Brannigan

DOTA 2

Describing Sand King as a suicide bomber is doing him a great injustice. A good Sand King doesn't just ult and phase out.. he ults, stuns, backs off after the ult is over, waits for a new opportunity to stun, sandstorms for area of denial (though that does fall off late game), etc.

If you get a good epi blink into a teamfight, try to stun as many people as possible with the burrowstrike. If you have a shivas or veil use them asap. Sandstorm instantly after using everything else, gives you a few seconds of invisibilty, should be enough for the rest of your team to run in. Try to get the whole epi on as many people as possible, even if you die it keeps going. Aghanims epi is even better, it gives you more of the larger strikes that slow more. You should be able to live most of the time and then still be able to blink burrow strike anyone running away or helping more with your AOE stun.

That's all I'm saying. SK's contribution is to blow the enemy up. Obviously staying alive is better than dying but building for survivability to the detriment of initiation is a waste of his potential.

And, of course, this is all theory crafting in a vacuum. dota is super dynamic so nothing is set in stone.

undermind9: Also, that's the second time you've mentioned the shiva's guard. Will you say a little more about the strategy for using that? Are you using it's freezing aura to trap targets before epicenter or arctic blast after you've gotten into the midst of things? How does it play in?

i happen to love the shiva for any tanky hero that requires mana.  surviving fights fits my playstyle & the people i play with.  

on SK i would freeze aura after arrival to trap lords in the blast & epicenter.  the freeze though is a bonus effect of the passive -40 attack speed debuff, ~400 mana, and mana regen boost.  Some heroes just never have enough mana

And, of course, this is all theory crafting in a vacuum. dota is super dynamic so nothing is set in stone.

but this the most important.  one game you'll crush and have a blue staff, veil, blink, and shiva...the next it'll be a struggle to get the blink in a reasonable time & a mismash of parts to the rest of the desired items.  kind of a downer..but still a blast

Hey Thumbers, I am not used to this forum layout, as the only other forum I've ever been part of is Shacknews.

Is there a location or wikia that has the Idle Thumbs Dota 2 information? I would like to join the chat room and guild. 

If anyone could add me that would be great. My SteamID is http://steamcommunity.com/id/peters4life/

Thank you so much.

This next patch looks to be WILD. I think I'm most hyped about Zeus getting a skillshot(!). Also, maybe Techies are coming finally??

This next patch looks to be WILD. I think I'm most hyped about Zeus getting a skillshot(!). Also, maybe Techies are coming finally??

It's not really a skillshot, you can just deward with it now.

It is exactly a skillshot... You no longer have to click directly on a hero to harm them. It's an AOE. You still can, I think, but you don't have to. This allows you to hurt invisible heroes if you have an idea where they might be, and it will reveal them.

It is exactly a skillshot... You no longer have to click directly on a hero to harm them. It's an AOE. You still can, I think, but you don't have to. This allows you to hurt invisible heroes if you have an idea where they might be, and it will reveal them.

I have no idea if it hits invisible heroes but ok there is that. It's not AOE like Lion's impale, it still only hits 1 target. Unless you're hitting invisible heroes it'll still be vastly better to click the hero not the ground.

It hits the nearest enemy unit, including invisible units. A skillshot is defined as a skill that allows aiming, rather than clicking on the hero. Hence, it is a skill shot. By your logic, Lion's skill is not a skillshot because you have the ability to target. That's silly.

That's weird. They're both skillshots!

I mean I guess it is because it goes twice as far as the person you click on so if they're over 500 units away you have to aim, but the part where you click on someone and hit them without aiming isn't a skillshot because it can't be dodged. I'll call it a skill shot, but a low skill shot.

It can be dodged, though, even if Lion clicks on you. Even just walking to the side at the right time/speed will dodge it.

Targeted skill shot? Sorry. You can do it into fog of war, or you can just click the dude. Pretty big buff I think.

Also, Lich ult can go FOREVER with aghs. This is probably only going to happen in very, very niche circumstances but it will be so cool. Hehe.

I hadn't played any matches since March, but I did tonight. Had to get into the swing of things.

I felt robbed that they were winning matches. Like, no-competition winning matches. It took me a bit to get into the swing of things on my usual lord (Spirit Breaker), but I think I remember now.

I realized near the end of the second match that I need to tell an obviously losing team to stick around a sec after the match so I can give some pointers. I noticed some very learning-the-game kind of mistakes and meant to help, but I wasn't sure how my team would react to giving advice DURING competition.

I hadn't played any matches since March, but I did tonight. Had to get into the swing of things.

I felt robbed that they were winning matches. Like, no-competition winning matches. It took me a bit to get into the swing of things on my usual lord (Spirit Breaker), but I think I remember now.

I realized near the end of the second match that I need to tell an obviously losing team to stick around a sec after the match so I can give some pointers. I noticed some very learning-the-game kind of mistakes and meant to help, but I wasn't sure how my team would react to giving advice DURING competition.

Most people in random pubs don't actually appreciate tips. It just seems like more trash talking.

Most people in random pubs don't actually appreciate tips. It just seems like more trash talking.

I haven't encountered this before.

Yeah this is how it's been in my experience too.

TI4 Compendium has been released. Anyone up for an Idle Fantasy League?

Anyone else feel kind of weird about the whole pay us more money to level up your compendium? Also some of the rewards seem a little suspect, like they're basically charging for -ardm which was super big in WC3 and I figured was a given in Dota 2 at some point. The immortal items are cool, the ones last year were fun, but now there's also the arcana thing where you're giving Valve money to pick a hero for an item you can buy for $35. I dunno...

They're not charging for the mode. They're charging for rushing the mode. I agree with your other criticisms, but also I'm getting so much cool shit that almost... who cares? Sad the custom effects will go away fro dagon, etc. after TI4 ends, though. That's lame.

The only thing that bothers me is how big a cut Valve is taking off of Extra Money Spent. But I don't know what the logistics of tax money vs all that crap is, so I'll just leave it at that.

I find it hard to get mad at Valve for making something, selling it to people who want it and then keeping most of the money. That's kind of what a company that makes things does. 

However, I do feel more strongly about the fact that they take the same percentage of the revenues from community made items.