Sign in to follow this  
Wrestlevania

EDF: Insect Armageddon

What are we talking about playing it on? I have it on Steam and would be happy to give it a go with someone. It just doesn't feel right single player.

Finally got around to buying Insect Armageddon on Steam yesterday and playing for a few hours last night with Denial and StaticKitten.

I'd forgotten how EDF ramps up as an experience. The initial hour or so feels light, arbitrary--like Space Invaders done in 3D (who remembers Rage Software's Incoming then?). But as we progressed towards the end of the first chapter - five stages in total - we began unlocking some much more interesting weaponry, and fighting a greater variety of more challenging enemies.

By the colossal boss battle at the end of chapter 1, we'd all been won over by EDF's mix of chaos and customisation I think. It's not going to be for everyone, but if you like shooting stuff with a couple of friends, and can give it an hour or so to warm up and show you what it could do, I think you'll have a lot of fun with Insect Armageddon.

To that end, I've setup regular Sunday games of Insect Armageddon on the Idle Thumbs' Steam calendar throughout March (you'll need to click forward in the calendar widget to see them). Would be great to get more Thumbs involved.

Hey, i remember Incoming! That was a pretty fun game. :mock:

I think the third act of the new EDF game is the only part of that game that feels anything remotely like the Sandlot games it's based on. It just never goes quite as big and ridiculous, but it's still definitely a very cool and fun game.

I have the game on the 360, if anybody reading wants to co-op there.

I actually have this Sunday off. It'll probably be the only one I have free for a while, but I'm totally down for this week!

Steam tells me there's a thing going on at 1:30 today. If this is true, I'm totally in. Who else is going to be there?

Steam tells me there's a thing going on at 1:30 today. If this is true, I'm totally in. Who else is going to be there?

At least me, probably Denial, and almost certainly StaticKitten.

We shall run a couple of games in parallel! Dual-swarming! :gaming:

Can I just buy it and have fun time, or am I going to have to play the single player first?

I hope you don't need the SP. I played about 15 minutes of it and figured I'd wait for co-op. On a logistics note, are people playing with mouse+keyboard or gamepad? I'm wondering what the way to go with this one is.

Can I just buy it and have fun time, or am I going to have to play the single player first?

Whole campaign is co-op from the very beginning. :tup:

The only difference will be that those who've played for a little longer will have unlocked a couple of extra guns. But that's it.

On a logistics note, are people playing with mouse+keyboard or gamepad? I'm wondering what the way to go with this one is.

I've tried both, but my reactions seems to be a little bit quicker with the pad. It's very responsive either control method though, so personal preference really.

Another solid run with StaticKitten and Denial this evening. Hugely enjoying this!

I've just broken into tier 3 with my Battle (Heavy) armour and am having an absolute blast with a booming incendiary shotgun and some very fast-firing missiles.

Just finished a game with Miffy, and boy oh boy was that some hectic insect shooting action. We failed right at the end of a long fight (

the one with a bunch of insects

) and considered ending it there, but decided on giving it another go, resulting in a spectacular victory and both of us reaching level 3!

Though the game was joined by an artificial intelligence computer algorithm, we could probably do with a third human player next time.

Just spent a good 2.5 hours playing 2 player with 'blix because wrestle's game was full. We went from mission 1-1 through to mission 2-3. I got to level 3 for the Jet armour, while 'blix got to the same for the vanilla (trooper?) armour. It was pretty great. Those of you who played Grand Thumb Auto back in the day know the whoops of joy that come from 'blix when a huge explosion goes off, and those are plentiful in EDF. The excitement is infectious. The bit of time I spent playing single player before didn't capture nearly that feeling. Good times indeed. I have one more Sunday off before I have to work most Sundays for a long time, so I will probably spend the same time next week playing EDF as well. Cory, you're welcome to join in if you have it on Steam.

Just spent a good 2.5 hours playing 2 player with 'blix because wrestle's game was full.

PHO-09Oct02-180211.jpg

I meant the two player was because Wrestle's game was full. When it was first proposed I thought the three of us would be teamed up rolling through future-Detroit fucking up everything. Turns out Wrestle started a game with two non-forum scumbags (seriously, if they're so great why don't they post here?) and we had to go with an AI jerk. It was still thoroughly enjoyed, 'blix, don't worry. I treasure our virtual bro-dates.

...where the hell do you find these images?

There's this factory in Norway, see...

idletantrums.jpg

I'M SORRY THERE ISN'T ENOUGH GAME TO GO AROUND.

But if next week's likely your last week, then I'll make sure you're on mah team.

Better now? Can we all get up off the floor and go for insect-flavoured ice cream now? :P

Just played through the "bad" ending with 'blix and Wrestle. Good game. Very fun with two others. Unfortunately the whole "new job" thing means I won't be available Sundays after this week, and thus may never see the other two endings. Still, glad I did it. Well worth the $15 that it cost me. Everyone, give it a try. Just make sure you have someone to play with. The offline mode is kind of balls.