Brannigan

DOTA 2

Got in my first game where all the people actually used mics. They weren't just yelling at each other the whole game, they were literally screaming. We won though so it clearly is the most effective way to give instructions to teammates.

So I've never played a DOTA game before (in fact, I don't even have a passing knowledge of the genre. The last few pages of this thread have intimidated me terribly). Is this a good place to start? Is familiarity with the original or League of Legends necessary, or does Valve's penchant for polish make this the most accessible starting point? It's not an open beta, right. I'd have to get an invite?

You'd have to get an invite, and, no, it's not very good at teaching new players how to play, yet. They are going to add tutorials and stuff (even, it seems, for certain individual characters), but I guess that's not top priority right now, as it seems there's been no progress made on that front for a long while.

If you're interested in playing a game like this, I'd start with LoL. There's still a ton to learn and stuff, but it is definitely a less complicated game than dota

To be fair, LoL will teach you both some of the necessary mechanics and also instill you with a few bad habits. If you can handle it (and find an invite), just jump right into DotA and get used to it.

To be fair, LoL will teach you both some of the necessary mechanics and also instill you with a few bad habits. If you can handle it (and find an invite), just jump right into DotA and get used to it.

True, I guess it just depends on how masochistic you feel

It is by no means necessary to start with LoL. I would discourage it, but really only because I dislike LoL as a game compared to Dota, so what do I know.

Last night:

It is by no means necessary to start with LoL. I would discourage it, but really only because I dislike LoL as a game compared to Dota, so what do I know.

Last night:

That mirana got rocked pretty hard.

Ugh I didn't even notice that I made a pun until I after I posted.

Everything about Brewmaster is incredible. :worship: From the VA (done by Nolan North!) to the skills to just how fun he is to play. :woohoo: Everything.

Everything about Brewmaster is incredible. :worship: From the VA (done by Nolan North!) to the skills to just how fun he is to play. :woohoo: Everything.

Still haven't tried him, what little I've played has been single draft mode, has not come up for me yet.

League and Dota 2 are both good games, but they're really different even though they're both based on the same thing. I wouldn't look at LoL as a game to learn to transition to Dota 2, I would look at it as a game to start playing if you want to play League of Legends. If you want to play Dota and can get an invite it's easy enough to start, if you do some reading on the basic mechanics and then watch some videos you'll be able to get an understanding for things and then I'd recommend playing bot games. Bot games don't count for anything, they don't go on your record and you can leave them whenever so people generally don't care if you're bad. Also watching some gameplay commentaries or casted games can help a lot . PurgeGamers on youtube has a lot of games with commentary for DotA and Dota 2, he has almost 400 videos up so if you search for a hero you don't know chances are he has a game or two with it and he'll go over it.

I discovered that as players leave a bot game, so do bots!

Still didn't stop me and the other guy getting murdered though.

I've been doing what you said and randoming in pubs Orvidos. It seems to be catching on. i rolled death prophit last night which was awesome fun.

Or you could just watch a pro.

I don't know if it is on purpose, but that video pauses in 27s just as the tower bolt is about to hit queen. i'm on tenderhooks here:( And it just short circuited to the end><

It played trough fine for me.

Huh. Nope, it's not supposed to do that. I don't have that problem, and other people don't! D:

It loaded! And woo urn, my most favourite item.

OK. So I think I'm just going to go trolling for a beta invite and jump in. In the mean time, is the original DOTA a good starting place?

Also, I've been playing Awesomenauts on PS3. It's a 2-d sidescrolling take on the Lords Management/ Hero Arena and so far seems pretty interesting. Anyone else check it out? If you have, and want to play together, my PSN ID is kmolyneaux.

(If you guys get sick of me bragging about killing pubs, let me know, and I'll stop. I mostly do it for my own entertainment, anyway. D: )

One day I'll be able to actually pull this kind of stuff off in high-level comp play! Haha yeah totally gonna happen yeah.

This new monitor is going to get me killed so many times. There is too much space to look at. ;(

(Moved from 1440x900 to 1920x1080)