toblix

The Walking Dead

It's supposed to be a "play button" representation to indicate the video is going, but those are mostly isosceles and this is scalene, you know?

I've been ignoring this thread due to spoilers, (so apologies if my comments are redundant) but I just finished Ep.4. I like it but agree it's not the best one. My preference is 2,3,1,4. 2 had the most "oh shit" moments and some great tension and atmosphere. 3 had the best, most gut-wrenching emotional moments.

I wish there wasn't gun play in these games though. It's so, so bad. And when you die from janky controls it just completely takes you out of the game. I thought the hotel infiltration in 1 and the sewer escape in 4 were much better in terms of Telltale's approach to 'actiony' gameplay.

It's supposed to be a "play button" representation to indicate the video is going, but those are mostly isosceles and this is scalene, you know?

To be honest, that doesn't bother me as much as the tapes being inserted into the camcorder facing the wrong way.

I think the shaky gunplay works for the game. Makes it, uh, more tense. Kinda like everyone says about Resident Evil? But here I think it works better because it's not outright annoying.

That said, it's ridiculously easy to actually hit where you're supposed to hit. There's very rarely a moment where I feel really rushed for time during a gun-shootin' scene, and you don't even have to aim directly at a zombie head. Just in the general area. U:

If it had the controls of say Resident Evil 4, I wouldn't mind it at all. But it's awkward and unwieldy. Which makes dying during those sections feel really lame.

I took a few days off this week due to my birthday and played through episodes 2. 3 and 4 in a few sittings. I played the first episode last week.

My episodes ranking are very clearly this: 3,1,4,2.

To me the third episode was a real emotional roller coaster with constant surprises around the corner, I was cursing Vanaman's name out loud in my apartment and my dog thought I had lost my mind. The episode was so brilliantly written that I was almost in tears here.

Episode 2 was the weakest, too many weird plot decisions and characters that were some unfitting to the whole big picture.

Like Mark for example, I had a wtf feeling when the episode started that who is this guy, why are they suddenly introducing some new stranger to the group between the episodes, but then he was just a plot device to be killed in the episode and serve as one of the culmination points of the episode.

I killed the first brother and let the second one life, I felt bad that Clementine saw Lee kill the first one.

The problem I had with that episode was that I somehow had a hunch in the back of my head immediately when the brothers arrived that they are cannibals. It just seemed to fit all too well in to the Walking Dead universe of thinking how things go. There was no ultimate surprise reveal to me in what happened at the end of the episode.

Then about the 3rd one:

There were so many twists and turns in this one that Sean really did the tricks in this one and it worked! I was gutted when Lilly shot Carlie, in my game session Carlie was turning up to be a trusted ally and possible love interest to Lee, and then that crazy Lilly shot her in the face! I was thinking later that can the end result be changed somehow that Lilly would in her crazy paranoia shoot that Ben kid instead because she started being suspicious about him also. I guess this is the point where also Doug dies if I would've chosen Doug to live in the first episode?

So yeah, I let Doug die in the first one by the way.

And I left Lilly on the side of the road because she was way too paranoid, though if she would've shot Ben, I was ready to still take her in the RV because I had also my suspicions about him. He was the only new character in the group at that point and too depressed that his friends and teacher died. That is why also I let Ben fall and die in episode 4 at the clock tower. Though it's freaky and cold to say but it was his time to go and I thought that something else bad would happen if Lee would try to save him.

This game seriously deserves another playthrough after I've completed the first time when episode 5 comes out. So many things I want to see and try out, there are ton of dialogue possibilities that I have missed out on and

it was awesome to see that there are EIGHT choices at the end of episode four in how it can turn out with who are in the final rescue mission group.

I have no particular order other than that I really agree with you on the 2nd episode.

I arrived at the farm and my thought process was "This is great! Wait... This is great... This is too good to be true!" and then the cannibal thing popped right into my head. Still, the build up was solid and, this how I feel about all the episodes, there are some great moments. One in particular in episode 2, when Kenny bashes in Larry's head; that was a great "WHAT THE FUCK" panic inducing moment and the whole escape that followed. Plus, I actually really liked Mark and how he was introduced, but at the end because he was killed off so quickly, he felt more like a plot device, like you said.

A lot of favorite moments spread across the episodes. Really looking forward to episode 5.

I just now played through the first four episodes. I don't have much to say that hasn't already been said.

My first thought is: Bravo! This game has really gotten into my head. It has thoroughly driven into my head a certain sense of dread and futility about the post-apocalyptic world. By killing off characters on a more than regular basis - usually right after you start to get attached to them - the game seems to be training the player to start thinking of the other characters as disposable resources rather than the fleshed out humans they're written as.

My second thought is: The way choices work in this game is a little frustrating. In the first episode, it seemed like I was making choices left and right that might eventually have major consequences down the road. The second episode seemed to carry this through as well, by remembering so many of my decisions from before. But the rapid progression of character death ends up undermining this somewhat. Why should I care if I've pissed off Lily or Kenny if they'll both be dead by the end of the game? I understand that a certain amount of rail-roading is necessary to keep the plot progressing, and the frequent character deaths are necessary to maintain a sense of dread. I'm not really sure what the solution is, but this does seem to stand out.

Looking forward to / completely dreading Episode 5!

How did everyone feel about the character tie-in aspect?

(Spoilers below about which characters are crossovers, but no story spoilers about these characters.)

