toblix

The Walking Dead

For a moment I thought June was in August or something, but now I realize the new one is coming this month. Yay! can't wait.

It's brave to force the player to make some really tough choices.

And...?

New Episode is out today, it is queued up on my X360 for when I get home tonight, cannot wait.

Video was put up of a bunch of the choice statistics, pretty interesting:

I also just watched the fourth episode of "Playing Dead", which has Sean and Jake in again. It's older so some of you may have already seen it (though I don't think it's been linked in this thread at least):

In it Sean mentions someone making a forum post to the effect of "I'm not going to save Carly, she knows!" - he then attributes it to SomethingAwful, but I wonder if he was actually thinking of this post by Tanu:

Oh man, that was you in the game? And your voice? I had no idea! Ooops!

Wait, that means you can be saved? I thought it was like the tractor thing!

Screw the girl, she knows my secret! XD

Although that said I do seem to recall someone saying something more emphatically "SHE KNOOOWS" but I thought it was on a PC Gamer podcast or something. I dunno, maybe a number of people had that reaction.

Supposedly the second episode drops for PC tomorrow, but only for North America? Does that mean my Steam just won't update or what? If so I might have to do some proxy jiggery-pokery, as I presume if I just get the game to update it will then run the episode fine once I switch back to a standard EU connection. If Telltale actually coded the game to continuously check region before allowing you to play a given episode I will be equal parts surprised, impressed and pissed off.

Just finished the episode, thoroughly enjoyed it. The main puzzle makes no logical sense though and I have one complaint about characters. However, I am going to wait until more people have played it before venting my frustrations.

All the same, well done for creating a better story than the TV series.

If there's one thing I kind of don't like about the Big Choice in the first episode, it's that I couldn't let both of them die. The first time, I was fucking paralyzed and couldn't decide who to save and I took too long and then the screen blacked out and it said "You died". While letting both of them die is the worst, I would've liked to see a scenario in which that didn't arbitrarily* kill me.

*At the time, at least, that's what I felt. I saved Carly, the second time around, and I think she helps you out the rest of the way? I can't recall exactly, anymore. U:

Is the new episode supposed to be out? Because it isn't for me.

Holy shit:

SAN RAFAEL, Calif., June 29, 2012 -- Telltale Games have sat on the next episode of their award-winning video games series for days, waiting until today, this special day, to release it for the PC.

"The Netherlands Veterans Day (Veteranendag) is maybe the most important day in the calendar," explains video game designer Jake Rodkin. "It's only natural we release the long-awaited sequel on this most special of days."

The Walking Dead: Episode Two – Starved for Help is rated 'M' (Mature) for Blood and Gore, Intense Violence and Strong Language by the ESRB.

For more information on the game, visit the official website, Facebook and follow us onTwitter. For more information on The Walking Dead, Robert Kirkman and all of his titles, visitwww.skybound.com.

About Telltale, Inc.

Telltale is a leading independent developer and publisher of games for every major gaming platform and is the pioneer of the episodic delivery of digital gaming content. By developing games as series and successfully releasing on a schedule, they create longer consumer engagement than traditional games for each release. Founded in 2004 by games industry veterans with decades of experience, Telltale has quickly become an industry leader, establishing the model for successful episodic game creation and digital publishing. Telltale has sold more than 5 million episodes since 2005. Telltale's reputation for quality has been established across more than 25 published releases, winning numerous awards including, "Adventure Game of the Year" accolades from publications such as IGN, PC Gamer, GameSpy, and Adventure Gamers. Telltale has also been recognized by mainstream outlets ranging from USA Today, to The New York Times and Variety. Telltale currently develops and publishes episodic series on Xbox 360®, Apple® iOS devices, PlayStation®3, PC, Mac, and Wii™.www.telltalegames.com

About Veteranendag

Veterans Day is an annual day of remembrance in the United States which pays homage to everyone who has served in the armed forces, especially the living veterans. Veterans Day is a national holiday held on 11 november. This is Veterans Day with similar anniversaries in the rest of the world as Armistice Day and Remembrance Day, Veterans Day as the end of the First World War. Since the Netherlands was neutral during the First World War, is the Dutch Veteran but on another day. Until 1954 Veterans Day was called Armistice Day yet.

© 2012 Telltale, Inc. THE WALKING DEAD is © 2012 Robert Kirkman, LLC. Based on the Comic Book by Robert Kirkman, Tony Moore and Charlie Adlard. Telltale and the Telltale Games logo are trademarks of Telltale, Inc. All rights reserved.

All product titles, publisher names, trademarks, artwork and associated imagery are trademarks, registered trademarks and/or copyright material of the respective owners. All rights reserved.

"PlayStation" is a registered trademark of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox LIVE are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.

Speaking of which, I'm downloading a 957MB patch for the Walking Dead on Steam right now.

If this isn't episode two I'm going to cry.

Just finished Episode 2, and it didn't disappoint.

I really liked the early-episode conversation interruption. It happened so quickly, and at a point where I felt safe enough that I wasn't actually sure what was going on for a few seconds.

I'm also glad that I'm hating characters because of their attitudes and how they act towards me, and not because they're shitty characters. Almost every time Lilly talked to me, I would respond myself with a "Fuck you, you asshole!" in addition to whatever in-game reactions there were. I only ever talked to her when it seemed absolutely necessary. And though I know I would have brained Larry anyway, the way he acted helped to make the decision a much more quick one.

