Brannigan

DOTA 2

Sorry for hijacking this threa - but ... after reading all this I just really want to give it a shot myself. Can anyone get me an invite on steam? My name is fkeel there.

would be amazing.

cheers

p.

Sure, catch me on Steam and I'll send you an invite. My username and avatar are the same as on the forums. While you're at it, join The Idle Thumbs Lords Management Consortium group on Steam.

I played my first match of Dota 2 (first Lords Management experience ever) and I was only slightly terrified the entire time.

Had the same experience not too long ago and I have played many matches since. Made ample use of the report & mute functions. You will encounter the toxicity of that community but it is far and few between. Plus, sites like Dota Alt Tab or the Dota2 subreddit offer enough guides on how to play this game that you can rapidly learn the heroes - even if it is just by osmosis.

I was a bit curious to try out one of those League of Dotas, picked LoL for some reason, installed and noticed that it unfortunately also installs and autostarts something called "pando media booster", which seems to be some kind of p2p crapware that hogs bandwidth independent of me actually playing the game. So I swiftly deinstalled everything  and am now looking at Dota2 for my virginal Lords Management experience. Thing is: Is that game clean in regard to spyware and drm besides steamworks? If so, is there a release date or does anyone have a spare beta key?

Thank you very much for the offer bakka. I won't take you up on it though. Turns out a friend of mine also had some keys left and I already have one game with bots under my belt. Gotta say, it's a terrifying piece of software. So much information streaming in and no time to actually read the tooltips or anything. Lots to learn it seems.

I was a bit curious to try out one of those League of Dotas, picked LoL for some reason, installed and noticed that it unfortunately also installs and autostarts something called "pando media booster", which seems to be some kind of p2p crapware that hogs bandwidth independent of me actually playing the game.

Just fyi, you can remove the pando thing independently of LoL without any issues.

You can? I removed it before I had started LoL for the first time, then tried and LoL didn't run so I just assumed that Pando thing had been necessary. Oh well, now I'll try my luck with Dota first.

Is there any website that has something like a dedicated learning section or beginners guide you would recommend? I'm reading some stuff on dotafire.com right now, but most guides are from 2011/early 2012 so I'm not sure how up-to-date they are.

Had the best Dota game I've ever played tonight (Which isn't saying much considering I've been really playing less then a week, but still.). Both team pushed themselves into the bases, engaging in tons of teamfights along the way. Two Spanish-speaking members of my team, neither of whom had typed a word of English the whole match said (In broken allcaps English.:P) that they'd defend the base, allowing us to to charge into the Dire base and wreck everything in sight. I (Playing Skeleton King.) used my stun to let the other racket up a tone of kills and tanked the creeps with a fully level Vampiric Aura. All in all, it was pretty badass.

This game. . .

i got a dozen dota 2 codes in my steam if anyone wants one?

im pretty sure they dont work in china if you happen to dervice from that country.

My steam account is:
Tundra_Boosh

Just what I want in my life. A fucking living armor buff. EHRNGNERN

Oh I meant to link 6.78, heh. 

Some cool things from 6.78:

Earthshaker
- Turn rate improved from 0.4 to 0.6
- Fissure range increased from 1200 to 1300
- Echo Slam now considers illusions as heroes

Lone Druid
- Spirit Bear now has its HP drained by Armlet when active
- Spirit Bear bounty increased from 100 to 300

Necrolyte
- If a unit dies under Reaper's Scythe, it will be credited to Necrolyte
- Aghanim's Reaper's Scythe causes buyback to be disabled on heroes it kills for that death

Bloodstone
- Initial charges increased from 6 to 8
- Can be activated to instantly kill yourself 

Bottle
- While empty, Bottle causes couriers to move 30% slower

Dust of Appearance
- Now stacks in inventory
- Now slows heroes with an invisibility buff on them by 10%

Okay that's better.

Or at least more interesting!

readin'

Necro seems super strong now in competitive games. I'm curious to see how that turns out.

Edit:both new heroes seem cool.

Edit:wow gem can never be destroyed.

I'm so excited for earth spirit oh man CAN'T WAIT

Guardian Angel AoE becomes global and affects buildings (including regen)

damn. Omni-knight going big. 

How do Dota patches affect Dota 2? I'm still fairly new, so I'm still not sure what the relationship between them is like. Does Valve implement icefrog's will, or do they diverge somewhat?

There are a few minor difference, I'm told, (like fixing bugs 'n' such... or making bugs!) but generally Dota 2 is updated less than a month after Dota 1. The only thing that lags is the heroes, obviously.