toblix

Broken Sword 5: Legacy of The Something

I didn't even know there was a Broken Sword 4 until I read about it in my book about adventure games... :getmecoat

As long as there are no more Sokobon puzzles I'm game!

Is this site new? I remember somebody talking about it on Twitter, is this made by a Thumber or a Thumb friendly?:erm:

Apparently it's a bunch of video games journalism superstars or something. I've read a few articles and found them quite good. I don't know about any relation to Idle Thumbs.

Yeah, seems like a very promising new site that focuses on indie/cheaper games (most adventure games nowadays by necessity, then). They had a really good Schafer interview the other day concerning the kickstarter thing — of course, you already saw that on Mojo. :tup:

Er as for BS5, I am quite intrigued. The original pair remain cemented in my 'best of all time' list, and while I was completely unimpressed by the series' move into 3D that doesn't mean another approach couldn't be wonderful.

Of course, does the Revolution of today have anything at all in common with its older incarnation? I recall at one point Cecil was basically running things Autumn Moon-style (ie: bunch of contractors). Is he a Schafer kind of designer or did his team deserve most of the credit?

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?! You think you have a grip on reality, you think the days of the high profile adventure game are over, and suddenly Tim Schafer gets almost 2 million Dollars to make one and Revolution are creating Broken Sword 5 in 2D. I can't express how insane this is, not in the least for this all to happen in a single week.

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?! You think you have a grip on reality, you think the days of the high profile adventure game are over, and suddenly Tim Schafer gets almost 2 million Dollars to make one and Revolution are creating Broken Sword 5 in 2D. I can't express how insane this is, not in the least for this all to happen in a single week.

It is rather weird, isn't it? And true to form, Revolution are getting a LOT less attention. Lol.

I've known that Charles Cecil's been working on a 2D Broken Sword game for a few months now, actually. He broke it in an interview with some obscure site.

As for adventure games: yayness, and I hope this gets TTG to up their game a bit.

I've known that Charles Cecil's been working on a 2D Broken Sword game for a few months now, actually. He broke it in an interview with some obscure site.

As for adventure games: yayness, and I hope this gets TTG to up their game a bit.

Whenever someone says they want TTG to up their games, my brain translates it to: "Screw logical puzzles! I want moon logic! Bring back the honey car stache puzzle!".:getmecoat

They haven't confirmed it's Broken Sword yet, right? It could be "In Cold Blood 2"? :mock:

From the thing I linked I got the impression it's probably Broken Sword, just not formally announced.

It'd be amazing if it was BASS 2.

No, if they touch BaSS I'm kicking Cecil in the balls then in the teeth.

No, if they touch BaSS I'm kicking Cecil in the balls then in the teeth.

They wouldn't be touching BASS. BASS would still be there, untouched. This would be BASS 2. And it could be lovely.

In Cold Blood was released in 2000 and from that date onward everything with Revolution's name on it has been bad. Five times bitten, six times sad. I'll give the BS2 and BASS Remastered editions the benefit of the doubt, but not BS1 Director's Cut, which was atrocious. Anyway, I don't think it's 3D which has been holding Revolution back for so long.

I played the demo, can't say much about the full game. It wasn't well received.

I seem to remember BS4 being slightly better than BS3, though of course still pretty bad.

In Cold Blood was released in 2000 and from that date onward everything with Revolution's name on it has been bad. Five times bitten, six times sad. I'll give the BS2 and BASS Remastered editions the benefit of the doubt, but not BS1 Director's Cut, which was atrocious. Anyway, I don't think it's 3D which has been holding Revolution back for so long.

To be fair, ICB had some awesome ideas, and a great story, too. It was only the "action gameplay" which let it down.

Hasn't Cecil been throwing ideas around for a BASS sequel for ages? Wikipedia unfortuntely.

I was crushed when I played Broken Sword 3 for the first time, I picked it up on launch day for the xbox and was shocking when it turned out to be little more than a crate pushing simulator.

I just hope this adventure game 'revival' means Telltale can deviate from the same formula and risk something different (or the same if you're being rather cynical in retrospect of classic adventures). I started playing Back to the Future the other day and it just felt like the same game but reskinned (with the same character models). I love their earlier output but I just can't get behind recent releases.

Well, here's my prediction for this adventure game "revival": DFA will be cute, fun, enjoyable... but it won't reignite the genre because it has inherent flaws that most modern gamers won't be able to endure: The gameplay (i.e. "fun") stops dead when you hit a puzzle you can't solve. And as soon as you use a walkthrough, a lot of the enjoyment of playing is removed.

I personally remember thinking that Knights of the Old Republic did a great job of capturing the fun of adventure games (story, characters, some puzzles, etc.) while placing it in a gaming environment where you always had things to do. At least, that's how I recall it -- it's been years since I played it.

I really do believe that "pure adventure games" will only remain a niche.

Well, here's my prediction for this adventure game "revival": DFA will be cute, fun, enjoyable... but it won't reignite the genre because it has inherent flaws that most modern gamers won't be able to endure: The gameplay (i.e. "fun") stops dead when you hit a puzzle you can't solve. And as soon as you use a walkthrough, a lot of the enjoyment of playing is removed.

[...]

I really do believe that "pure adventure games" will only remain a niche.

Just so I'm clear on your stance, do you think that Telltale's games aren't "pure adventure games", or that they just haven't managed to reignite the genre?

Just so I'm clear on your stance, do you think that Telltale's games aren't "pure adventure games", or that they just haven't managed to reignite the genre?

I feel that they haven't managed to reignite the genre. (Remember: There was a time when Adventure Games would sit atop the gaming charts.) TT has managed to sell a few, but they've not reignited the genre by a long shot, and a lot of people I've spoken to seem very down on the adventure games they have produced.

Even TT seems to be moving away from pure Adventure Games now -- whereas once that was all they produced, they now are moving into other areas.