Brannigan

DOTA 2

Increasing a heroes' primary stat increases auto-attack damage. That's why you build agility items on agility heroes, etc.

Skills/spells/whatever don't scale at all from stats with a few exceptions: Silencer's orb (glaives of wisdom) scales with int, and you steal int from people who die around you, which is nice. Outworld Devourer's orb (arcane orb) does extra damage based on mana remaining in his mana pool. Both of those are pure damage, scaling off of intelligence (although in OD's case it's a sort of indirect scaling). OD also does more damage with his ultimate based on the difference in intelligence between him and the target, so getting a ton of pure intelligence items on him is important.

There might be more I'm forgetting, but as a general rule assume skills DON'T scale. They'll always specifically say if they do scale.

Skywrath's Q scales with int. I want to run a carry skywrath. Pls pub captain it's legit. Trust me. 

For English it's the beyond the summit studio I believe. LD, godz, merlini, etc.

I started Dota 2, against my better judgement. It's quite interesting, really. I'm squeezing a game in here and there while my six month old son is asleep while the occasional voice I hear belongs to someone much, much younger than me.

I've been doing okay. I'm interested in support (seems less intimidating as a new player and I like the idea of the role) and have been going warlock. I've been decent in a couple of games with people dropping out. Had my first "real" game today, in terms of actually having a team up against us that seemed to know what it was doing. I got called out for not being there for teamfights. In my defence, I wasn't aware that was a thing. I was focusing on not feeding. Also, in other games people had settled into 2 each lane plus a mid. This game was weird. It felt like there was constantly three players on each team roaming together and mid was very busy.

Anyway, a little bit of info from an uneducated player. I will never rise above casual interest for skill and real life reasons but I'm surprised by how enjoyable Dota 2 still is. I had ruled it out for a long time because I didn't have time to "learn." It's not THAT intimidating, at least at the moment. I'm still using limited hero sorting options and things like that, mind.

Potato Day won the first game decisively, 12 minutes zero deaths and a gg from Generic. No idea who Generic is. 

I liked Game is Hard vs. Phosphor Pheeders (vod: http://www.twitch.tv/rektreational/b/561598059)  The level of dota-mastery wasn't very high, but at least the teams were evenly matched.

Most games were unadulterated stomps at this point.

Round 2 is almost done, there's 3 matchups left.

Sept. 5 - GIN vs. SWAG - 7pm

Sept. 6 - Five Alive vs. Clinkx Eastwood - 2pm PDT/5pm EDT

The only matchup that isn't scheduled yet (as far as I know) is Ayesee Slater (Breckon's team) vs Venomancer? (Pyrion Flax and Shane's team).

Looking forward to this one, especially since we play the winners of that matchup in round 3. 

I liked Game is Hard vs. Phosphor Pheeders. The level of dota-mastery wasn't high, but at least the teams were evenly matched.

Most games were unadulterated stomps at this point.

Round 2 is almost done, there's 3 matchups left.

Sept. 5 - GIN vs. SWAG - 7pm

Sept. 6 - Five Alive vs. Clinkx Eastwood - 2pm PDT/5pm EDT

The only matchup that isn't scheduled yet (as far as I know) is Ayesee Slater (Breckon's team) vs Venomancer? (Pyrion Flax and Shane's team).

Looking forward to this one, especially since we play the winners of that matchup in round 3. 

Weird! Having watched you play, I can't help but view you are some weird minor internet celebrity. Thanks for gracing us with your presence!

Last night's matchup was great, probably the most entertaining to watch yet due to the relative equal capability of either team. The great thing about this tournament, watching as a beginner to the game, is that you are invested in the people/studios/personalities playing yet you still get to see some whiffed strategies and can actually learn from the failures that you see. That's something I don't really see when watching pro play, where mistakes are minor and nuanced meaning I don't really get anything out of watching them.

Haha it's cool that you watched us play :) Definitely nowhere near internet stardom status (thank god!) But hey, we might be famous for defeating Crispy in The Rektreational, right?!

I'd love to say that the other great matchup was our games against LoL (the giantbomb daily dota crew) but I played those games so I'd be a douche saying so lol...

Anyway, the best games are yet to come!!

That was a fairly even matchup, but Crispy was pulling way more weight than was appropriate. Refleksy was doing some legwork, but it was frankly less entertaining because their team was kind of slouching. That last match where Crispy picked Silencer illustrated that quite well, as he really just couldn't pull off an effective roaming mid like he did in the earlier matches. In some ways I actually liked your matchup with RD more, because their team was a little better distributed if not as coordinated as LoL.

Anyways, Hitman GO in stores now.

Watching LoL's two games from yesterday was so much fun. Basically the definition of clowny-ass Dota. In the second game Crispy drafted Riki, Slark and Bloodseeker on the same team as some kind of insane gank machine.

Watching LoL's two games from yesterday was so much fun. Basically the definition of clowny-ass Dota. In the second game Crispy drafted Riki, Slark and Bloodseeker on the same team as some kind of insane gank machine.

Is it wrong that I felt that was a bit disrespectful? I don't know if I'm being too serious about my dota manners, but that screams "we can pick anything and just destroy you". Same with the omniknight pick.

