Brannigan

DOTA 2

I think the first handful of games are the worst, unfortunately.  It's where you are matched with other new players and older players who are bad enough and toxic enough to have never improved. 

After awhile, you'll still get flamed/criticized some, but usually you can either recognize that the person was right and take it on the chin or realize that they are just angry (usually about their own play).  One thing I've learned is to just immediately mute someone (And tell your team they are muted) if they flame.  Just realizing that I don't have to listen to them was very freeing for me.  It made the idea that I didn't want to play because I might get flamed disappear because I always have the power to not be flamed.  I also find I play better when I just mute them.  Sometimes I'll mute people even if they are flaming a teammate. 

If you try again I recommend liberal uses of the mute button.

Oh also when you find someone cool or who wants to help, ask if they want to play together.  I did a bit of that when I started and aside from playing with a friend, it was the best thing to help me learn.

Someone in the HOTS thread mentioned that they feel like the laning phase in Dota 2 was superfluous. This video of Purge analyzing a 2K game does a pretty good job of explaining why I don't think that's the case (or, at least, why I'm not bored during the laning phase) 

Crap, stupid back button on my mouse ate my post.

I do use the recommended list, but I get nervous about taking something someone else might actually be able to use. Stuff that has charges and needs to be paid attention to seems like a lot to keep track of, but I am cool with Mekanism and stuff like that with a useful active. I also like playing as a healer in these games.

The only thing with charges that's worth worrying about (and probably avoiding for now) is the Black King Bar, since it's expensive and each use causes it to decay. Since you like support, I'm guessing you're thinking about either the Drum or the Magic Wand. For the Drum, just hit them at the start of a team fight, don't worry about it running out of charges as it's still decent even when empty and can be recharged by re-buying the 875 recipe (I just learned that last part myself for the first time.) For the Wand, it's best used as a surprise during or running from a fight. The heal isn't big enough to be useful except as a lifesaver or maybe for the extra mana to just barely give you enough to hit your Ulti.

As for getting duplicate items, I wouldn't worry about it at lower levels. Having an extra wasted aura isn't a big deal when it's hard to even get 5 player corralled in the same place.

And then Wards I guess, but no one really buys them at lower levels.

Someone in the HOTS thread mentioned that they feel like the laning phase in Dota 2 felt superfluous. This video of Purge analyzing a 2K game does a pretty good job of explaining why I don't think that's the case (or, at least, why I'm not bored during the laning phase) 

That was me! I was actually being harsh, as an inexperienced player I actually like the laning phase. I'm not making the most of it I'm sure (I'm looking forward to watching that video) but I at least feel I can be of some help to the team (hold off the other team, not feed). 

The only thing with charges that's worth worrying about (and probably avoiding for now) is the Black King Bar, since it's expensive and each use causes it to decay. Since you like support, I'm guessing you're thinking about either the Drum or the Magic Wand. For the Drum, just hit them at the start of a team fight, don't worry about it running out of charges as it's still decent even when empty and can be recharged by re-buying the 875 recipe (I just learned that last part myself for the first time.) For the Wand, it's best used as a surprise during or running from a fight. The heal isn't big enough to be useful except as a lifesaver or maybe for the extra mana to just barely give you enough to hit your Ulti.

As for getting duplicate items, I wouldn't worry about it at lower levels. Having an extra wasted aura isn't a big deal when it's hard to even get 5 player corralled in the same place.

And then Wards I guess, but no one really buys them at lower levels.

Thank God no one buys wards. That's a step too far for me at the moment. I actually thought if I bought an item then nobody else could. That's how little I know.

Oh also when you find someone cool or who wants to help, ask if they want to play together.  I did a bit of that when I started and aside from playing with a friend, it was the best thing to help me learn.

Thanks, that's a good idea. I am very weird about that. I need to just be nice to people and chat to them. I am weirdly awkwardly nervous about text conversations with strangers.

The only items that it really matters if you duplicate are:

• Mekansm (and the Guardian Greaves they can be upgraded into)
  • Crimson Guard
  • Pipe of Insight
  • Veil of Discord
  • Vladmir's Offering
  • Assault Cuirass
  • Desolator

For any of those, just ALT+ left click on the icon in the store for the item you want to buy. That will let your team know what you're building so they can avoid duplicating it.

I would add urn of shadows to that list, even if it is sometimes ok to have two of them.

A quick note on urn charges w/r/t the previous conversation about things with charges.  It always makes sense to use urn charges when you have them.  You get one per enemy death within your radius except when you are empty, then you get 2.  So, it is really forgiving of being used because after a fight you'll gain some back, more if you're using them.

I actually disagree about avoiding BKB at lower levels.  I think you should have it and just use once a team fight starts.  Don't worry about saving charges.  Use it every time.  the enemy won't know what to do and it is still a great item even when it is down to 5 seconds.

For wand/magic stick, I made a specific "Oh shit" button.  So I have an inventory spot that I keep my "Oh shit I'm about to die item."  So, early game I'll have my wand/stick there and just hammer it when I dying.  Then I'll replace it with a BKB or Uel's or Ghost Scepter, or whatever defensive active item I've bought (if I have one).  Eventually you'll stop panic hammering the "Oh shit" button and start using it at the right time.

Speaking of an "Oh shit" button, what kind of keybinds do you all use? I have spells on Q W E R (D F), items on Z X C V and the two thumb buttons on my mouse (the bigger one usually gets an important activatable like Blink or Euls or whatever), Space will select my hero, so a double tap will return the camera to them. F2 selects courier and F3 is always "deliver items."