Both Glenn and Lily were taken from the comic/show(?) and placed in the game.

Personally, even if in the back of my mind I knew that both characters would have to be alive to do X in the main narrative, I felt both (especially Lily) were fleshed out enough to differentiate them from my previous knowledge of the character. I think TWDTG does a pretty great job of making me feel so wrapped up in the current event that I forget that certain characters cannot be in mortal danger.

But ultimately, this immunity does diminish the stakes, and I hope that, since the game has proven so popular, that TT will feel that it can stand on its on legs without the need to do weird crossover stuff.

So, I'm not sure if I mentioned this before, but in Ep 2, I sort of got it right from the start - my initial thought was that they

were eating zombie meat

Incidentally reading through the credits for 3 and 4 I was saddened to learn that one of the Telltale pets - the betta fish - had died.

By the way, I started thinking about the competition Telltale had around the time the first episode came out.

Did they announce at any point who won "the become a character in the game and then you will be zombified also"?

And if it was already done then was it the one who was Mark?

Did they announce at any point who won "the become a character in the game and then you will be zombified also"?

I don't know if it was ever officially announced anywhere, but Brie was the contest winner.

I have no particular order other than that I really agree with you on the 2nd episode.

I arrived at the farm and my thought process was "This is great! Wait... This is great... This is too good to be true!" and then the cannibal thing popped right into my head. Still, the build up was solid and, this how I feel about all the episodes, there are some great moments. One in particular in episode 2, when Kenny bashes in Larry's head; that was a great "WHAT THE FUCK" panic inducing moment and the whole escape that followed. Plus, I actually really liked Mark and how he was introduced, but at the end because he was killed off so quickly, he felt more like a plot device, like you said.

A lot of favorite moments spread across the episodes. Really looking forward to episode 5.

Yeah, definitely on board with the episode 2 twist being really heavy-handedly hinted at from the beginning. I also immediately jumped there.

I've been playing it on PC with a controller. In my experience, the controller works better than mouse and keyboard. Also you can only buy the entire package on steam, as opposed to individual episodes on consoles.

I haven't seen anything regarding the iPad version, but if the controls work (and there's no virtual keypad nonsense) I'm sure it would be a pretty neat medium to play on.

Has anyone called out the visual design yet? Because I'm noticing the more I play it that the general look and atmosphere of the world are one of the key elements drawing me in to the universe and its mood of despair. The design does a good job of suggesting a comic book without literally mimicking it. It also avoids looking cartoony or childish in a silly way, while maintaining a very distinct visual identity. (Sort of the opposite of Star Wars: The Old Republic, to compare it to something completely unrelated.) The deaths and zombies look appropriately gruesome and disturbing, even without "dark-and-gritty realism" as implemented by seemingly every other zombie game. (I wish I had better words.)

Achievements for last episode are live in Steam, not checking those out closer as I don't want to get even a hint about spoilers, but yeah season end coming up real soon.

I assume Sean is writing the last episode as he wrote the first and third also?

Countdown to tears is reaching zero soon.

I just picked this up! Bin meaning to for a while, but had to finish other games first.. I just beat Episode 2.

Oh and I'm not reading any of these posts.

This game is fucked up! I'm not really into stuff like

people crawling around with their legs cut off

so I'm actually kind of worried about Episode 3 being reportedly worse. I already feel like crap here!

My choices so far are stuff that's all already been said:

Saved Doug, crushed Larry, Shot the crazy woman in the woods in Ep 2. DIDN'T pitchfork the first farm brother, but DID shoot the other one. I'm not typically the kind of person who figures out where a plot is going, but for some reason I immeadiately assumed the farm folk were cannibals. I didn't trust them, and then I remember it was EXACTLY as I picked up the rope to fix the swing, I thought "Oh shit they're all cannibals!"

Oh and I failed to cut that guy's leg off at the start.

I don't feel particularly GOOD about any of it :(

EDIT- Actually nobody else said this: I shot Jolene to maintain the status quo. I wanted to sleuth out the dairy farm, and if I came back with a dead brother then that would've upset our whole situation. So I silenced Jolene and kept Danny in the dark that I was onto them.

One thing that sticks out to me: it seems like everyone really likes Clementine. She's fine,.but she's pretty flat to be honest. She just says "okay" and "I'm fine" and smiles at everything. Didn't your parents and all your school friends dissapear 3 months ago? Ya don't have ANYTHING to say about having a new dad?

She piped up a couple times near the end of Ep 2, and I heard she gets better along the way, so aaaa I'll give em the benefit of the doubt.

EDIT- OH GOODIE I can watch more episodes of Playing Dead now that I know all the spoilers.

One of my favourite parts of the game so far is when Kenney chewed me out for trying to be neutral and sit on the fence and be nice with everyone. If this was Mass Effect, that would've worked. I'm glad it didn't.

OH-- and at the end of Episode 2,

when you lead the woman up the stairs to a waving pair of hands, I thought they were Doug's hands. I was expecting that Doug sneaked around the back and was gonna swipe the gun or something, so when it turned out to be zombie-Mark I actually laughed for a sec and thought "Nice work, Mark!"

...also I'm kind of interested, why was the multi-tool a "Multi-Tool", and not a screwdriver?

Also yes it's very funny that we all gave food to Larry so that maybe he'd like me.

Assuming Lee dies at the end, will the title card come up immediately after he shoots himself? I don't want to see Clem get on that boat, what a ridiculous plan!