I mean it's true, they could have randomed 5 heroes, and won the game. But you don't have to be a dick about it :\

I started Dota 2, against my better judgement. It's quite interesting, really. I'm squeezing a game in here and there while my six month old son is asleep while the occasional voice I hear belongs to someone much, much younger than me.

I've been doing okay. I'm interested in support (seems less intimidating as a new player and I like the idea of the role) and have been going warlock. I've been decent in a couple of games with people dropping out. Had my first "real" game today, in terms of actually having a team up against us that seemed to know what it was doing. I got called out for not being there for teamfights. In my defence, I wasn't aware that was a thing. I was focusing on not feeding. Also, in other games people had settled into 2 each lane plus a mid. This game was weird. It felt like there was constantly three players on each team roaming together and mid was very busy.

Anyway, a little bit of info from an uneducated player. I will never rise above casual interest for skill and real life reasons but I'm surprised by how enjoyable Dota 2 still is. I had ruled it out for a long time because I didn't have time to "learn." It's not THAT intimidating, at least at the moment. I'm still using limited hero sorting options and things like that, mind.

Hey, I was where you were not too long ago (not that I'm much further ahead or anything). I think you have the right attitude about the game. As long as you're having fun learning new things it's all good. I feel like I learn something new about the game every day.

The team fight thing is tricky. Your teammates probably expected you to show up for team fights because you're playing support, and supports are going to need the gold from winning team fights, as well as having some items and abilities that will help the team survive and win the fight. That being said, I think instincts for team fights is just something you develop naturally over time, and so if your teammates are trying to engage they really need to communicate that to you. It's not really fair to expect you to be able to read their minds!

Is it wrong that I felt that was a bit disrespectful? I don't know if I'm being too serious about my dota manners, but that screams "we can pick anything and just destroy you". Same with the omniknight pick.

I mean it's true, they could have randomed 5 heroes, and won the game. But you don't have to be a dick about it :\

I can see that. I found it entertaining as a spectator/long time Daily Dota fan, but I understand what you mean. But I have no idea about the play level of Na'Bi going into the match, so if I knew maybe I'd have felt differently.

Then again, LoL tried a more standard draft against you guys, and it didn't work out, so maybe they're at their best doing crazy strats?

I can see that. I found it entertaining as a spectator/long time Daily Dota fan, but I understand what you mean. But I have no idea about the play level of Na'Bi going into the match, so if I knew maybe I'd have felt differently.

Then again, LoL tried a more standard draft against you guys, and it didn't work out, so maybe they're at their best doing crazy strats?

Crispy is definitely flippant and disrespectful at times. I think it's how he deals with playing with a team of folks that are mostly so much less skilled than him. If he were super serious about it I'd imagine he would have rage-quit Brad Shoemaker a long time ago. Also, the crazy strats are the most fun to watch.

Crispy is definitely flippant and disrespectful at times. I think it's how he deals with playing with a team of folks that are mostly so much less skilled than him. If he were super serious about it I'd imagine he would have rage-quit Brad Shoemaker a long time ago. Also, the crazy strats are the most fun to watch.

Meh, if that's true he shouldn't be playing in a casual(right?) tournament.

Hey, I was where you were not too long ago (not that I'm much further ahead or anything). I think you have the right attitude about the game. As long as you're having fun learning new things it's all good. I feel like I learn something new about the game every day.

The team fight thing is tricky. Your teammates probably expected you to show up for team fights because you're playing support, and supports are going to need the gold from winning team fights, as well as having some items and abilities that will help the team survive and win the fight. That being said, I think instincts for team fights is just something you develop naturally over time, and so if your teammates are trying to engage they really need to communicate that to you. It's not really fair to expect you to be able to read their minds!

Also: Always carry a teleportation scroll, always. Even on natures prophet. 

Haha it's cool that you watched us play :) Definitely nowhere near internet stardom status (thank god!) But hey, we might be famous for defeating Crispy in The Rektreational, right?!

I'd love to say that the other great matchup was our games against LoL (the giantbomb daily dota crew) but I played those games so I'd be a douche saying so lol...

Anyway, the best games are yet to come!!

I ran into Francis at Unite last week and talked about watching you guys in the Rektreational.  It feels like such a small world.

Haha that's pretty nice!

He told me he met some people who were into the Rektreational, and he mentioned he spent some time with the indie megabooth guy, Christopher Floyd, from team Generic. It is a small world indeed :)

I like how this tourney lets us meet people from all around and play dotes with them. :D

A pro doto team named Shadows of the Past tried the Omniknight strat against EG, using a similar lineup to what LoL pulled against Na'Bi and got stomped, partly because they actually played worse than the Giant Bomb guys did in that match, but mainly because they were facing EG who pretty much melted their faces off. RTZ pulled off a tower dive where he soloed three kills, and got away with a sliver of life left. So what still amazes me about this game is the vast range of skill it can be played at.

Cheers! Yeah, I need to get used to the fact that random people asserting some form of authority is kind of meaningless in DOTA really. I'm having fun for the most part. The stakes are very low for me because I don't have a lot of time to play. It means I'm okay with not being great. I just don't want to be SO not great that I'm ruining the game for others. Focusing on not feeding.

Also: Always carry a teleportation scroll, always. Even on natures prophet. 

Cheers. Yeah, I had done a bit of reading before I started playing with humans, so I tend to have a couple on me. I'm pretty bad but not as awful as I assumed I would be.