Brannigan

DOTA 2

Oh wow, I didn't realise Valve just traced over Dota patch notes. I guess they'd lose scene cred by going against the genre creator, but it still seems weird to put your game's balance in third party hands.

Big patches generally recieve parity with Dota 2 within a month and the bug fix patches (.b, .c, .d, ect.) usually are implemented the on the next week.

Dota2 is at 6.77c now so its just one version behind. Valve did however imply that any big balance changes would wait until after the International 3. 

This patch is for TI3,as in its coming out now to mix up how the games are played (making the change to drafting by far the biggest change in the patch).

This patch is for TI3,as in its coming out now to mix up how the games are played (making the change to drafting by far the biggest change in the patch).

That is cool. Wonder how the picking will change how picks are done? 

http://dotametrics.wordpress.com/2013/05/29/breaking-down-the-alliance-draft-strategy-spoilers/

Prettty interesting write up of Alliance draft strategy. 

Wait, what am I watching? Is he killing all his allies?

Edit: Nevermind, he's spectating from the other team's angle. Still not 100% sure what I'm watching though.

Oh, I get it. I thought Global Silence muted everyone on both teams. OK, it makes sense now.

Nope just the enemy team. And now it also adds a curse of the silent when you have Aghagnim's Scepter.

So awesome.

I kinda want to DOTA.

There are also a ton of X360 games I need to beat before the X1 disaster strikes.

And FTP MMOs....

So, after an internet friend was playing I decided to jump back into this. I'd played some of LoL as well as some bot matches in DoTA 2, but never played humans. So far I'm 1-1 in team games and 1-1 in solo games, so that's not bad at least. My last solo win I was playing Bristleback and was forced to play middle as the other four players were two duos that wanted to lane together. Strangely, the other team lined up both Pudge and Silencer (I think?) against me in mid. I basically hid behind creeps, waited for my level to outpace theirs, and rocked faces 9-2 (including a triple kill of both mid-laners and one would-be ganker.)

So I quit this a while ago, after almost 250 hours and, getting good I think? At it. And I quit when I was chewing out my team for losing because of stupidity, not lack of skill, but sheer inane stupidity. Crushing the enemy team most of the game, tier 3 tower down mid yet tier 2 still up on bot and top, and yet all they can do after that, time after time, is attack tier 4 and the ancient and get killed, about 6 times in a row until the enemy team finally recovered and just came back and crushed us in one fell swoop.

And I realized that's not what I wanted to do while playing a video game. I was trying to win, chewing them out by the end. But I didn't want to chew people out, that wasn't fun. But that's what 90% of the matches had turned into for me. So I quit for two months, and out of curiosity tried another match yesterday. And it was boring, and I don't know why I ever liked this game to begin with. Somewhere there's this hook to DOTA type games, this combination of hooks revolving around the illusion of teamwork, and the mastery of your environment, and the challenge of competition.

But the teamwork is so often just an illusion, a function of the game mechanics encouraging what looks like teamwork rather than an actual group of people co-ordinating towards the same goal. And even when it is actual teamwork, it's so basic, well in my perspective basic, that it's not terribly interesting. I spent 250 hours, played just about every character multiple times, played every match type, figured out every aspect of items and powers and the flow of a match, and now I'm done; and somehow so much of it seems hollow in retrospect, in a way that games I played even more of like Smash Bros and Rollercoaster Tycoon don't.

I'm done, and I'm glad I'm done, and I can go enjoy other games and things, and I'm glad I went back that once, just to confirm that it wasn't frustration or a bad match or something else that was eating at me. I just wish I knew what exactly it was that began to felt so frustrating and hollow about that game versus say, my several hundred hours in TF2 or Counterstrike Source.

Did you mostly play solo?  I usually play with other thumbs so the teamwork is definitely a lot better in those games, versus when I play a solo game with the new matchmaking mode so everyone is by themselves.  My favorite role is also support so playing that definitely involves a lot more active communication and teamwork, versus just playing carry (which I'll do when I just want to win games) and farming by yourself for 20 minutes before you do anything with a team.

Solo, but I think I got to a higher rank than you did, I suppose. By the end every other game was fairly co-ordinated in at least a small way. People teaming up for ganks was just implicit, someone shows up and everyone knows what to do, people call missing, team strats like 5 man and etc. are all agreed upon. None of that made it... engaging.

That doesn't doesn't sound like higher mmr Dota than my games, it's pretty par for the course. I guess this is one of those cases where I have to agree that it probably just isn't the game for you.

I've just recently started playing Dota2 on my own and my interest was piqued where I heard there might be a thumbs build. Is there any way for me to get in on this?

Man Troll Warlord is the funnest.

I enjoy taking on five Meepos solo and winning.

And then watching the other team get mad at me because I won. "noob"

So rude. ):

YOU'VE BEEN TROLLED.

How is it that IT dota channel always has like 10 people in it, but they are always idling? Comeon guys, lets get some team work going!

How is it that IT dota channel always has like 10 people in it, but they are always idling? Comeon guys, lets get some team work going!

We aren't called Active Thumbs for a reason.

Srsly though, once the Lords Management Guild is created, I think finding willing players will be a lot easier. I would love to have a game of exclusively 10 thumbs playing.