I'm also interested to see where Kenny's going, because his talk of "taking over" the farm, being the better leader, etc. is a bit unsettling to me, and it's going to make it harder to side with him if he keeps doing things like that.

With the way Andy was avoiding having to talk about it, and the claim that there were strange noises, I had it in my mind that the locked room in the barn was going to be a sort of kennel for the zombified farmer husband/father who was being kept and fed captured survivors. The whole cannibalism thing is much more interesting, and the added wrinkle that you have to keep people alive so they don't "spoil" makes it all the more disturbing.

Finished episode 2, and I'm unsettled bordering on disturbed.

So thank you, and fuck you.

Opening chapter was perfect, sets everything up nicely. The Kenny - Lilly power struggle continues to deliver. I ended up playing middle of the road/peacemaker more than I probably should have. By the end of the chapter it is pretty clear that Kenny is a loose cannon who doesn't have my back. Lilly may be a bitch (like her father), but she is at least a well meaning bitch. I now wished I hadn't let her father Larry get the better of me, and sided with her more often.

Even if I saw it coming, I didn't believe you'd actually go there. The living meat host that was Mark was straight up horrific. When I think zombie horror, I usually expect some low level horror... that wasn't it. Morphine delirious live butchering, with a side of cannibalistic dinner party... That peaked pretty high on my horror meter. Much higher than I expected you guys to go. Which made it all the more effective.

Looking forward to the next episode.

I just replayed the first episode to change a few things and the game still made me cringe a bit (in a good way) even though I knew what was going to happen.

PS: It looks like even less people saved Doug that before!

PSS: Didn't we have a spoiler button a moment ago?

I just beat the second episode 2 and I'm happy I replayed the first one and

saved Doug. He was pretty helpful I wonder if the people who didn't save him didn't get to see the camcorder thing? Does the reporter find some other evidence on the crazy lady?

The moment Kenny was wondering what was going on in the back of the barn and I saw the wheelbarrow with clothes and blood and I KNEW they were cannibals... It's pretty ironic that the mom got eaten by the guy whose legs they ate.

I restarted a few sections when the results didn't satisfy me, like when I figured out the jerk was going to die I sided with Kenny, I'm not going to lose loyalty if he isn't even going to make it!

I loved how the game picks up the smallest tidbit from the previous game's decision, like when Clementine used the word "manure" because we taught her it in the first episode.

How different is the game to those who don't have Doug, if there is no alarm, how do they meet the brothers? Without the laser pointer, who saves me in the end? And the camcorder thing I mentioned before too!

The only thing I feel I should talk about is the crazy lady, what happened to her kid? Did the bandits kill and or rape her? Did the farmers eat her? She is a lunatic, so I can't really believe everything she says... But seeing how much she hates men, I think some rape was involved... Although I hope not

Great episode!

Had to make some quick choices that I later regretted. This game is pretty good at that -- at making your choices really matter.

I installed the new episode yesterday, today when I try to play the dang game crashes everytime right after or during it connects to the Telltale server. Dangit.

On a sillier note, since I started taking gardening classes I noticed how good the flora looked, not only do they have detailed trees, the have DIFFERENT looking ones... I'll shut up now. ¬_¬U

Huh. I deleted the files the game downloads for the new episode, downloaded it again and played it through without closing the game. Now, if I start the game, it crashes again. But at least I got to play the episode and it was a good one! Making these choices is hard. I constantly second guessing myself and trying to figure out what I should do. It's like a completely different game from any out there. No game has this choice making as pretty much the primary gameplay mechanic.

Huh. I deleted the files the game downloads for the new episode, downloaded it again and played it through without closing the game. Now, if I start the game, it crashes again. But at least I got to play the episode and it was a good one! Making these choices is hard. I constantly second guessing myself and trying to figure out what I should do. It's like a completely different game from any out there. No game has this choice making as pretty much the primary gameplay mechanic.

Yes, it's quite good. It keeps putting you under this sometimes real but sometimes seeming time pressure and then force you to make a choice. In a couple of places I felt like I should have had more time to look around or explore before taking one path or the other, but that's a minor complaint. One thing that is good is that I never really wanted to go back and choose differently, but maybe that just speaks of how little time I have to spend playing games these days. How does the REWIND option work? haven't tried it yet.

:tup: The mid-dialogue zombie attack. The best example of conveying a feeling using video game mechanics I've ever seen. Just perfect. Every adventure game designer and developer should play these games to see what you can actually do if you allow yourself to play with established mechanics and do something unexpected. I don't know how much extra work (if any) was required to implement that, but I'm guessing that short moment will remain the high point of the series for a lot of people.

:tdown:"Golly, this plank here is just too darn long. Oh, I sure wish I had something to cut it in half with!"

:tup: The plank-sawing animation

:sombrero: Putting the plank in his back pocket

:sombrero: Putting the plank in his back pocket

This was a ridiculous favorite of mine. I guess the axe also disappears to somewhere mysterious, but seeing Lee reach back and vanish the plank behind him highlighted its game-ness

Also,

Tense stand-off tragically ending with an armed, desperate woman being shot in the headLOL THX FOR SHOPPING AT SAVE LOTS LOL J/K