Brannigan

DOTA 2

I had some initial problems with figuring out the store and inventory. For the longest time I had a bunch of stuff in my stash, and tried to use it from there. After figuring out how to actually transfer them to my inventory I found it cumbersome having to click on each thing, then myself. Just before the end I discovered the keypad double-tap, which seemed like a shortcut to use a thing on myself.

Yep, it is. All of the inventory spaces are probably bound to the numpad right now (but can be rebound, I have them on the numbers on the left of the keyboard myself), and you can press a button and then click or just double press if you want to use it on yourself.

I leveled up a bunch of times, and towards the end I killed a million people. The JUGGERNAUT attack was cool and felt powerful.

Levelling up is obviously good - you get experience not just from player and minion kills you actually make, but also any that happen near enough to you. So just being in lane as much as possible near enemy creeps (the small NPCs that spawn continuously in lanes) dying is helpful. By the JUGGERNAUT attack I presume you mean Blade Fury, Juggernaut's Q in which he spins around and shouts his own name because he's a cool guy. It is pretty good, but until later on in the game you probably don't want to use it on creeps as you will run out of mana very quickly - save it for when you're having a fight with another player.

Everyone else seemed to have little groups of monsters with them, or they were following little groups of monsters. What are those?

Those are probably the creeps I was mentioning. As you likely noticed, there are three main "lanes" with forested areas in between them (generally referred to as the jungle). Creeps will spawn for both sides in those lanes, and will just run along them until they contact an enemy. Getting the killing blow on those creeps (those of the opposing team, anyway) will net you gold (the last hits you saw listed at the end of the game - getting lots of them is a good thing as it means you have more gold) and as I said, just being nearby when they die will grant experience.

I'm not sure how to read this, but I guess I levelled up pretty all right compared to the others. I had the most "last hits" (which is probably bad) and pretty low gold and xp per minute.

As mentioned, last hits are actually good. Your low gold and xp per minute were probably due to having died quite a lot - you're obviously not really gaining either when you're not even on the field. Dota is a game that rewards caution, particularly when you're new, so just playing more conservatively is probably one of the best initial tips I can give you. Until you are experienced enough to know whether you can fight a given other player and win, it may be best to presume that you can't, and only join in fights when other members of your team are already doing so.

Also they did implement a mic change and people can hear me in game, it's wonderful

Yeah! I've noticed I can hear my friends way better now than I used to. But... my friends could ALWAYS hear me fine. It was random people who couldn't hear me, and I suspect it's just because they were assholes and had their sound too low. U:

Yeah! I've noticed I can hear my friends way better now than I used to. But... my friends could ALWAYS hear me fine. It was random people who couldn't hear me, and I suspect it's just because they were assholes and had their sound too low. U:

sorry what was that? you'll have to type louder

Pretty accurate portrayal of some of the people I've run into!

Yea i've had people who specifically have in game voice turned down and refuse to change it, because they'd rather listening to music or something. Can't understand why you can't do both, jerkwads! Worst is when they still bitch about you not calling MIA or something, despite the fact that you did.

My response is usually "sorry I can't see the screen I don't know what's happening".

I just tell them I magically typed sounds into their earholes with my mouth and that it's not my fault they don't appreciate my wizardry.

I actually had one person tell me straight up, "I don't have speakers," which I thought was kind of the greatest thing.

Names that include some form of "playing without (speakers/monitor/sound/mouse)" are always great.

I never enable voice if Im playing with someone I dont know. Get out of my ears, butts.

Also, "real" dota starts when you aren't playing against/with people who buy Dagon level 5 on Queen of Pain.

Also 2: there is single player. You can play versus bots if you create a private game and turn bots on to fill empty slots. You can play team of players versus team of bots too.

I suspect the game is still invite only because basic stuff like tutorial is still missing. You will never be good at dota though. I've played dota for 5 years and I'm still garbage.

I wonder what the incentives will be for players to do the "mentoring" valve has talked about. It would have to be items or battle points bonuses or something tangible. I don't think veteran players would do it for faster matchmaking priority or out of the goodness of their hearts.

I'd do it for fun. I doubt the quality of mentors if you reward it too heavily..?

I havent played dota for a few months. I'm getting back into it tomorrow the isp butts can get my fibre working. I can play with some thumbs over the weekend if there is interest. I am europe.

I never enable voice if Im playing with someone I dont know. Get out of my ears, butts.

People like you are among the worst teammates. You can easily mute an annoying individual, so there's no reason to mute the kind of person who legitimately wants to communicate.

Shit, Twig and I agree on something. Uhhhhh, quick quick, uhhhhh, Leshrac makes good use of a Refresher Orb.

I was unaware we had the propensity to disagree!

Well shows what you know! Yeah, maybe not.

Either way, if you have your VOIP off by default in DotA don't play DotA.

So my new policy with cosmetic items is that now as soon as I get an item I already have I delete it and hope it recycles. So far I've deleted three rares and haven't gotten a mythical, but I've gotten some uncommons and a rare.