toblix

The Walking Dead

I got a lot of that "character knowing stuff player doesn't and teasing knowledge out through dialogue options" in the conversation between Lee and the Stranger. After five episodes of Lee being secretive about his past, this was the chance to lay it all out. Or to let it remain a secret forever. And it's as much for the player's benefit as the Stranger's. More so, even. So details inferred become reality, but not in a hit-you-over-the-head way.

Lee said to Christa that she was doing something for two, I can't remember what, but I do know that's what Americans say when that person is pregnant? It happened right before crossing the metal sign.

By the way, did anybody NOT cut Lee's arm off? What happens?

I didn't. I let my analytical part take over, figuring he would be turning/dying anyways, for the sake of the narrative.

It's the only choice I made through the season that was informed by narrative know-how rather than emotion and instinct, presumably because the timer was missing. There have been choices like this before (taking supplies from the car, I believe?), but for some reason, the logic took over this time. In the story there's no reason this should be timed, but it probably have led me to a more gut-feeling choice. I'd be very interested to know if Sean and Jake spent a lot of time discussing whether or not to put the timer there.

I don't think my playthrough was drastically altered by having both arms. Was anything impacted by having just the one? climbing over the sign, or the ladder, for example?

Oh, going through the street to the hotel I had the cleaver in one hand, and a shard of glass clutched in the other, hacking through the crowd with both. How does that work with just one?

Speaking of the supplies in the car, how does the stranger justify his insanity if you don't take the supplies? I took 'em.

Speaking of the supplies in the car, how does the stranger justify his insanity if you don't take the supplies? I took 'em.

If memory serves me well, he commends you for your action, but still blames since you didn't stop the others?

I didn't. I let my analytical part take over, figuring he would be turning/dying anyways, for the sake of the narrative.

It's the only choice I made through the season that was informed by narrative know-how rather than emotion and instinct, presumably because the timer was missing. There have been choices like this before (taking supplies from the car, I believe?), but for some reason, the logic took over this time. In the story there's no reason this should be timed, but it probably have led me to a more gut-feeling choice. I'd be very interested to know if Sean and Jake spent a lot of time discussing wether or not to put the timer there or not.

I don't think my playthrough was drastically altered by having both arms. Was anything impacted by having just the one? climbing over the sign, or the ladder, for example?

Oh, going through the street to the hotel I had the cleaver in one hand, and a shard of glass clutched in the other, hacking through the crowd with both. How does that work with just one?

You just do it with one hand? But how to know if he dies sooner or later than the one who did cut his arm off? But if you made it to the hotel, I assume Lee lives just the same, which is a pity, but makes sense?

Oh I didn't know the others would take it if you said no. Makes sense.

You just do it with one hand? But how to know if he dies sooner or later than the one who did cut his arm off? But if you made it to the hotel, I assume Lee lives just the same, which is a pity, but makes sense?

Yup, collapsed in the street after, and dragged to the jewelry store, same as (I assume) everyone else. Which means I took the right call on the arm, I guess?

Easily my GOTY. Good work Jake and Sean! I'm glad the game has been a huge success and has allowed Telltale to expand.

Yup, collapsed in the street after, and dragged to the jewelry store, same as (I assume) everyone else. Which means I took the right call on the arm, I guess?

Yeah, it looks like cutting off your arm only makes things harder... He still manages to do everything like a badass. It makes sense... they did cut his arm off quite a while after he was bitten, so why would it stop the infection?

Yeah, it looks like cutting off your arm only makes things harder... He still manages to do everything like a badass. It makes sense... they did cut his arm off quite a while after he was bitten, so why would it stop the infection?

Well the bite area is still where the infection is by far the most concentrated. It is there your antibodies will largely try to fight off the infection even if bacteria have gotten into the bloodstream and spread. None of them have any medical training but cutting an infected limb off is common if the infection has spread too much. It could have worked even if it was a while since he was bitten. The only extremely unplausable thing is that Lee is up and jumping about what seems to be just some hours after getting his arm sawed off with no antibiotics, painkillers, bloodtransfusion or anything.

I cut the arm off but from what I can see from some other playthroughs Lee will just not pass out randomely as often.

I just played through these over a 48 hour period, I'm a husk. Absolutely wonderful game. There were tears, and I think the bar has definitely been raised for pun-based achievement names. I have one daft wee question relating to episode 5:

After the stranger is shot there are a couple of indications that you should exit from the left door you came in from and not the right. What's through there?

I just played through these over a 48 hour period, I'm a husk. Absolutely wonderful game. There were tears, and I think the bar has definitely been raised for pun-based achievement names. I have one daft wee question relating to episode 5:

After the stranger is shot there are a couple of indications that you should exit from the left door you came in from and not the right. What's through there?

I'm pretty sure Clem just says "That's not the exit..." and sounds worried and you can't actually go in there. Just what I read so I can't confirm first hand.

I'm only to episode 3...

But by fucking Thor, it's like the seventh Harry Potter book! Vanaman I realize you may have wanted to make up for the second episode being maybe a tiny bit uneventful, but fuck! "Welp, gotta make sure this one's interesting... so let's kill everyone!" On the other hand, I also suppose that makes it easier on heavily branching storyline stuff. "Well, that stuff doesn't have to be considered, those guys are dead!"

Also, this stuff is too damned depressing! I'm taking a break and playing Borderlands 2 and shit.

