Sign in to follow this  
Noyb

else { Heart.break() }

Else { Heart.break() } is an ambitious new game being developed by a team led by Erik Svedäng, the developer of Blueberry Garden.

0XLNM.jpg

Else { Heart.break() } is a game about being able to change reality. It is set in a mysterious world made up of computers and their code; a place where bits have replaced atoms. The player – who is assumed to have no previous knowledge about programming – gets access to the code and is taught by other characters how to modify it. As the story unfolds the possibilities of what can be reprogrammed, hacked and controlled increases greatly. Eventually the inner parts of the gameplay code are revealed and the barrier between our own world and the game starts to dissolve.

The idea is to create opportunities for truly creative gameplay that goes beyond the kind of puzzle solving and stats improvement normally seen in games. Ideally it even allows the player to free herself from the designer of the game! The goal is an experience that borders the metaphysical, and to create a kind of game where thoughts and knowledge mean everything.

Besides the programming aspect, we also focus on creating great possibilities for interactive drama. The game world will be inhabited by characters living their own little lives. Talking to them and becoming part of their world is a big part of the game and just being in the world should be a fulfilling experience in itself.

):

I like the concept art a whole hell of a lot, but the in-game screenshots don't quite reach that level of awesome for me. Which is sad, because I imagine, based on the description of the game, that the graphics/art style is going to be a good deal of what would make it great.

I'm interested, though. U:

Also, Blueberry Garden is excellent, even though I hated it the first time I played it. So that helps.

Sounds interesting, depending on how this is implemented this could be a nice puzzle game or a game where you interact with your surroundings in a very creative way.

Some notes from a Swedish interview:

- They want to render the computer divine and mysterious, i.e. cast as something more prophetic and mystic (mystic in the sense of communion with something divine).

- The developers have created a "programing language" for the player to use in the game that adheres to it's own internal logic. Following this, the game will be heavily systemized. They gave an example in which the protagonist comes across a locked door, and instead of brute forcing it yourself, you write a program that does it for you.

- Progression in this game is as much about the player (you) as the protagonist (your character). You learn new functions and possibilities which you will apply with what you already know. Now I don't know if this knowledge is unlocked in the traditional sense (i.e. is bound to narrative progression) or if you can play through the game again and apply "endgame-code" to starting areas.

Anyway: ENDLESS EMERGENCE.

P. S. My Swedish is a bit rusty but I think I understood well enough.

I'd be up for a crack at this, despite the fact 1/2 my degree was computer science I still haven't had that moment where programming just clicks, could be the missing link (or not. I am pretty terrible). Code Hero looks to be attempting something similar, might also be worth keeping an eye on.