Also I mostly use edge panning, which is apparently not optimal(?) but I just hate having to use middle mouse to drag the screen around. 

i run HoN keys

qwer spells

alt+ qwe / asd for items.  i keep the same items in the same spot too for muscle memory. (wand top middle, active boots bottom left, blink top left, etc)

RE: the coaching purge video - i've played for a long time and that video reminded me why im at work still not prepping for the majors.  little movements; attack walking, pulls, positioning, make all the difference from good to great skill level.  

i need to stop doing community service with my family/team mates - we have mid/upper 3k people and one boat anchor that keeps our opponents awful - i feel like i havent improved in a long time

A quick note on urn charges w/r/t the previous conversation about things with charges.  It always makes sense to use urn charges when you have them.  You get one per enemy death within your radius except when you are empty, then you get 2.  So, it is really forgiving of being used because after a fight you'll gain some back, more if you're using them.

I actually disagree about avoiding BKB at lower levels.  I think you should have it and just use once a team fight starts.  Don't worry about saving charges.  Use it every time.  the enemy won't know what to do and it is still a great item even when it is down to 5 seconds.

For wand/magic stick, I made a specific "Oh shit" button.  So I have an inventory spot that I keep my "Oh shit I'm about to die item."  So, early game I'll have my wand/stick there and just hammer it when I dying.  Then I'll replace it with a BKB or Uel's or Ghost Scepter, or whatever defensive active item I've bought (if I have one).  Eventually you'll stop panic hammering the "Oh shit" button and start using it at the right time.

I agree about BKBs being incredibly useful in lower skilled matches, and that using the item sub-optimally isn't that big of a deal, but it can be such a life saving item in those kinds of matches because everyone's positioning is kind of bad, and when big team fights happen everyone just spams their spells. The only time it isn't worth picking up is if you're against some right click fest lineup like Riki, Sniper, and Ursa (I feel like when I first started playing the game I was always playing against those heroes).

Speaking of an "Oh shit" button, what kind of keybinds do you all use? I have spells on Q W E R (D F), items on Z X C V and the two thumb buttons on my mouse (the bigger one usually gets an important activatable like Blink or Euls or whatever), Space will select my hero, so a double tap will return the camera to them. F2 selects courier and F3 is always "deliver items."

Also I mostly use edge panning, which is apparently not optimal(?) but I just hate having to use middle mouse to drag the screen around. 

I think edge panning vs middle mouse is definitely more of a preference thing. I understand how the middle mouse is slightly more efficient, but I think pros use both and it is one of those cases where I think there is more value in what is comfortable over what is technically the best option. 

Since I never played DOTA 1 I also use the QWER layout. I also have two thumb items on my mouse, and then I use X, C, V and space bar for the other items, with the most important items typically being on my C key and the space bar (bottle on C and blink dagger on space is pretty common, for instance). I also have the push-to-talk button set to my final mouse thumb button.

I also have right click to deny creeps and the range finder on in the config settings. I noticed that these options are in the settings menu for the reborn client, so that's nice, although the right click to deny works slightly differently where it seems like I still need to A click creeps to de-aggro the tower which is unfortunate, but not a big deal.

Whether I use quick cast or not depends. I would love a toggle button for that.

You can have two keybinds for the same item/spell. One quick, and one for noobs. 

BKB's actually pretty good vs riki!

Yeah.  It removes silence and miss chance of his smokescreen and prevents him using blink strike.  Unless he is WAY ahead, it makes it effectively impossible for him to go on most bkb heroes during its duration.

Patch 6.85 has arrived. Notes here: http://www.dota2.com/685

I'm still reading through things (alphabetical order for Lords) but some notable things are that the bonus damage from Purge effects to summoned units is gone now, Chaos Knight has a crit-based Desolator-like effect, and Lesh has been nerfed to all hell.

Edit - Oh my god click the mine.

Also, Techies got some twisted changes applied to them. On one hand, they do half the damage they used to, no damage if they get destroyed by attacks (including the tree-clearing items now), and give 10 gold per mine. On the other hand, there's no longer a cap on mines. And while they can't be stacked infinitely on one spot, now that they have collision with each other, they can still be very, very close.

I think one important chance with Techies is that the Tusk Techies combo doesn't really work anymore.

I like the buffs to Enchantress, Ogre, and PA.

I'm glad Bloodstone got nerfed, but I don't like how it was nerfed.

I suspect I'll be buying a lot of phase boots + drums when playing carry this patch.

I think one important chance with Techies is that the Tusk Techies combo doesn't really work anymore.

Sure it does, suicide is still the big damage dealer there. It'll be ever so slightly harder to get the kill, but not significantly.

Yeah nothing has changed the suicide skill at all. Everything that changed is the impact of mines specifically / alone.

I'm actually interested to see how the Chaos Knight will rotate into matches now. His crit-based Desolator effect will have a huge impact on him alone since he gets all those nifty mirrors, but it actually adds up toward a team's effort. Plus, it skips the need to get armor reduction. Sure it isn't reliable, but it isn't hard to build up attack speed or more crit as a strategy. What I want to know is if his armor reduction effect will stack with other ones; I'm pretty sure they don't in this game, right?

Stacking debuffs is handled on a skill by skill in this game, but most of the time they don't.

New ancient dragon armor buff, for example, stacks. (Which both nerfs stacking ancients and buffs Chen agh's!)

I think 6.84 was still playing quite nicely. That said, good balance patch. I love how they nerfed and buff various stuff, I like the nerf to euls range, the glimmer cape nerf also. 

Everything is cheaper in the shops now!