Brannigan

DOTA 2

The stream was a bit choppy, so I just jumped into the game client and it worked perfectly.

I wonder if they could register an amateur tournament to make that an easier experience and archive the matches.

Valve released an alpha version of the public mod/workshop tools for Dota 2 today. This is pretty cool on it's own, as it will allow for custom game modes and maps much more easily that before.

What is potentially even more interesting, however, is that a user on reddit discovered that the tools themselves appear to be running Source 2 with Dota ported into it, which would explain why the system requirements are so high.

Sven.................

Ok that was kinda brutal, I now fully expect the next Dota Today to just be a full on (& well deserved) gloat

Is there a VoD for this somewhere? I am not america so it is difficult to watch for me. 

I was able to watch the twitch stream VoD's from the UK this morning, & normally they upload the matches to Youtube about a day later so check there this evening perhaps

Watched the first game, but there were a bunch of technical issues with the stream during the early-midgame. Will probably catch a VOD eventually, I really enjoyed watching! The casting was a nice change from the rambunctiousness of the TI casters.

Sven.................

Ok that was kinda brutal, I now fully expect the next Dota Today to just be a full on (& well deserved) gloat

Really have my fingers crossed for a special DOTA Today episode recorded at Dear Mom as Brad & Sean drunkenly celebrate their victory.

What's the reader consensus on the new Dota2 tools, & the effect they might have on the game? 

I've just finished reading Chris Thursten's write up about the potential it has to change the game & i must admit i am A: interested in the effect this will have on dota2( it's like someone throwing out the rulebook) B:suffering from flashback's to my teenage years where i messed around with the hammer editor just for the hell of it.

Think this will fracture the community, or invigorate it? I'm already deeply fascinated with the way you essentially this is the first time since early Victorian times where it feels have multiple populists "codes" grown from one of one (e)sport, this almost feels like a very quite but very important statement of intent from valve, a sort of "the game came from the people, and we're giving it back to them".

The stream was a bit choppy, so I just jumped into the game client and it worked perfectly.

I wonder if they could register an amateur tournament to make that an easier experience and archive the matches.

We've asked Dyer a lot and for some reason it hasn't happened. Finol at Valve said it would be absolutely no trouble so I'm not sure what the issue is.

Watched both games last night.  Congrats Sean and Brad!  Those Shadow Wraith disconnects were driving me pretty bonkers.  Hope you both have time to record a Dota Today to recount the blow-by-blow.

What's the reader consensus on the new Dota2 tools, & the effect they might have on the game? 

I've just finished reading Chris Thursten's write up about the potential it has to change the game & i must admit i am A: interested in the effect this will have on dota2( it's like someone throwing out the rulebook) B:suffering from flashback's to my teenage years where i messed around with the hammer editor just for the hell of it.

Think this will fracture the community, or invigorate it? I'm already deeply fascinated with the way you essentially this is the first time since early Victorian times where it feels have multiple populists "codes" grown from one of one (e)sport, this almost feels like a very quite but very important statement of intent from valve, a sort of "the game came from the people, and we're giving it back to them".

I used to think that these kinds of splits would badly divide the community base, and that could potentially be a problem for a multiplayer game. However it seems like with each iteration of Counterstrike that game just gets even more popular. I think because the PC gaming market is growing at the moment the risks from these divisions is lessened, especially for a free game.

And of course I am very excited at the prospect of new mods. WC3 was host to all sorts of great mods with unique gameplay, so clearly there's a pretty strong base with these basic game mechanics for lots of different types of games.

I have a game idea I want to make. I'm excited!

...I opened up Hammer last night and it was indecipherable. I guess I'll need to learn.

I think the most interesting this that the tool is actually running on Source2 and has had Dota ported to it.

Half-Life 3 confirmed!

I am just excited for more Valve stuff coming down the pipeline, Left for Dead 3 is coming and I am excited. 

I have a game idea I want to make. I'm excited!

...I opened up Hammer last night and it was indecipherable. I guess I'll need to learn.

Did you open the new tools? I saw it looked a lot more similar to WC3.

An editor for WC3 didn't split the community that much. Lots of people played melee (regular) WC3, with a few custom games here and there. As time went on fewer people played melee but still played WC3 to get some tower defence or DOTA games. I think I had less than 100 games of WC3 1v1, I was scared to play an RTS 1v1 then. I still played 1v1 with friends but not the matchmaking.

SC2 has a shit custom games scene/UI/what have you. Nexus wars was the 1st map to be made that was kinda OK a few years ago and it's still the 1st thing you see when you press the custom games section. I don't bother loading up SC2, I kinda want to see some custom maps but they're impossible to find a game for unless they're one of the top 10 from release a few years back.

I hope it'll be similar to the WC3 editor and lobby system D:

Why would it split the community? Across multiple game modes or custom maps? 

Playing dumb game modes is a perfect end to an inhouse evening. Currently we can do Pudge wars, 5v5 meepo only, 5v5 invoker only, etc. Bring on more silly game modes. 

Did you open the new tools?

Yes... What else would I open?

AFAIK you cannot open that through the Dota 2 Mod Tools Alpha, but I suppose it's entirely possible I found a way, heh.

http://challonge.com/Rektreational

I'm hoping Brad Shoemaker's team pulls it together a bit in the losers bracket.

Also, I started cheering for #swagahnims scepter because of their name, then I noticed Brian Leahy is on it, so I hope they pull it together as well.

Aysee + Breckon vs Pyrion + Shane should be an interesting game.

In addition to Potato Day I'm rooting for 'Venomancer? I hardly knew her', because I really enjoyed their turnaround victory in game 1 (& also because their Brits & therefore all their games are actually at times I can actually watch live.

I had a brain fart and searched fruitlessly for variations on 'The Rekternational' yesterday.