Brannigan

DOTA 2

It's not so much that people are mad at Valve for making money as it is that the core conceit of this setup is that people are paying to increase the prize pool of the competition. After the initial buy-in of the compendium, Valve is doing nothing to earn the 75% cut (minus taxes, etc.). Which, obviously, isn't strictly true, because the stretch goals come with cool new rads and whatnot, but surely you can understand... It's not a difficult concept.

I wonder how much putting on the actual event costs, and how much of that is covered by ticket and concession sales. It can't be cheap to rent out the Key Arena, outfit it for a live-streamed gaming event, and fly in people in from all over the world.

TI4 Compendium has been released. Anyone up for an Idle Fantasy League?

Sure, count me in.

2j6TgTo.jpg

Not sure if fake, tbh. Probably is???

2j6TgTo.jpg

Not sure if fake, tbh. Probably is???

I mean I could see it being someone dumping a ton of money to get a bunch of immortal items and then turn a profit later on. I know there are a ton of people doing that, but obviously not to the same extent. It could also just be fake or maybe an exploit someone found.

Edit: Regarding the cost to rent out Key Arena, I'm more surprised ESL One has managed to get the World Cup Stadium in Frankfurt.

Absolutely.

I bought the compendium, how do we start the league?

I don't even slightly understand how the fantasy league thing works, but I guess I'd join a thumbs league if someone could explain what that means.

It should support uo to ten teams, so I think you're number 6

I don't know if the Fantasy League stuff is broken or not available or what, but I the Join/Create League buttons in the Community tab are grayed out for me. 

I'll keep looking around, but if anyone can figure this out, let me know :P 

Guys I'm fairly certain it's just not available yet.

Also I forgot to say I'm in once it starts.

Today marks a first - Getting verbally abused by someone who rage quits moments later.

This hasn't happened since I played WC3 DotA years ago. I'm impressed it took this long.

Yeah most people don't do it any more. Not since people are on average any friendlier, at least not most people. It's because you can't use chat for increasing amounts of times when you're muted so you can't blame team mates as much.

TeamLiquid's got a new website for Dota2 now, it's got a pretty nice schedule with links to streams. Dunno if I'm allowed to directly link to it.

Yeah most people don't do it any more. Not since people are on average any friendlier, at least not most people. It's because you can't use chat for increasing amounts of times when you're muted so you can't blame team mates as much.

TeamLiquid's got a new website for Dota2 now, it's got a pretty nice schedule with links to streams. Dunno if I'm allowed to directly link to it.

Yeah it is nice, and you can link to it.  There was a nice writeup on the North American scene the other day.  A good read for anyone watching the qualifier games today.

http://www.liquiddota.com/forum/dota-2-general/3060-ti4-americas-the-new-world

Picked up my compendium earlier today, and I'd be happy to play in an idle thumbs fantasy league.  if there's room available, count me in.

So, Idle Fantasy Doto League: 

Entriech
Twig
taterdactyl
undermind9
casktapper
Cleinhun
BusbyBerkeley
Forbin
pkirkner

Me

Add me on Steam (Reyturn) and I'll get the league setup when it becomes available. 

So, Idle Fantasy Doto League:

Entriech

Twig

taterdactyl

undermind9

casktapper

Cleinhun

BusbyBerkeley

Forbin

pkirkner

Me

Add me on Steam (Reyturn) and I'll get the league setup when it becomes available.

Added. :)

done.

Also RE: Valley of trolls, I agree with that chart, but it seems to imply that things gradually get better at the same rate they got worse.  TBH I feel like if it improves at all at high levels it's probably a bigger spike.  The start of the curve would probably be fatter.  I went from level 1-10 before I started feeling like I was getting the stereotypical dota community member on my case. Now I'm playing games as hard support getting yelled at by bad Blood Seekers.