Jake

IDLE THUMBS KICKSTARTER!

And those of you saying it'd be a subtle difference, while you're correct, it again adds nothing to the experience of listening to people converse. Subtle audio quality is important in an immersed setting like a video game or film, but the bottom line is the basics are what's important.

Do you know what wouldn't be subtle about a change to stereo? File size. And while download speeds aren't a problem for most people, bandwidth caps are now a thing companies are embracing. I'll admit, as soon as I saw the request for stereo /higher audio output, my brain seized on this.

That may have everything to do with being on mobile broadband though, where I have 5GB a month. If I can save on data use, will.

Well, if they don't do it and there are no technical reasons not to it, they should do it because of the reasons I have mentioned. It just a suggestion for making an improvement to some people's experience of the cast. Not everyone is a native speaker or has perfect ears.

If it's a big chore, it's probably not worth it. Same if it makes the file size too big. But if it's doable I can guarantee there is a marked improvement. I could even cite studies into how much of an improvement...

Can you cite an example of a podcast (or just a brief audio clip) that's mixed the way you have in mind? It's hard to argue one way or the other without knowing what it would actually sound like.

New contest idea! Chris provides the isolated tracks and we see who can come up with the best mix.

OMG DONT DESTORY THE PODCAST!

If someone has a good example of the effect, it'd be cool to hear. Obviously, if it's a lot of work or whatever, they shouldn't bother. If it's simply a matter of adjusting a couple of settings and exporting a new MP3 (I know almost nothing about podcast production) it would maybe be cool to hear what it sounded like. Henroid, you can probably take it easy – I doubt Chris will ruin the podcast just because some people ask him to.

It's pretty unlikely the podcast is going to get that kind of stereo mix unless some amazingly compelling reasons present themselves. Sorry folks!

Hey hey! We edited together a teaser for Thirty Flights of Loving, the Blendo game you get by backing the campaign. It also covers the Thumb-exclusive mode, codenamed "itsbigblum." Check it out!

F3BROWU1yBY

I still want to hear what it would sound like. I'll make it first priority to find an audio sample.

No, I mean make it stereo. It makes a ton of difference! You are using several mikes, right? This means you can place different voices in different places in the stereo image. One guy a bit to the left, one near the centre, one a bit to the right... It makes it a whole lot easier to understand what everybody is saying especially when several people talk at once. It also makes it a lot easier to differentiate between talkers.

I've done some transliteration of conversations for a course. It's a huge pain to begin with, but man is it difficult with a mono source... Stereo makes all the difference. Not that anyone will be transliterating the podcasts, but stereo really makes a difference in clarity.

I totally agree :tup: In the few IT podcasts I listened to it was very hard to discern who was saying what, especially when it was just people laughing or making a quick comment.

And for purists you can also release a mono version.

Someone should create a demo to show the difference it will make to the clarity.

That's some pretty sweet scoring, Chris. I am totally looking forward to this game, looks awesome. :clap:

we've realized you guys have given us the freedom to do some really special stuff in the coming months and years.

scaled.php?server=845&filename=doned.png&res=medium

The Progresscasts opened my appetite for more podcasts, more guests, the book club and any crazy jointed project you guys can tackle. Well done!:yep:

^ nice user name

It's pretty unlikely the podcast is going to get that kind of stereo mix unless some amazingly compelling reasons present themselves. Sorry folks!

7.1 surround or no dice. :fart:

No, but luckily he now works for Idle Thumbs Industries. He started in the mail room but he's worked his way up to being the guy who talks with his face. It's a good gig.