Brannigan

DOTA 2

That looks like a nipple shield.

If only THAT was the thing Janet Jackson had covering her chest during that Super Bowl half-time show that made the country go NUTS about content censorship.

Is that the hidden meaning of the Ninjas in Pajamas logo?????? :o

Had a game yesterday where I dominated mid lane as Lina, and kept wrecking fools for the next 30 minutes, and yet I still didn't play well enough to win the game, and it was kinda tough thinking about how I still need to do way better if I'm ever gonna get out of potato bracket.

What potato bracket are u playing in, may I ask? Performing well on your own part is great; have you considered leveraging your understanding of the game to leading and/or coordinating your team more effectively? Although it is not necessarily your responsibility, it is an additional way for you to have an impact on top of what you're already doing as an individual hero.

Rise to victory together; don't become a crab in a barrel!

I only play unranked games so I can't really say what my MMR is. However here are some facts about my games:

-I played a game a month ago where a teammate was auto-attacking creeps

-Teams having a support is not a guaranteed thing

-Trilanes rarely happen

-I have never seen the enemy team deward one of my wards, and when I watch replays I have never seen the enemy team use any wards besides maybe initial river wards.

Despite all that, it does seem like for the most part people I play with have a general understanding of the game. Barring that player who was auto-attacking creeps I haven't encountered anyone that seemed completely new. People play their heroes more or less correctly, albeit very inefficiently. So if I had to guess it would be in the 2k MMR range.

I do communicate with my team generally, although I'm not super assertive, I don't think I have enough experience playing the game to really take that role, though I suppose I have to consider my chances of having the most experience are maybe 1/5.

I'd identify the following as my weaknesses:

-I'm bad at team fights. When a big fight happens I don't spend enough time trying to anticipate who I should focus on. I also am sometimes bad at managing my abilities and items correctly.

-I need to farm more efficiently (don't we all?)

-I think my mid-game itemization needs some improvement. I think I generally know what items to build on a hero, but I need to make sure that during a game I am thinking critically about the capacity of my opponents, and what item I need to gain an advantage over them. Like lots of inexperienced players I don't click on enemy heroes enough to learn about what items they have (I am pretty good at doing that in the laning stage since I know I can effectively harass someone that didn't bring enough healing items to lane).

On the plus side, I think I generally maintain a positive attitude, and I've never raged at a teammate.

I'd recommend as a rule of thumb, if you aren't a 5 stack, DO NOT TRILANE. It's not worth it! Any one of the 3 people fuck up and 2 people are wasting their time. Go 2/1/2 for random pubs.

Last I heard (via twitter) he was willing to be a stand in for another team, but did not have the time to commit to being a regular member this year.

Yeah, he was standing in today as part of Brad Shoemaker's Daily Dota team. They just wrapped up their first match, which they streamed on Giant Bomb / twitch.

Poutine King Bar just took Undead Labs 33 to 4, it was an absolute slaughter. And LoL has to play them next  :frown:

I'd recommend as a rule of thumb, if you aren't a 5 stack, DO NOT TRILANE. It's not worth it! Any one of the 3 people fuck up and 2 people are wasting their time. Go 2/1/2 for random pubs.

It went okay when it happened to me, but yeah I know what you mean. Trilanes are basically an increased risk for an increased reward. I like when they are run though because I enjoy playing offlane solo heroes. But yeah, it is tough to get enough people together that know what they are doing (I mean, I think I am decent at a lot of things supports do, but even then I'm not sure how good I would be as a support in a trilane).

I like solo offlane heroes as well but it's a bad deal more often than not in pubs. Either you have a core role in the jungle which means you're #4 in priority. That's ok on most heroes but not on like Void. Or it's a trilane and you hope yours will do way less mistakes than the enemy duo offlane. 

I have a friend who plays 95% of his games as techies. Duo offlane techies is great, even if you don't have something to toss/skewer/kick them into mines.

It could still be Zeus

t38DODK.jpg

Like.

I keep meaning to try the reborn beta, have they sorted out most of the jank yet? Playing against invisible lords doesn't seem like fun. I do really want to try the 3v3v3 though.

Like.

I keep meaning to try the reborn beta, have they sorted out most of the jank yet? Playing against invisible lords doesn't seem like fun. I do really want to try the 3v3v3 though.

I think most things are fixed now, only matchmaking quality suffers because of the lower amount of users. Games feel very very lopsided, just like battle.net games. 

Customs are cool, some crash when they spawn 1000+ units but they mostly work. I went through Warchasers with one other person, it was pretty fun. Felt a ton like the WC3 dungeon crawl map.

Overthrow is probably still the most polished custom map.

Poutine King Bar just took Undead Labs 33 to 4, it was an absolute slaughter. And LoL has to play them next  :frown:

Sorry! We won all our games. I even got first blood on brad himself in that game, before having a very underwhelming game as Axe :|

Sean seems to have subbed for LoL in their game against Spooky. And only that one. He was on the distruptor. I can only assume it was him because there was a dude called "standaman" in that game.

I'm a support primary.  In my experience, trilanes work really well even in my 2.4k  pubs.  They are rare but they really work.  However, they only work if you do a few things.  First, it needs to be a defensive tri-lane (agro tri always fails).  Second, you need to rush to the lane and get an early lane ward down.  Your offlane has to be someone with a really good escape spell or an un-killable tank.  Fourth, you have to pull constantly and you have to ALWAYS pull through.  You can win the experience battle if you do it right because no one know how to play against it.  Don't play a tri-lane for kills.  You play it because it can guarantee your support levels and farm and can deny the enemy team the same.  If you see those things consider picking up a hero like dazzle and trilaning.  Practice pull and pull through timing first. Of course, I am a 2k scrub so YMMV.

