toblix

The Walking Dead

I just wish I could help Ben by punching him in the face.

He's the Pete Campbell of The Walking Dead.

Since they kept talking about I thought it was likely that at least one dude in Crawford

derived pleasure from killing children. Having aced the part where you teach Clem to shoot I felt pretty good about leaving her behind.

I think it's great how the game creates distance from you and Clem by giving her own agenda and the willfulness to act on it. I was really disappointed that I wasn't able to hold Clem when she was crying. That was my moment of "what the fuck, Lee?" that everyone seems to experience at some point.

It's funny to me how a lot of people (not here especially) are calling episode four weaker than the rest, and yet it still has half-a-dozen incredible moments in it. I never want to touch a shovel again.

Right, but isn't killing the doctor and then fighting her way out just another kind of death sentence? If her goal is just to leave Crawford, and the doctor told her she could do that, why didn't she just leave peacefully? I just don't understand why she had to kill anyone.

And what chance would a young pregnant woman have all on her own? No doubt she was already a little insane having to deal with Crawford, period, and that pushed her over the edge of "why won't you just fucking let me have my baby". Or something. That's how I read into it.

Also, the "abortion stuff", as you put it, really wasn't about abortion at all. I mean, I could be wrong, but I thought the whole point was just to emphasize that, while the people in Crawford may have survived (to a point), they were sacrificing a lot in order to do so. And it was that sacrifice - a sacrifice she didn't want to make, and yet had no other realistic choice - that drove her to the brink and beyond. A little cheesy, I suppose, but... yeah. That's what I got out of it.

Lee: "I recognize that doctor. He was one of the walkers in the alley by the auto shop"

Me: "hah!"

Old Guy: "You should go search him"

Me: "oh.."

Don't worry, I got the steam code and have installed it. Didn't know you were having technical issues – it soothes my entitled gamer rage.

Played the game for a little bit. Seeing Sean and Jake in the credits was cool, the super-serious "the game is tailored by how you play" message screen reminded me of Fargo and Peter Molyneux and Japanese games, and just the intro (in the car), particularly the

"WATCH OUT!"

thing, was maybe the best thing Telltale has or have done.

Unfortunately, I'm having some issues with the game. It seems Telltale has really settled on weirdly low-quality sound in the games (the compression, not the production). If it's for size reasons (there's probably lots of dialogue) I really wish they would let me download a mega hacker's edition with higher quality sound from their ftp and I could unrar it into my game folder at my own peril. The sound's not a game breaker, but it really takes me out of it when a character snorting sounds like my computer is about to crash. It's an old complaint, but I'm not done with it.

Completely game breaking, however, is the general performance – every time a new asset is streamed in (I'm just guessing here) the game freezes for half a second to a second (or skips ahead, making me miss what the hell just happened). This happens every time a new animation is loaded or the camera switches (I just gave up right at the start of chapter 2, as it turned into a frustrating series of pauses).

Anyway, I'm guessing these things (the last thing, anyway) will be sorted out in time, and I'll get to experience it properly. From what I'm hearing, and judging by the little I saw, it's terrific.

I'm replying to toblix's old comment from way back in April, it's been six months now and four episodes are out. I started playing The Walking Dead finally last week and I'm in the middle of the second episode right now.

I'm having the same issues as toblix had, but I'm having these with both episodes so far and it's annoying as hell when it happens in every cutscene or action scene. I almost couldn't play the second episode as these glitches and sound and movement clipping just became worse in that episode. Has Telltale done anything to fix this stuff on PC. The QA seems a bit lacking on PC side when these kind of problems slip through as they affect the overall gameplay throughout the game and it's episodes.

I have contacted Telltale in their forums at the Support pages, but I haven't received any reply yet.

EDIT: Ahh ok, should've read further, I'll also try dropping the shadow quality. Weird that quad core and NVIDIA GTX560 are not powerful enough to run high detail shadows in The Walking Dead. :)

There were some issues with episode 1.

When I talked with Hershel at the farm, I said to him that the guy is Clementine's neighbour, but then at one point in that conversation Hershel said something about Clementine being the guy's daughter. Weird...

Also at the motel three sentences came without audio, that was strange.

I have to ask that is there any skip dialogue button for those cases when you hear the same dialogue again? Or is it a conscious choice to leave that button out of the design?

I think Telltale are doing this weird thing where, every time they start a new series or season of a game, they turn down the sound quality, and then gradually turn it it back up. I expect that the first thing that'll strike me when starting The Walking Dead Season 2 is that «hey, this sounds like shit!»

