Salka

Fund Tim Schafer's next game YOURSELF!

Could be he's just talking about regular old debit cards, though. The reason I specifically said VISA is because they're uniquely designed to work as VISA credit cards — the debit cards from the same bank before this came into effect several years ago didn't work unless the site specifically supported it. You get the same kind of protections with a VISA debit card as you do with a VISA credit card too, which is always nice to know. :tup:

I've always had an account with Amazon.com (since like 1999), long before I had a Visa debit, and I've never had a problem with any of my debit cards.

Anyways...

It's interesting to see people learn about how much video games cost to make. $300,000 (the original budget for "Adventure" -- not including the $100K for the documentary) was for "three people for six months", according to Schafer.

That sounds insane until you break it down:

Three people earning $33,000 per annum, each, for six months. In other words, they're earning ~$33K a year, but are only getting six month's work. It's not like they're paying themselves a ridiculous sum... and that's all the money gone!

Makes you wonder.

According to Schafes:

DOTT (1993) Cost "$300 to $600K" ($300 for base game. $300 for voices. Although he's not 100% sure.)

Full Throttle (1995) Cost $1,500,000

Grim Fandango (1998) Cost $3,000,000

Costume Quest, Stacked, and Iron Brigade cost about $2 million each to make.

YESYESYES! I was really hoping for a 2D game, but really expecting 3D, since I have the impression a 3D game would be much cheaper. If I was a furnace, I would be positively stoked.

Yesss, I finally managed to pledge! It was a wild ride with signing up for various Kickstarter, Amazon and 3V credit card accounts, but my money is in. I look forward to seeing the few pixels my money financed, so I can point at it and say 'Hark! There are my pixels!'

THIS IS FINANCIAL SUICIDE! HOW WILL THEY BREAK EVEN?!

:shifty: :shifty: :shifty: :shifty: I think you're kidding, but I can't be sure. Are you kidding? :shifty: :shifty: :shifty:

I look forward to seeing the few pixels my money financed, so I can point at it and say 'Hark! There are my pixels!'

I wish I'd have thought of that -- I only funded the sound effects :(

You all focus on superfluous things. I funded the story and the setting.

It's interesting to see people learn about how much video games cost to make. $300,000 (the original budget for "Adventure" -- not including the $100K for the documentary) was for "three people for six months", according to Schafer.

That sounds insane until you break it down:

Three people earning $33,000 per annum, each, for six months. In other words, they're earning ~$33K a year, but are only getting six month's work. It's not like they're paying themselves a ridiculous sum... and that's all the money gone!

33K * 3 people = 100K annually, divided by 2 (for six months) = total budget of 50K. Am I not following you? Shouldn't it be:

300K budget / 3 people = 100K each for six months, which would be 200K annually? Of course there's music, voices, and whatever else they need to pay for that should be added in.

I funded the lack of QTEs and a distinctive color grading (you know what I'm talkin' about)

I funded the lack of QTEs and a distinctive color grading (you know what I'm talkin' about)

I counter-funded for orange and teal.

33K * 3 people = 100K annually, divided by 2 (for six months) = total budget of 50K. Am I not following you? Shouldn't it be:

300K budget / 3 people = 100K each for six months, which would be 200K annually? Of course there's music, voices, and whatever else they need to pay for that should be added in.

Not sure where we've got our wires crossed. The annual thing was only to illustrate the salary they were paying themselves in terms we could relate to.

But you're right, I made a rather silly mistake in my calculations :)

Yeah, I understood about the annual thing, I was just commenting on the math. $200K/year is a pretty good salary to me. :)

Yes, you're totally right. Wow. (Yeah, I really made a dumb mistake with my equations - duh.)

Anyways, I guess it's not just three people's salary, it's three people at a game studio. There are overheads there. If they were making a game for a publisher, they wouldn't just go, "here's three people's salaries", they'd say, "this is how much it's going to cost you to make the game here". So I'm guessing that the money does include a profit (or mark up) of sorts. That's certainly how Graphic Design Agencies I've worked at do it, and I'm sure it's the same for other businesses.

Edited by ThunderPeel2001