostly a headphone listener of Thumbs, you guys should totally buy this.

scaled.php?server=706&filename=holophonichead.jpg&res=medium

It'll be like I'm there! Jake can occasionally lean in close and whisper sweet wizards into my ear, chris strumming his guitar and-- I think I just got goosebumps.

I'M SORRY!! I'm kidding. Maybe.

Guys, we will try the stereo thing when we get the equipment up and running again. That said, I make absolutely no guaranteed that it will be the format in which we release the podcast. To a certain degree it comes down to personal preference. We'll at least do our homework though.

Great, thanks!

Great, thanks!

You quoted me seconds before I fixed all my autocorrect typos! Owned.

Also noteworthly: Apparently donating a shit-ton of money and then making a small request that would require little or no effort from the podcasters is an invitation for abuse.

There's kind of a fanboy thing going on. Sigh. I don't see how it's sacrilege if some of us throw out suggestions, money or no money.

I really don't feel like anything brkl said or suggested was unreasonable or unrealistic, or really even called for ridicule. How on earth does recording something in stereo ruin a whole podcast, guys?!

I think a little bit of stereo mixing to give sense of space would be nice, as long as it doesn't impact file size or sound weird to people.

It's worth looking into at least so that any decisions can be properly informed. So your message is welcome Jake.

So yeah, what everyone else has said.

I’m most impressed by how much “update” content we’re getting—cheers guys!

Very pleased I chipped in already. Anything else is details for me. :tup:

Yeah, the twice a week casts are much more than I expected. Great stuff!

Well seeing how it's very easy to make a mono version from a stereo one, you could never "ruin" the podcast. Even if the stereo version did turn out to be an aberration, a mono version could still be made from it.

While the Stereo thing may help a bunch of other podcasts, I feel like Thumbs are distinct enough that it's not hard to tell them apart. A podcast like Gamers with Jobs probably would benefit from it (also they could deal with less people with the same name), but every thumb is instantly recognizable.

I do think it's a huge issue for those of us who do listen from earbuds, or just headphones in general. I often have to pull out a single earphone for various reasons. Also, in the past 5 years I've probably gone through 10 pairs of headphones. I don't know what's wrong with them, but they just don't seem to be built to last. And when they break, they almost always die one ear at a time. If something is ever recorded in stereo, it's absolutely terrible to listen to in this situation.

Honestly I don't think stereo is worth it for this podcast, but I'll still listen to it if it is recorded that way.

As said before, the point is not to completely separate anyone into one ear or the other, I understood that from Brkl first thing.

I personally think the addition of stereo makes the sound feel crisper and just more professional. You get the feeling of increased dimension. I think I'd enjoy it more as helping me stay involved while listening at work, but stereo is not something I need to distinguish who is talking at all. Also, still don't understand how adding stereo could detract from the sound in any way.

I pretty much only ever listen to podcasts in one ear.

I don't mind Stereocasts, though. Well, as long as I won't, like, lose all the Jake if I'm only singlebudding it. Or whatever the phrase is.

(If you're still confused I cannot help you.)

fuck... this is going to hunt me the whole weekend.

F. Nick Breckon should be on Hypersonic effects channel.

That's going to haunt me for a little while. (I need an error correcting modem)

I seem to recall reading somewhere that Voltaire at one point or other made a living by showing up at dinner parties and being fun to converse with.

This strikes me as relevant somehow.

Like Bill Murray being paid to show up at golf tournaments to be funny and just enjoy himself - which is one of the reasons Ghostbusters 3 is (thankfully!) not being made right now. Seriously, there is no reason whatsoever for another Ghostbusters to ever exist. They were great, let's move on.

OK, there's a real choice here. Either we're going to ruin elmuerte's weekend, or we're going to ruin a pretty cool pun made by Vanaman. I'm on the dinosaur fence here.