ANYWAY, any word of episode 5? Sometime in November, probably?

At least the console collector's edition is coming out in early December so I would think the fifth downloadable episode will come out in this month.

Such a shame that if Telltale is making their own version again of the Walking Dead dvd set, I can't get it the same way just for the price of shipping as I got the previous games now that I got this from Steam.

I think Telltale are doing this weird thing where, every time they start a new series or season of a game, they turn down the sound quality, and then gradually turn it it back up. I expect that the first thing that'll strike me when starting The Walking Dead Season 2 is that «hey, this sounds like shit!»

ANYWAY, any word of episode 5? Sometime in November, probably?

Our engine has an insane default audio compression setting from 2006, and somehow we have accidentally shipped multiple games with the default setting and had to patch in new audio.

Should we just change the default? That would make a lot of sense. Have we? Well, here we are.

Should we just change the default? That would make a lot of sense. Have we? Well, here we are.

Christ, this line just.... just reading it in my head, it was TOTAL JAKE. I heard it in my head in Jake's voice.

Then I checked to see who posted it and BAM! Jake.

(hi jake)

I bet someone has already said this in this thread but the Walking Dead game(s) is really good.

I agree with the sentiment that the fourth episode is the weakest so far. Especially after how good 1, 2, and 3 were. For me it was pacing and writing issues. The writing, stuff the characters were saying in particular, just seemed really flat. Lots of cheap shots.

The dog and the little boy and the burial were introduced and payed off almost immediately.

I didn't feel any connection to what I was doing there.

Also: the bite at the end. So unfair.

This is the only episode that took me more than two sessions to complete. I think it was like 5 for me, from when it came out to now.

I'm replaying them after a lil' bug, and so far my favourite lines are a tie between 'How do ya like that cow, Clem?' and Larry's string of stuttery curses at the dinner table. Episode 2 still stands out to me as a great standalone episode.

I agree with the sentiment that the fourth episode is the weakest so far.

I thought it was missing a certain something. OR SOMEONE.

I thought it was missing a certain something. OR SOMEONE.

Yeah, I miss Duck too.

:(

Dude... You've been, uh, missing since Episode 1.

Also, I don't think that Episode 4 was the weakest. My order goes: 3,1,4,2. I genuinely think that Sean has a fantastic knack for the writing that this world needs, and neither ep 2 nor 4 could match up to that. Nothing in 4 really hit me emotionally; and Episode 2 feels like it doesn't even need to have existed -- it added nothing, bar Ben, that I can think of.

ONLY IF YOU MADE THE WRONG DECISION

seriously he made a zombie early-warning system

an early warning system

Also, I don't think that Episode 4 was the weakest. My order goes: 3,1,4,2. I genuinely think that Sean has a fantastic knack for the writing that this world needs, and neither ep 2 nor 4 could match up to that. Nothing in 4 really hit me emotionally; and Episode 2 feels like it doesn't even need to have existed -- it added nothing, bar Ben, that I can think of.

What!! It's one of the best ones! Not only is it a great story by itself, it builds up so much stuff that pays off in episode 3...

What!! It's one of the best ones! Not only is it a great story by itself, it builds up so much stuff that pays off in episode 3...

In my playthrough, the dynamic between Lee and Kenny and Lee and Lilly hinged entirely on that episode. I feel like that those relationships really define the experience of the rest of the game, so I find it fairly important.

I'm with you on episode 2 if not episode 4.

I feel like Mark came out of nowhere and I had no connection to him. The impact in episode 2 came from a series of "cheap shots", overwhelmingly horrifying scenes and conversations that gave impact but that I did not believe. The people on the farm I just didn't understand, from the abstract evil of Danny to the complacent friendliness of the mother etc. To me, the endorsed cannibalism lacked the guilt it would need to be believable, as well as the sense that it was prolonged.

I don't know, I just found the whole thing really fake and over the top. The version in The Road (book) was both more real and more impact full to me.

I also don't understand why nobody has EVER suggested restraining a bite victim they hope might live.

I just got done playing Episode 4. While I don't feel the story content was able to match the tension of Episode 3, I think it ended in a really interesting place.

I'm definitely looking forward to at least one more playthrough after I've finished Episode 5 to see if I can end up with a completely different party.

One gripe, though:

2362680-2012_11_07_00004_super.jpg

How could you guys let that triangle ship like that???

How could you guys let that triangle ship like that???

Oh man! I completely agree; that triangle drives me up the wall. I thought I was the only one. I didn't notice it until after the game had shipped, but now I can't not see it.