Brannigan

DOTA 2

i wanna:( in better news, i've got my ranked LoL above 1200 again. 73% win on soraka \o/

Accept my invite then, you dolt. :grin:

You are so handsome and cool orvidos. If i could send you cookies you would be eating cookies right now.

Well, i'm terrible at dota2. Dem bots:(

I'm finding it a struggle with the interface. At one point i got infuriated at my character not moving and wondered why my teammate was chasing the donkey around when i discovered it was because i was controlling the donkey at that point. There is very little feedback on your skills (last game on viper, it was hard to tell when my poison spit was being cast) and very little feedback on your status (stuns etc.). My character kept moving forward when i wanted him to stay still. The space bar zooms to a random location and then back to your hero on the next press.

Other things i had trouble with was the denying, and just the whole damage and mana dynamic they have going on. I used my stun on skelly king and over half my mana went with it. Too many times i attacked when there was creeps nearby to retaliate. The shop is insane. Getting stun locked from 100% to 0% health is nasty too. I just don't know the abilities to see them coming.

It was all a big CF and it made me cry.

However, killing things with skelly king was awesome, so I'll be back:)

Edit: Much of this is probably just me being terrible.

Yeah a lot of that is stuff we're probably just new to, or is very different from LoL. But I have to agree about the interface, and pretty much everyone I've spoken to so far has too. It's just generally pretty terrible.

Orvidos seems to be of the opinion that Valve's current priority is just getting all the heroes in, then they'll start screwing with actual systemic/interface stuff. Hopefully he's right about that.

I like the interface.

In fact, coming from LoL, I find Dota 2's shop to be infinitely superior.

As I mentioned before, I think the store interface is quite confusing. The search function is nice but that's it, that's really only useful if you know what you want. When I'm playing with relatively new players I end up having to explain the store a lot.

- Added setting to draw hero icons as default in the minimap. Alt will show X's and O's.

For whoever I was talking to about it with in dota the other day.

- Added setting to draw hero icons as default in the minimap. Alt will show X's and O's.

For whoever I was talking to about it with in dota the other day.

Gwar and myself.

Whoop 7/3/10 on lich in a real persons game. I was 4/2/6 when they started DCing. As was pointed out, real people are a lot less scary than bots!

Whoop 7/3/10 on lich in a real persons game. I was 4/2/6 when they started DCing. As was pointed out, real people are a lot less scary than bots!

I'm beginning to feel like having really good bots in a DotA-like is actually a detriment to new player retention, rather than an aid. If they can balance the Easy bots to play like terrible humans, then fine. As it is, bots are predispositioned to form "stun-lock" teams and hunt you down. Not to mention that bots are stupider the more humans are on their team.

Ya, i got caught in a lot of stun lock bot combos, or earth shaker + Lina a few times. It was very discouraging. When i (accidentally) went up against the humans i was able to read them a lot better. I'd only recommend the easy bots to people for a few games and only then to learn the control scheme and how to manage mana and their chosen toon's skills.

It also helped that when i told the peeps on my team it was my 1st game they told me when to stay and when to go. There seems to be a lot more wandering around in the jungle in this game. I like the ganking dynamic, there is more options for where to come from and where you can suddenly be countered from.

That said, i got a kill under my tower despite them shouting to run. A LoL tower would have taken that guy out much quicker^^

Having read a few guides etc. i was much better able to handle the interface tonight. Understanding stuff like that you can command other units RTS style, knowing how to manage my mana and learning to deny creeps really helped. I also turned off the auto attack option which helped a lot.

At times i found my toon to be somewhat unresponsive. Perhaps it was lag.

I actually never played the bots. I can see why people would choose that option if they have little experience with a dota-like game. I've long been in the habit in LoL and now Dota of just saying fuck it and trying characters out without reading any sort of guides. Twig and his friend having introduced me to Single Draft mode has made that my favorite mode now, since you're usually forced to play new characters you may have never touched before.

As I mentioned before, I think the store interface is quite confusing. The search function is nice but that's it, that's really only useful if you know what you want. When I'm playing with relatively new players I end up having to explain the store a lot.

I legitimately detest League of Legend's store.

Also, I really have no idea why I preferred Dota 2's store before. Now, I know it's because of grid mode. Grid mode is boss.

I lied, I'm so sorry!

