Brannigan

DOTA 2

Sure it does, suicide is still the big damage dealer there. It'll be ever so slightly harder to get the kill, but not significantly.

I mean, you buy a ring of protection, and you'll probably live through it. That wasn't necessarily true in 6.84. Combine that with the nerfs to Tusk and I don't think we'll be seeing that combo in pro games.

Yeah nothing has changed the suicide skill at all. Everything that changed is the impact of mines specifically / alone.

I'm actually interested to see how the Chaos Knight will rotate into matches now. His crit-based Desolator effect will have a huge impact on him alone since he gets all those nifty mirrors, but it actually adds up toward a team's effort. Plus, it skips the need to get armor reduction. Sure it isn't reliable, but it isn't hard to build up attack speed or more crit as a strategy. What I want to know is if his armor reduction effect will stack with other ones; I'm pretty sure they don't in this game, right?

Is Manta worth picking up on CK at this point? The mana cost got reduced, but I don't know, CK's int gain is still so awful it still might not be good, but I don't really play the hero so maybe someone with more knowledge about him will have a better idea.

I mean, you buy a ring of protection, and you'll probably live through it. That wasn't necessarily true in 6.84. Combine that with the nerfs to Tusk and I don't think we'll be seeing that combo in pro games.

Is every support gonna buy a ring of protection, then?

I mean I get what you're saying, but I don't think it's a showstopper or anything.

That said, the tusk/techies combo hasn't really been out in force for a while, anyway. Mostly 'cause of banned techies, to be sure, but, yeah.

Hi everyone.

I recently spent a bit of time thinking and writing about what I find so uniquely engaging about Dota. I'd very much appreciate any feedback you folks care to offer, be it regarding your own thoughts on the topic, criticism of my writing, or opinions on formatting. I've quoted my opening paragraph below:

Over the last few years it’s been pretty well impossible to miss the explosive popularity of the Lords Management (Multiplayer Online Battle Arena) genera, and Dota 2 in particular. Recently, Dota has boasted record-setting competitive events, more press and community coverage than ever before, and many tweaks and enhancements to the Lords Management formula itself. With monthly player counts in the millions, (a little over 11 million at the time of this writing) gamers the world over are being drawn to Dota in incredible numbers... but what is it that makes this game in particular so engaging?

Take a look at the link and let me know what you think! :)

EDIT: Hahaha the "Lords Management" replacement is a nice touch, administrator.

Can't believe this thread was buried on page 5!

We were all spamming the slack irc channel with hype for 6.86, the page is worth checking out even if you aren't playing dota, it's that good. It has a comic! Zeus gets to ride a cloud like mario!

http://www.dota2.com/balanceofpower

http://cdn.dota2.com/apps/dota2/videos/686/zeusvideo.webm

I like the map changes, and how optimal starting builds are no longer obvious (for now), but I have a feeling of dread that this patch is gonna turn into the next 6.83.

Which one was 6.83?

Anyway the aether lens item is so much fun, and pretty easily attainable on the supports I typically play. Grabbed one on rubick after we push a few towers and oh man it opens up a lot of room for clutch plays. It seems like the off lane is going to be totally different now that you can maybe pull the creeps? I've not tried it yet. It's super weird having to figure out new ward spots around the runes.

6.83 was a winter patch where sniper got the Shrapnel charges, few other minor changes.  i dont remember anything particularly out of control with that patch, but my group tends to play same style regardless of patch (and usually if it works/wins)

How does one learn to play Dota 2? I ask because the in-game tutorials are garbage. They do a decent job of teaching you the basic verbs of gameplay, as in "push B to jump", but they don't even try to teach you how to play well, and Dota is a game with an especially wide chasm between "technically playing in that I am pushing buttons to execute game actions" and "playing well". I tried some bot matches, I did badly, and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong or how to improve.

Surely someone on the internet has put together a decent guide on the subject, could someone refer me to such a guide?

Purge's guide is pretty good, he has more stuff on his youtube as well

https://purgegamers.true.io/g/dota-2-guide/

https://www.youtube.com/user/PurgeGamers

That was very helpful, god the in-game tutorials were awful comapred to that. Just the advice "only go for last-hits, don't push lanes in the early game" was huge. I've settled into using Clinkz, who seems like a good noob hero, am I right in that assessment?

My current source of frustration is that I keep dying to abilities I didn't know the enemy had. It's like losing in a TCG because I'm not allowed to read what the other person's cards do. Surely there's some in-game UI that lets me look up the abilities of each enemy, but damned if I can find it, someone point me in the right direction?

I don't know who the tutorials are aimed for but I imagine most people who don't know anything about the game would see these two lines as 100% conflicting

- Kills creeps to kill towers to get to the enemy ancient

- Don't push the lane, only attack to last hit

You can left click on an emey to select them and hover over their abilities to read tooltips of skills and items. If the skills did damage you can hover over them in the death overview.

