Brannigan

DOTA 2

If you don't have a general idea of what the game is, I always say to have someone break it down to you and then play a few game with 4 friends.

If you do know what this is about, just find 4 thumbers and play a few games with them anyway.

First time I played, my regular tf2 group just said "Follow us, we'll all go down the middle lane." Once we lost horribly, they told me that now that I knew how to not play Dota, I was ripe to learn how to play Dota. Fun was had either way.

Maybe I'll just join random games and piss a bunch of people off. Can I play under a false and untraceable alias?

I played my first game last night in a random coop match vs bots and did predictably terribly. Also do games tend to go on past 40 minutes? The pacing of it felt pretty laborious after a while, it's no Awesomenauts game that lasts maybe 15 minutes max. Lots of waiting around and not diving directly toward the enemy crystal. Also did I mention I was terrible? The shop utterly confuses me. Are the items you buy passive buffs? Or can you activate them from your stash?

I don't know about this game.

I played my first game last night in a random coop match vs bots and did predictably terribly. Also do games tend to go on past 40 minutes? The pacing of it felt pretty laborious after a while, it's no Awesomenauts game that lasts maybe 15 minutes max. Lots of waiting around and not diving directly toward the enemy crystal. Also did I mention I was terrible? The shop utterly confuses me. Are the items you buy passive buffs? Or can you activate them from your stash?

I don't know about this game.

Generally it's 30-60min a game. Unless one side gets seriously stomped.

The shop utterly confuses me. Are the items you buy passive buffs? Or can you activate them from your stash?

Depends, some items you use, some just give you stats or auras or the like. You can't use items form your stash though, that's just for holding items.

Yea I remember how confusing the store was as a new player. they definitely need to make a video or something for the learn section showing how it's all laid out and how the tiered item buying system works.

One thing: do players ususlly use their human voices when playing this game, or do they chat by typing?

It varies. Usually if I'm civil and chipper people start using their mics if they have them, or typing back. On other occasions I get yelled at in monosyllabic not-quite-English. It's a crapshoot, but it's worth it for that one game where everyone is nice and relaxed, just chatting away win or lose.

I still find the in-game voice chat a bit hit and miss simply from a technical standpoint (and the way the volume controls work in the game leaves a lot to be desired as well), but when playing with other Thumbs or people I know we always use Mumble or Skype. The play experience improves greatly.

I use the voice chat when it's not going to disturb my wife, it does make it more fun and easy to play strategically. I heard in the next patch they are working on a codec that's going to make the voice chat a bit better

Yea I really enjoy that people mysteriously can't hear me on the in-game voice, but any extrenal voip program works totally fine.

Yea I really enjoy that people mysteriously can't hear me on the in-game voice, but any extrenal voip program works totally fine.

It makes me rage.

I was hoping for an ingame chat channel in the OP. Is there one?

I'm so bored playing solo pubs, regardless of how awful I am most nights.

GAME REPORT:

I fired up DOTA, and, unable to find any tutorial or single player thing I jumped into a match. I selected Juggernaut, and the following occured over the next half hour:

1. I was surprised by the French announcer voice. Is there a reason for such a weird voice other than that it's sort of cool?
  2. The M-M-M-MONSTER KILL thing was cool at first, but then I found it a bit annoying. I guess there's less of that in pro elite master gold league series games.
  3. I had some initial problems with figuring out the store and inventory. For the longest time I had a bunch of stuff in my stash, and tried to use it from there. After figuring out how to actually transfer them to my inventory I found it cumbersome having to click on each thing, then myself. Just before the end I discovered the keypad double-tap, which seemed like a shortcut to use a thing on myself.
  4. I leveled up a bunch of times, and towards the end I killed a million people. The JUGGERNAUT attack was cool and felt powerful.
  5. Everyone else seemed to have little groups of monsters with them, or they were following little groups of monsters. What are those?
  6. I opened by explaining my inexperienced status on the chat, but nobody replied. Also, nobody said anything.
  7. We won, and it ended like this:

Injhf.jpg

I'm not sure how to read this, but I guess I levelled up pretty all right compared to the others. I had the most "last hits" (which is probably bad) and pretty low gold and xp per minute.

All in all, a positive surprise considering all the horror stories I've heard.

last hits are good! do that! The announcer right now is Death Prophet's voice because of halloween. Less dying though!

Also they did implement a mic change and people can hear me in game, it's wonderful

Wait, didn't I play the proper game? Was this some Halloween bullshit? How much of my experience was actually DOTA 2?

No the Krobelus announcer is just a temporary replacement for the regular one. You played a real game, and you played Juggernaut for your first real game. You can experience nothing more actually DotA.

It's all uphill/downhill from here, depending on your point of view.