I'm a support primary. In my experience, trilanes work really well even in my 2.4k pubs. They are rare but they really work. However, they only work if you do a few things. First, it needs to be a defensive tri-lane (agro tri always fails). Second, you need to rush to the lane and get an early lane ward down. Your offlane has to be someone with a really good escape spell or an un-killable tank. Fourth, you have to pull constantly and you have to ALWAYS pull through. You can win the experience battle if you do it right because no one know how to play against it. Don't play a tri-lane for kills. You play it because it can guarantee your support levels and farm and can deny the enemy team the same. If you see those things consider picking up a hero like dazzle and trilaning. Practice pull and pull through timing first. Of course, I am a 2k scrub so YMMV.

Do you play solo or with a stack?

Do you play solo or with a stack?

Solo.  One more tip, when picking always ask if someone is willing to solo offlane first.

Edit: I used to have a friend I played with about 25% of the time, but he moved to China.

Sorry! We won all our games. I even got first blood on brad himself in that game, before having a very underwhelming game as Axe :|

Sean seems to have subbed for LoL in their game against Spooky. And only that one. He was on the distruptor. I can only assume it was him because there was a dude called "standaman" in that game.

Y'all played incredibly, I'm not even mad, it was so much fun to watch!

I only play unranked games so I can't really say what my MMR is. However here are some facts about my games:

-I played a game a month ago where a teammate was auto-attacking creeps

-Teams having a support is not a guaranteed thing

-Trilanes rarely happen

-I have never seen the enemy team deward one of my wards, and when I watch replays I have never seen the enemy team use any wards besides maybe initial river wards.

Despite all that, it does seem like for the most part people I play with have a general understanding of the game. Barring that player who was auto-attacking creeps I haven't encountered anyone that seemed completely new. People play their heroes more or less correctly, albeit very inefficiently. So if I had to guess it would be in the 2k MMR range.

I do communicate with my team generally, although I'm not super assertive, I don't think I have enough experience playing the game to really take that role, though I suppose I have to consider my chances of having the most experience are maybe 1/5.

I'd identify the following as my weaknesses:

-I'm bad at team fights. When a big fight happens I don't spend enough time trying to anticipate who I should focus on. I also am sometimes bad at managing my abilities and items correctly.

-I need to farm more efficiently (don't we all?)

-I think my mid-game itemization needs some improvement. I think I generally know what items to build on a hero, but I need to make sure that during a game I am thinking critically about the capacity of my opponents, and what item I need to gain an advantage over them. Like lots of inexperienced players I don't click on enemy heroes enough to learn about what items they have (I am pretty good at doing that in the laning stage since I know I can effectively harass someone that didn't bring enough healing items to lane).

On the plus side, I think I generally maintain a positive attitude, and I've never raged at a teammate.

It's good that you maintain a positive attitude, that's really the most important thing when all is said and done. As for calling the shots, sometimes it's useful to dissociate experience from the equation if it's unclear who among your team has the most. Regardless of how your calls play out, you can still gain experience by reflecting on them, e.g. Did things go well? if not, why? in what possible ways could it have gone better, if the call was to be adhered to? If you run out of answers, only then is that a time you might reconsider making the call.

Sometimes a certain call might not even be the optimal or theoretical best play, but if enough of your team commits, that fact might be negated:

Bysv3imIgAACgtG.png

For your case, it means that assertiveness, in a context of mutual experience uncertainty, can be valuable in its own unconventional way.

P.S. Oh by the way, the first bit of results for the Dota survey I'm running is up! check it out at the Dota Today subforums.

I'm looking to get back into dota more and am getting close to my 100th game. I'm doing okay if my win loss is any indication, but I don't feel like I've had any opportunity to play much besides support and off lane. I tend to play the same heroes frequently and was wondering if attempting the all hero challenge would be a good way to really start expanding what I play. Should I wait until I have more people to play with and do it when playing with a stack? Thanks folks!

I have had a number of friends do the all hero challenge, and personally I wouldn't recommend it. There are certain heroes that they had a miserable time with, and would lose like 14 games in a row with. I think the trick was basically eventually they would lose enough games that their MMR was low enough that they'd end up in a game with people good enough to carry them. So I think if you are rigid about it it's gonna make DOTA less fun for you, and it isn't the best way to learn new heroes.

I prefer to just watch matches of really good players, and if I get excited by something they do with a particular hero that I feel like I can replicate in some capacity, then I try that out. You can go to the dotabuff website and find players or matches with heroes you are interested in, find a match id number, and then watch the game in the client (as long as it happened within the last week). I do that a lot to learn about how to play heroes I'm unfamiliar with, or when I feel like I'm ready to learn new things.

Whether you queue solo or with a stack is more of a personal preference I think. When I queue with friends I tend to play mid or support since that's what my friends typically need, so if I want to play a different carry or some other role I usually need to solo queue.

I lost 11 games in a row when I did the A->Z (I finished a week before they added the all hero challenge...)

I've probably mentioned it before because it's sad and I never miss an opportunity to point out how sad my life is, but the hero was

Tidehunter

The all hero challenge can be fun but I absolutely would not recommend you do it with only 100 games! 100 sounds like a lot but when it comes to Dota, even my 3000 isn't really all that much.

If you want to expand your hero pool, I recommend identifying one that looks fun, giving that about ten games to see if you like it, and if you do, continuing to play that hero for a while until you feel like you've got a good grasp. Then go from there. Well, that's how I play this game, anyway.