I'd say Clinkz isn't a great beginner hero, he doesn't really do great unless you're farming fast enough or getting tons of kills. You might be invincible in your games due to noone buying detection items though. If you're behind Clinkz'll feel like a shit hero. Stuns are great and always relevant. 

You can look at a character and item library in the main client too if you just want to sit down and figure out who has what for a while.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I've had some great games before on heroes like lich, axe, and weaver but I've basically forgotten how to play them now.

These days I tend to just play solo vs hard bots and see how long I last in the farming phases before the AI beats me.

I also really want to learn how to play offline well since I like the challenge but I've basically forgotten how to pick for myself.

I might get back into supporting when I next come back to the game first though. Am I right in thinking that some supports like WD or Omni are kinda timeless and tend to work well every time? (Except for Omni on a mostly ranged team?)

You can left click on an emey to select them and hover over their abilities to read tooltips of skills and items. If the skills did damage you can hover over them in the death overview.

Once the enemy comes on screen and starts fighting me, that's way too late to read over all their skills. The death overview is the very definition of "too late". What I want is to join a game, see the enemies I'm playing against, and get to read their abilities in the opening minute of the match. Sitting down and committing all the heroes to memory is not an option, memorizing over a hundred heroes times four plus abilities is insane.

If you play enough you will naturally memorize over time.

You can check their skills prior to the game, but you can't do it during the game unless they're on the map and you click on them. Alternatively just have a browser open on your second monitor. There is no other option, so complaining about it here doesn't help much!

Also yes Clinkz is not a good first hero. Way too farm dependent.

I don't think anyone's telling you to memorise all the heroes first go. Plenty of heroes end up being picked up way more than others so you could go to a site like Dotabuff and check out the ones that are trending right now.

Otherwise I'm sure there are videos that break down commonly seen heroes for noobs.

You could also spectate some matches in the client and have a look at the teams compositions, items, and hero abilities.

I don't think anyone's telling you to memorise all the heroes first go. Plenty of heroes end up being picked up way more than others so you could go to a site like Dotabuff and check out the ones that are trending right now.

So just memorize a bunch of the heroes (or keep dying due to ignorance). Sounds like Dota is not the game for me.

Memorizing the hundred+ heroes is only the start. When you get used to the map you might know juke paths and which specific trees to eat to get away safely while the enemy keeps searching for you behind a tower.

Also I'd say that seeing the skills after you see someone/they kill you is fine, you're going to be making uninformed decisions for 100+ hours easily. 

So just memorize a bunch of the heroes (or keep dying due to ignorance). Sounds like Dota is not the game for me.

Well, I think that you would genuinely get a feel for it over time, especially if you're playing different characters. Speaking as someone who has not played that much DOTA at all but has had some fun with it, it seems to me if you stick with the Lords Management beginners golden rule of running the hell away as soon as you're worried you might die and just trying not to feed, you'll start to get a better feel for it. Also, if people give you crap just ignore it.

Memorizing the hundred+ heroes is only the start. When you get used to the map you might know juke paths and which specific trees to eat to get away safely while the enemy keeps searching for you behind a tower.

Also I'd say that seeing the skills after you see someone/they kill you is fine, you're going to be making uninformed decisions for 100+ hours easily. 

You're going to be making uninformed decisions for 1000+ hours. Probably way more than that, too.

Well, I think that you would genuinely get a feel for it over time, especially if you're playing different characters.

That sounds like it will be great, dozens of hours from now when I've learned everything. I don't want to spend the next dozen hours, hell I don't want to spend the next two matches, dying because the opponent had some weird power that punished me for not knowing it. I hate that, so I'm not going to play Dota.

After getting a beta invite ages ago and my pc not being able to run it, I'm finally able to play this. I couldn't stand DOTA back on Warcraft 3, but after dabbling in some mobile and console LoMas, I think they work for me now. Did some tutorials and did a few bot matches to get used to the game and I am digging it. 

That sounds like it will be great, dozens of hours from now when I've learned everything. I don't want to spend the next dozen hours, hell I don't want to spend the next two matches, dying because the opponent had some weird power that punished me for not knowing it. I hate that, so I'm not going to play Dota.

Yeah, that's 100% dota. But aren't all multiplayer games going to surprise you with stuff the enemy's doing that you yourself don't know about, even if you don't have to pay some microtransactions?

Yeah, that's 100% dota. But aren't all multiplayer games going to surprise you with stuff the enemy's doing that you yourself don't know about, even if you don't have to pay some microtransactions?

Dota is a lot worse about you dying because of it. My point of comparison was TCGs, where I've gone through the exact same "eventually you'll learn all the cards" journey. There there was a lot less room to lose specifically because you didn't know a card existed (you'll often lose because the opponent had a card, but knowing it existed wouldn't have helped).

I dunno, in Hearthstone/Netrunner I'll maybe look up cards in advance but I won't _learn_ all of them till I've encountered them all in enough games. Lots of times you play in a more competitive atmosphere with a self made deck that uses less used cards and your opponent will go "Wait what does this card do?".