Salka

Fund Tim Schafer's next game YOURSELF!

Also, DOTT was released in the days of floppy disk -- so only the intro sequence and outro sequence came with speech. That's how I played it the first time. It didn't detract from the experience.

Actually it had selected sequences in the floppy version as voiced also. For example I shall always remember Bernard's "Ahaaa! A secret passage!" from the floppy version at a friend's house ages ago. :)

- I'm surprised nobody mentioned this: Grim Fandango! It keeps a transcript of all the dialogue in the pause menu. Genius idea that no adventure game ever bothered copying, much to my annoyance.

Do I remember wrongly, but I have a feeling that didn't The Longest Journey also have a dialogue log of all the dialogue in the menu.

Just to be clear, you're talking about subtitles INSTEAD OF voice, not WITH voice?

No, I'm talking about with voice. I can understand it being necessary for some people watching films or tv, where modern sound mixing can easily obscure dialogue clarity (although I'm with Thrik on this - I'd rather miss a few lines than fuck up the delivery of every single one - so I won't be watching a DVD with synth any time soon), but dialogue+text in Lucasarts adventures where the delivery is crisp and you have various adjustable volume levels? CRAZY MAD PERSONS.

One huge improvement for me in Sam And Max Season 2 was being able to turn subtitles off before the game started, rather than after the intro cutscene.

Actually it had selected sequences in the floppy version as voiced also. For example I shall always remember Bernard's "Ahaaa! A secret passage!" from the floppy version at a friend's house ages ago. :)

That was actually still part of the opening -- the first "puzzle" to be exact :)

To be exact: the intro was voiced, then you get the first puzzle where you're Bernard in the foyer unvoiced, then you get a second long cutscene voiced, then nothing else is voiced until the outro (where did the voices start back up? Was it from

Purple accidentally zapping himself

?).

To be exact: the intro was voiced, then you get the first puzzle where you're Bernard in the foyer unvoiced...

To be exactly exact, the first puzzle is unvoiced until Bernard solves it. That's when he says, "Ahh, a secret passage... This is all too easy!"

Although I think we're all saying the same thing now.

Also: Shouldn't you be in work? :)

Yes, we are! Okay, okay, addendum: the second, voiced, cutscene starts with the solution of the first, unvoiced puzzle.

I'm taking the morning off because my foot is fucked due to old deep-tissue and ankle injuries plus current plantar fasciitis, and I've got a post-op check-up this afternoon, at which I'm hoping my amazing weight loss will be noted and commended. I want a pat on the head.

EDIT: shouldn't YOU be getting work done?

Yes, we are! Okay, okay, addendum: the second, voiced, cutscene starts with the solution of the first, unvoiced puzzle.

I'm taking the morning off because my foot is fucked due to old deep-tissue and ankle injuries plus current plantar fasciitis, and I've got a post-op check-up this afternoon, at which I'm hoping my amazing weight loss will be noted and commended. I want a pat on the head.

EDIT: shouldn't YOU be getting work done?

Good luck! (I'm currently unable to face debugging this PHP I've written... I'll get there eventually!)

Re: ScummVM

WzP0F_QkmD4

Edited by BigJKO

WzP0F_QkmD4

The youtube tag is kind of confusing, but you just need the url bit after the = and you don't need the stuff after the &. Quote my post to see what I mean. :)

WzP0F_QkmD4

Where was that linked to ? Isn't on double fine news or kickstarter.

He did a so called "Ask me everything" on some website called Reddit. Let's see if I can find it. Yes, I can. A few questions were video responses.

The youtube tag is kind of confusing, but you just need the url bit after the = and you don't need the stuff after the &. Quote my post to see what I mean. :)

Ahhhh, I see. Double Fixed now!

Pledged!

I stuck to $15. It was damn hard resisting that .pdf but I know in my heart it probably won't be worth my $45. If they eventually put it out for £3 or something, like Final Hours Of Portal 2, I'll snap it up.

I'm pretty pissed off, and withdrew my pledge after seeing those pictures. Even though he didn't say he'd use the extra money for the game, I think most people expected him to. What a swindle!

I know! Did you see the choice of salad dressing for that money? Such poor taste! You'd think that with all that money he could afford a better salad dressing! :tdown:

The exasperated face he's making stuffing the money into the sofa is just perfect.

Oh man, that one shot with the Manny cutout just gave me a great idea:

Grim Fandango remake using stop motion animation of papercraft assets made out of money. They could rename the main character...

wait for it...

....Money Calavera. :getmecoat

Someone's actually doing that... well, except for the bit where they're using money: http://grimstopmo.blogspot.com/

I'm pretty pissed off, and withdrew my pledge after seeing those pictures. Even though he didn't say he'd use the extra money for the game, I think most people expected him to. What a swindle!

There actually seem to be people in the comments thread taking that position.

There actually seem to be people in the comments thread taking that position.

I'm glad somebody posted this, though:

Well, at least we made it four comments before some killjoy spread his filth over the comments. From here on out it's just 9/11 and politics.

This is the truth about the internet: It's all fun and games until some angry, frustrated whiner complains. Christ. I think I preferred media when everybody didn't have a voice.

Actually thinking about this more: I do hate it when I've enjoyed something harmless and completely innocent, like Tim Shafer pretending to use fake money as toilet paper, and I get drawn into the comments, hoping to see my thoughts on the matter reflected back, only to find a douche venting his spleen.

99.999% of people seeing that page probably enjoyed it, but people are more compelled to say something when they see something "wrong". So that 00.001% tends to get represented.

And that one comment colours the whole experience. As Stephen Fry once put it (in reference to the very same thing, actually), it only takes one turd to spoil the bath.

I'm sick of finding turds in my bath.

This is why I find it highly annoying when some sites (YOUTUBE *cough* YOUTUBE) don't allow for hiding comments and show them right under the video, so you always catch at least one or two horrible people saying ghastly or moronic things.