Definitely the wrong call, Lee's badass-itude is inversely proportional with the number of arms he has.

I just finished. It was awesome and horrible. I'm so confused as to how you get other groups and branches. I guess that is a good thing that i can't see the branching happening (i know where it is of course, but it all seems natural as it runs along).

I was a little thrown every so often by the controls being a bit janky. Wobbly legs while trying to walk past Chuck's mattress was my favourite.

Awesome job all round though, I'm all teared up.

Decided to check this out because it was on sale. Not a fan of the comicbook or tv show and am terrible at traditional adventure games, but so far really enjoying it. It's sort of the best bits out of a bioware game with a little bit of action in between.

Though, woof, just finished episode 4 and thought it was really odd because all the characters just put themselves in terrible situations

and for some reason Lee became a super solider mowing down a lot of enemies;

just didn't feel very grounded compared to the other eps.

I'm not sure how much control Sean and Jake have over the overall story and characters, but I'm noticing the episodes they were leading are my favorite.

I enjoy choices in the game, especially in a conversation system, but I'm not really sure what it's all impacting. There are a few obvious ones, but it seems like there's a lot of choices that aren't really effecting any system or what happens. Does that matter if I'm still enjoying it? I don't know, maybe, or maybe I'm just not seeing how the choices are effecting it? I'd be curious to play again and see how everything pans out, but it really just seems it comes down to who sticks around and who doesn't, which character will come to your aid or not.

I dont know if I am going to finish this... I have a problem with stuff like this, movies, books, whatever where I can pretty much fill in the blanks of the ending and theres just this sense of dread. This isn't a happy ending, so I prefer to make up one in my head. It's just so sad. Also from a video game franchise point of view, Im not sure what they expect will be the hook for the next game, with Lee dead all my motivation to check another series out is gone.

So I started this on Wednesday and just finished Episode 5. Blubbering like a goddamned baby. My goal was to have this finished before I went back to class on Tuesday, so I crammed two episodes into today rather than set aside a day for each as I had been. Fucking shit, guys, Sean in particular. I'm so glad you're getting the recognition you deserve for this one. I've never seen anything of the show or read a single page of the comic book, but what you did is goddamned amazing. Now, knowing that Lily and Glenn are pre-established characters, I guess it would have made things a little less tense for me if I'd known they had to make it, but everything was ridiculously well paced and written. Felt that Episode 2 was a bit easy to read in advance, and the ending of Episode 4 fell a little flat to me (the Clem disappearance, not the bite. The bite was brutal as fuck), but on the whole I've never been so moved by a game. I'd say that if I were to choose the moments that will resonate with me most from 2012, it would be a dead heat between the endings of The Walking Dead Game and the movie Beasts of the Southern Wild.

Both, coincidentally, involving a young black girl having to deal with the death of a father figure. Weird.

My only wish, Sean, is to echo what some others had said and let me tell Clem

"I love you" instead of "I'll miss you." That girl is going to be going through so much shit over the rest of her life, however long it may be, and it means something to hear those words. She needed to hear it, and Lee needed to say it.

. Welp, now I'm starting to tear up again at my keyboard, so I guess I should call it a night. Well done guys. Well. Fucking. Done.

I finished this a couple of days ago. I blubbed. Fantastic.

One thing i'd liked changed for season 2 would be the 'next episode trailers' at the end of each episode. Why not give us an option 'would you like to watch the next episode trailer? Yes/No' it is interactive media after all. Instead i had to put my tele on mute and stare at the wall for 2 minutes

Agreed. Or, cut the trailers like they do with Mad Men next episode promos (can't find any youtube'd examples of this) where they don't give away anything, just have characters speaking out of context, cut in a manner to indicate tone without spoiling content. (And NOT like the trailers from Homeland which are the WORST and totally qualify under *mute* and *turn away from tv* responses.)

The absolute worst example I've seen of this was the mid season cliff hanger of the walking dead (tv) that aired a few weeks ago. Minor spoiler below

A perilous nail biting no way out situation for our heroes, how are they ever going to make it out of that. 3 seconds later "next time on the walking dead" a smoke grenade has gone off, everyone's running around and panicking, the governor looks might pissed off... Oh, I guess they escaped then :fart:

Finished the series last night, and just wow.

I really loved the conversation with the Stranger, who essentially puts all the terrible decisions you've made back in your face, but I'm sad that the station wagon decision didnt actually effect anything. I was really excited when he brought it up so I could explain I didn't do it. Also since I forfeited the chance for Clementine to look like Kangaroo Jack, I was hoping to find some sort of consolation.

On the after-credits scene,

For some reason, the first thing I thought of when I saw the 2 figures over the hill, I hoped they were zombies, so the camera could zoom in on Clementine's eyes suddenly squint angrily, and then hear the sound of her gun cocking as she prepared to kick ass.

EDIT: Also, I'm sad that my last words to Clem cant be "happy birthday" or apologizing about that.

Just finished the second episode and I have a question about the video recording... Actually, I just didn't get it all. Sorry if I'm being stupendously stupid, but what was I supposed to infer from it?

oh yeah, that was kinda pointless. Was it supposed to be that she was looking out for Clem but now she's dead? oh dear

Or final episode game spoiler

Was she the strangers wife...? no. but. That would have been good if she was the strangers wife after they separated