toblix

The Walking Dead

Just finished it. Hey VANAMAN. EVER HEARD OF A

CATHARTIC

ENDING HUH? Christ.

Also,

I really really wanted an option to tell Clem 'I love you' at the end. I had to settle with 'I'll miss you'. Christ Vanaman.

Well, Countdown to Tears confirmed, I wept like a baby during half the game...

Did the game just troll me? Right after cutting my arm off, they give me a long ladder to climb?

Well, I was wrong about who would survive, I guess it makes sense for the couple to survive to take care of Clementine, but the ending after the ending? Did you really have to leave us with Clementine scared out her wits by some shadows in the distance? She has a gun, if it's not Christa and Omid, she'll be fine anyway.

The ending was pretty appropriate, you spend the whole game saving Clementine, then you train her and in the end, she's learnt all she could and you die knowing she'll be O.K.

I don't know what to think about the Kenny and Ben thing, it's kinda strange that he went from "I hate you, Ben!" to "I'll die for you, Ben!". It was also strange that Lee seemed to be in better shape than anybody else right until the ending. Oh, and did anybody think for a second that Lee was about to turn when the zombie at the hotel didn't attack him? I thought "Of course he didn't bite you, you're one of them!". Why did the zombies ignore them, but the one at the jewelry store didn't?

Either way, this is my game of the year... Maybe even game of the lustrum?

So may say this is barely a game, but if this is what you have to do to make us care as much? Then I'm fine with more games like this.

Also,

I really really wanted an option to tell Clem 'I love you' at the end. I had to settle with 'I'll miss you'. Christ Vanaman.

I also wanted this. I was saying it in my chair, over and over, I wanted her to hear me.

Jesus Christ, I couldn't stop crying. I'm still crying, and I finished it 20 minutes ago. Clem has to stay safe, she fucking has to.

I'll admit that I didn't cry, though I wanted myself to want to. Did feel emotionally moved by the whole thing though. I literally couldn't do anything for ~1 hour after completing it.

Telltale would have made a mint if they sold comfort food for all those who completed the game...

Speaking of which, I mentioned how the game made me feel on Twitter and the one tweet in which I say weep like a baby is the one that Telltale retweets and then half the internet after that... I even gained a few followers do to my very unmanly tears, huzzah?

I fear I may have

told Clementine the wrong thing in the end. I told her to always keep moving. It felt like that final choice shouldn't have been such a hurried one.

And thus I hope Season 2 will forget about all the choices I made in Season 1. I don't want to replay it -- I'd like to live forever with the choices I made the one time I played through it. At the same time I don't want the baggage of those choices around in the next story.

Although, I wonder if it would be more effective if it did force me to accept that baggage. (assuming season 2 is even connected to season 1 in any way)

Frankly, I'd rather have the next season not be connected as directly to the first season,

to me the first season is all about Clementine's transformation from damsel in distress to BAMF. It wouldn't be the same, we already know Clementine can take care of herself and I don't think Omid or Christie are good enough characters to be the main characters in the next season. Unless it's an older Clementine taking care of Christie and Omid's kid? That sounds interesting. Then again, playing as young Clementine sounds interesting too. I can just imagine her constantly saving everybody's ass and have them slowing admit she's valuable, maybe even the leader?

I just hope they take another angle what ever they choose and not another "protector to trainer to protected" arc.

I registered on the forums of a podcast I have been listening to a long time (though probably not as long as you, whoever you are) just to have the chance to say this to the Idle Thumbs guys because they had their names on The Walking Dead from Tell Tale ...

At the end there, I as Lee said to Clem...

I didn't say "I'll miss you" because there was all this other important stuff to say and so little time left to say it. I told her about Omid and Christina, I told her she was strong, I told her to stay away from cities, I told her ... *chokes up and tears start to flow again*

Holy shit, I wasn't quite sure if this should even be called a game until this last this last episode, this is most decidely Game. Like GOTY. This is the big pay off, the score, the cry from the audience for an encore.