Edited by Orvidos

Cool, I'd like to try it, if you still have one? :D

I was given 2 as well, though they might be spoken for already. Maybe they're making a big push to get more people in?

I'm beginning to feel like having really good bots in a DotA-like is actually a detriment to new player retention, rather than an aid. If they can balance the Easy bots to play like terrible humans, then fine. As it is, bots are predispositioned to form "stun-lock" teams and hunt you down. Not to mention that bots are stupider the more humans are on their team.

this has been my experience. I've played a bit of LoL (I don't really care for competitive VGs, so mostly 5 v bots) and a lot of Diablo 2 and Torchlight, but no WC3 or DotA or HoN. I'm used to smallish UIs and player characters which move with no inertia. In Dota 2, I'll activate powers which just don't go off because they need targeting when I don't expect them to. I click on bits of the UI because the rectangle through which the map is visible is so small.

out of courtesy I'm trying to not join human games until I can at least reliably control my character, and in my best game with me+4 bots against 5 bots, I went 1K-7D with 2 assists. (I've played about 4 or 5 other games, in all of which I've gotten shut out.)

this game is remarkably frustrating to get into in its current state. which is a shame, because I find things like the shop interface way more approachable than the shop interface of LoL, and the UI generally is snazzier and more well-designed. but for now I think I'm going to have to put it down until it ships.

Cool, I'd like to try it, if you still have one? :D

They have been claimed in exchange for services, I'm so sorry Pirate. ;(

@Vogon: I've had to tell everyone so far, but bots don't teach you anything other than how to be godfearing and cowardly. Go play against real people the moment you understand the interface. DotA 2 bots are leagues ahead of LoL bots (kill me), and you won't learn anything useful from them.

Edited by Orvidos

DotA 2 bots are leagues ahead of LoL bots (kill me)

LoLlin'

They have been claimed in exchange for services,

@Vogon: I've had to tell everyone so far, but bots don't teach you anything other than how to be godfearing and cowardly. Go play against real people the moment you understand the interface. DotA 2 bots are leagues ahead of LoL bots (kill me), and you won't learn anything useful from them.

yeah, I understand that. it's not necessarily that I don't understand the interface, either, it's that I can't employ it effectively in combat; I imagine that the tutorial will eventually help newbies iron that stuff out, but it would be nice if one of the bot settings was totally goddamn braindead so I could figure out effective unit movement and power and item usage before getting my butt kicked by Internet dudes. ;(

Two resounding victories on lich, one horrible defeat. I've even figured out the courier system:) I'm well up for a game tomorrow night if anyone is playing.

I've worked out a lot of my issues with the interface. I think I can do some console tweaks to show my range finder more consistently and hopefully turn off the way your champ walks towards enemy champs if left without order><

What is it about the lol shop that gets to you guys? I find it grand and very amenable to browsing for what you need. I still have issue figuring out what I am getting in the dota shop. Some items enter the stash as items, some as recipes. Some items auto buy when you reach the shop, others stay in the stash...:finger:

What is it about the lol shop that gets to you guys? I find it grand and very amenable to browsing for what you need. I still have issue figuring out what I am getting in the dota shop. Some items enter the stash as items, some as recipes. Some items auto buy when you reach the shop, others stay in the stash...:finger:

I think I'm the only one who hates LoL's shop. I similarly don't get the hate for Dota 2's. It's leagues ahead of both LoL's and HoN's, as far as I'm concerned.

The item upgrade system is another story entirely. Dota 2's is undeniably more complicated that LoL's. But I put up with it because it's also more interesting.

Some tips:

Nothing "autobuys" by default (although I think there's an option to autobuy stuff in your quickbuy bar if you choose to do so). What happens is you buy pieces for an item, and if you buy all the pieces, and you have one of those pieces in your inventory already, walking near the fountain will combine all items in your inventory and stash to create the new item.

Other than that, stuff always stays in the stash, yes.

If you inventory is full when you buy an item, it goes in the stash no matter what.

Played another game as shadow demon tonight, played well enough as a ganker/support and we won. Then got stuck in a single draft, played jakiro for the first time, and did TERRRRIBLE

Uh, Dibs, turn off auto-attacking.

It's off, he doesn't run to the creeps any more. Every so often he seems to make a beeline for champs though. Maye I'm imagining things.