Brannigan

DOTA 2

Yep. Allied Naga used ult and made everyone else invulnerable and my friend (Drkirby) had right-click-deny enabled. And murdered me. As I was charging up my epicenter. THE NERVE.

I was wondering if you fellow readers had any tip's on lords to learn for the higher slots on the farm priority?

Now obviously I know as a beginner I shouldn't be picking hard (or semi) carry lords, but if no one else does are there some options I can look to which are relatively forgiving?

The lords I'm focusing on in general currently are Windranger, Sand King, Crystal Maiden, Lich & Puck (who i enjoy hugely but only play v's bots in case i mess up).

I'm thinking perhaps Juggernaut & Dragon Knight as relatively fool proof options?

​I tend to enjoy lords with good manoeuvrability so any suggestion's which offer that would be ideal. 

Once you're comfortable with the game mechanics you should pick whoever you damn well want to pick. The only way to get better is to practice.

But if you're uncomfortable with doing that with real people, you can just play bot games.

I was wondering if you fellow readers had any tip's on lords to learn for the higher slots on the farm priority?

Now obviously I know as a beginner I shouldn't be picking hard (or semi) carry lords, but if no one else does are there some options I can look to which are relatively forgiving?

The lords I'm focusing on in general currently are Windranger, Sand King, Crystal Maiden, Lich & Puck (who i enjoy hugely but only play v's bots in case i mess up).

I'm thinking perhaps Juggernaut & Dragon Knight as relatively fool proof options?

​I tend to enjoy lords with good manoeuvrability so any suggestion's which offer that would be ideal. 

Dragon Knight and Viper are both solid heros and easy to play.

You can deny friendly heroes who have a damage over time debuff on them. You can attack them if they have less than 50% HP.

Razor's animation is fine when you notice that it's not an instant bolt but a projectile travels from razor to the target via the bolt. 

You can deny friendly heroes who have a damage over time debuff on them. You can attack them if they have less than 50% HP.

Only certain DoT debuffs. It's very intuitive. It's not very intuitive. If it's a poison effect copied from WC3 like veno/QOP Icefrog allows denying, Doom allows denying.

Blood rage, battle hunger, urn aren't deniable. It's all on a per spell basis.

As a new player I've found the DOTA 2 community to be way better than I anticipated. Like, usually when I mute someone it's just because they are kind of annoying, or their mic is too loud or something, and not because they are behaving like some terrible human being.

Yeah the dota community is actually super great at low-mid tiers.  The people at the upper tier tend to be from a more rancid time, but even most of them are cheering up.  I still think it suffers from skewing to a younger less mature crowd than other competitive multiplayer PC games, but I was expecting much worse.

IMO, Dota2's gotten significantly friendlier in the last year or so. I'm convinced that the introduction of ranked mode self-segregated a bunch of the hotheads and has resulted in a much more relaxed pub atmosphere. It's still an intimate game where your teammates can cause frustration, but at least I'm not running out of reports every week.

So this has been my observation, I am 25 matches in. I started playing last year,I got 10 matches in and dropped it due to the abuse. It felt like a shitty self-fulfilling prophecy where I would suck, try to learn in low tier games and instead of helping me my team mates would scream at me. it just sucked, and I had no fun at all.

I started playing again last week because of Brad from GB and Sean and I'm totally having an awesome time. Every time I join a pub game I seem to be meeting a good friendly duder or two to group up with and have only come across a handful of dicks in the last 15 games. A Russian boy called me an 'American Faggot' and a guy was verbally abusing a dude I had grouped up with because he died a few times in a row, and everyone told him to calm down.

is it normal for people to report someone for feeding? If they aren't intentionally doing it, but doing it because a lack of skill or some bad play, I don't find that to be a reportable offense. 

Also fellow new players, add me lets play some Lords Management, my steam name is the same as my username. 

Normal, sure. You are supposed to use it for intentional feeding though. The large majority of people who say they are reporting someone have already wasted their weekly reports on someone else.

Worth nothing that people rarely report for unintentional feeding, though, or they'd probably get put into low priority because I think that system's at least semi-automated. That is, there's some report threshold before you're actually punished.

Also what nj00s said. You only get 3 a week. (Though each report that contributes to a punishment comes back to you with a bonus report for the next week. Or it used to? Dunno if it still does.)

People report threaten me all the time. Never been in low priority. Classic "report this guy who isn't on our team of 4" spam in all chat, happens quite a bit to me.

Also fellow new players, add me lets play some Lords Management, my steam name is the same as my username. 

I will add you, though I still haven't found the nerve to play with real people yet. I think I will do every possible training thing until even thinking of giving it a shot.

Same.

Though... I'm sometimes amazed I haven't been muted, yet. I'll admit that I am a piece of shit on bad days. Always reactively, but still a piece of shit. Doing it just because they do it doesn't make it okay! Or... so I'm told.

I will add you, though I still haven't found the nerve to play with real people yet. I think I will do every possible training thing until even thinking of giving it a shot.

I know it is intimidating but stepping up into player versus player really hones the little skill you have quickly. You are going to lose. a lot. but you will continually improve! 

I played a single match today and it was amazing, I fed the Lion 3 deaths in quick succession and thought I had screwed myself, we were pushed back to our base and slowly but surely we came back to win the game in just under an hour. I wasn't a major player , but I assisted during team fights by stunning the enemy team with tide hunters ult , pushed in all of the right places and helped heal everyone up with mekansm. 

Felt good. 

I've watched pretty much every game in the Rektreational and watching regular players rather than pros actually is far more informative as I can see how some things work and don't work in different situations. Also, I've started doing the practice stuff in the game which has been interesting. Not very good at last hits and denies... working on it, though.

Are those posted somewhere? Or do you have to watch them live?

2 base-race games in one night.  pretty exciting, first was a major come from behind, second one even had a DR

never gonna concede!

game1

game 2

jon- 2nd was the one i invited you to join the shitshow.  the lycan had to deny the first aegis because his lord died but wolves were up.  second one he got ganked out mid rosh despite our warding around the pit.  third time he engaged, our team got smashed - w/o finishing he came out to die.  Pretty great!

Same. I did all the training a while back, played a few games with bots (never really knowing if I was playing properly or not), but bottled it when it came to playing with other humans from planet Earth. Humans are scary. If there are other newbies, I think I could pluck up the courage for something like that. 

Jon, have you watched the Daily Dota videos on GB? They're even better for learning than watching the tournament, because in a lot of them Crispy is constantly dropping tips about how to effectively use the heroes, particularly whatever Brad is playing. And more importantly, he's always aware of the flow of the game, so if you pay attention when he's telling the rest when to push, when to retreat, when to roam, etc, you learn a lot. 

At least, that's how I ended up coming into matchmaking fresh and knowing way more than my fellow newcomers.

Watch Purge plays and Merlini plays videos. They are really good. Merlini assumes some knowledge though, so Purge is probably better or beginners.