Where is that gif ... Hey Tell Tale (and the Idle Thumbs guys):

tumblr_mdop0yWaNA1qiabqyo2_500.gif

Just finished episode 5 and that shit was fantastic. I don't know if I've ever played something that's had me so emotionally invested.

My one real episode 5 complaint:

The callbacks that the Stranger makes felt unnecessary and kinda took me out of the moment. It just felt like a really deliberate and obvious way to make you face your past choices and he brought up one too many details. Eventually I just thought to myself enough already game freaking get it. Thought that scene was great otherwise, though it killed me to see Clem kill someone (even a dude that keeps his wife's head in a bag)

Anyway,

I was also a little bummed not to see some more concrete resolution w/regard to Clem and Omid/Christa, but I liked where they went with it anyway. Clem's out there on her own now, ready to face the unknown. I'll miss you Clem!

Also my endgame choice summary screwed up. Somebody tell me what these mean: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=109452918

Also my endgame choice summary screwed up. Somebody tell me what these mean: http://steamcommunit...s/?id=109452918

That sucks. It should be these:

1. Cut off your arm

2. Lost your temper with Kenny

3. Gave up your weapons

4. Killed the stranger

5. Had Clem shoot you

Yes! Share the despair with your friends and family, the perfect Thanksgiving gift! (I have no idea if you get gifts on Thanksgiving)

Yes! Share the despair with your friends and family, the perfect Thanksgiving gift! (I have no idea if you get gifts on Thanksgiving)

Only if it's the gift of awkward family moments and obesity! :rimshot:

My one complaint about episode 5:

The "desperate person in bed who shot himself rather than live in a world of zombies (bonus if it's two people holding hands) isn't this aftermath striking and poignant" is groan-inducingly cliche to me. I almost didn't believe it was happening.

Other than that, tears. One of the best games I've played of late. And worst. Fuck you guys.

Only if it's the gift of awkward family moments and obesity! :rimshot:

My one complaint about episode 5:

The "desperate person in bed who shot himself rather than live in a world of zombies (bonus if it's two people holding hands) isn't this aftermath striking and poignant" is groan-inducingly cliche to me. I almost didn't believe it was happening.

Other than that, tears. One of the best games I've played of late. And worst. Fuck you guys.

How many people have shot themselves or asked to be shot in this game? Katjaa, Duck, the girl at the hotel, we goddamned murdered Larry and Kenny shot Ben... and and of course Lee got shot by Clementine. Why did this particular event seem cliche?

Because it's in every single zombie apocalypse ever, and you didn't get to see any of the reasons behind it unlike the rest.

Point taken, but I think the point of that event was for you to make up in your mind what they did and why. Did they kill themselves quickly because they couldn't cope? Was one of them bitten? Were they just stupid and somehow thought it would be romantic to go away together without putting up a fight?

God damn, great job Sean and Jake (and the rest of Telltale of course)! I think you just ended the countdown to tears and I'm absolutely serious about that.

Sean Vanaman and Jake Rodkin. You damn guys made a fine game! You better be proud of the hellish ride of emotions you have created.

My GOTY.cx of this year. Without a doubt and clearly the chosen one.

The episode was a short one, shorter than any of the episodes so far, but what a soul crunching episode.

My only complaint is that in the beginning only Kenny was with me on the rescue mission at the hospital, but he said in at least three different occasions "we though we lost you" "We kept it secure at our end" etc. I thought he had a multiple personality disorder, but I believe the dialog had a bug because he was alone and talking to Lee.

I just thought of how weird it must be to make these games. Playing through the finished thing once or twice is one thing; imagine starting from scratch and building it all piece by piece; watching sad and horrible sequences a million times, adjusting camera, lighting and animation, seeing a dark, gut-wrenching moment become hilarious because a character's eyes freeze in place or bounce out of their ass, tuning dialogue and music cues for hours and then ending up cutting the whole thing. Anyway, that's what I imagine it's like. By the end you must be weirdly both into and distanced from the game at the same time.

And the

arm

scene was the most physically-ill-making interactive thing I've done.

I finally started playing this, just finished episode 3. Really digging it, and this is coming from someone who generally just isn't into adventure games at all anymore.