Brannigan

DOTA 2

Bad game after bad game today. I think I need to take a break. Even when my team wins, I'm still awful and contribute nothing. Worst.

I finally got around to playing a couple of games of the Lords Management mod on SC2(been playing warcraft and starcract for years and never got into DOTA, and I had so much fun I did the hardware survey and opted in for the DOTA2 beta. Hopefully I can get in soon

which did you try? I've not enjoyed any of the sc II ones, other than star battle, which is really good. Only having one life suits it brilliantly.

I tried Hero Attack, the current popular one. Yea it's got some rough edges for sure. But for someone like me who is new to the genre, its fun enough. I'm sure it doesn't compare to LOL or the other ones though

Finally got in a game with Thumbs, specifically Twig, wherein his friend showed me up. Good game though!

Had a pretty funny game as earthshaker where the enemy rikimaru kept blaming his deaths on lag instead of me stunlocking him, or throwing sentry wards all over the lane so I could see him. Also went 10/2/15 or something as dragon knight, first time playing him. At the end pudge locked me down in their spawn and I still got out with half hp.

Finally got in a game with Thumbs, specifically Twig, wherein his friend showed me up. Good game though!

To be fair, we like to play super aggressive when we lane together. Combos like Lion/Sven or the Drow/VS you saw today are not uncommon. When you pull off an aggressive lane properly, your opponents tend to start bowing out of fights way earlier than is probably necessary. Too, Viper has no chance against a super aggressive lane that early in the game, even if he was good (which he wasn't). Windrunner should've had an easier time holding us back, though.

Scare them early, and they stop being brave. They would literally run from us all the way back to their tower by the end of the laning phase, if we showed even a hint of aggression. It was hilarious. U:

We also almost always win when he mids Pudge and I Dazzle with someone in a side lane. He's a pretty good Pudge, and Dazzle was the first hero I put real effort in learning in Dota 2.

I love it. I mainly just play Tinker, but I have infinite fun with it. I can't bring myself to play anything else, and I feel like I'm neglecting a lot of good stuff.

Finally got a beta key and had a chance to play, 3 online games and 2 with bots. I did terrible and lost all but one, but after reading a lot of guides online I'm finally getting the hang of things. How best to farm creeps early game, how to survive a gank attempt, how best to use items for specific characters.

My last game was epic, we had the "score" lead the whole time, but they had one hero who outleveled all of us and was a big pain, we finally pushed into their base after taking down three of them at once, but we had to fall back and their leveled up creeps were too much for us to handle with our towers gone late game. It could have gone either way and it really sold me on the game.

Finally got a beta key and had a chance to play, 3 online games and 2 with bots. I did terrible and lost all but one, but after reading a lot of guides online I'm finally getting the hang of things. How best to farm creeps early game, how to survive a gank attempt, how best to use items for specific characters.

My last game was epic, we had the "score" lead the whole time, but they had one hero who outleveled all of us and was a big pain, we finally pushed into their base after taking down three of them at once, but we had to fall back and their leveled up creeps were too much for us to handle with our towers gone late game. It could have gone either way and it really sold me on the game.

Fair warning, in the current beta state, you will have one of these games for every twenty you play. The matchmaking, while not total shit, isn't great right now, and the longer you let that search bar get the worse your experience will be. If you find yourself getting burned out and really need a break, take one.

For like fifty games I have stayed consistently 13 wins ahead of losses.

I don't know how I do it. D:

I'm in a similar situation. I swear I'm losing more than I win, and yet. :grin:

I am the man wot showed up. I finally got around to joining the forums now since I donated to the kickstarter of dreams coming true. Silly skype users.

broccoli.png

(my steam avatar)

was a pixel art version of my old avatar

mosesn0bedit.gif

that I made for a a minecraft skin, and subsequently started using for steam because it fit the square avatar format better.

I hate to say it, but I think I'm just too heavily invested in League of Legends to play DotA2...

As someone who learned the genre way too late, I can't help but see the design as somewhat anachronistic- Equally as deep and potentially rewarding, just more complex. I'm not saying LoL is BETTER mind you, just streamlined to the point where the idea of learning DotA sounds like more work than fun whenever I start doing research, reading guides, or watching games.

Can anyone who knows both think of a reason why someone who consistently has a ball playing LoL almost every day should take the time to learn DotA2 as well, or should I just quit feeling weird about my current path and chalk all this up to 'eh, different strokes'?

Both Twig and I came from a year or so of playing LoL as our main game, hundreds of hours, etc. DOTA is just so much more rewarding, and its worth giving it a chance.

Yeah honestly it's just because Dota feels so much more rewarding when I do well. There's also a wider variety of viable builds per individual hero, which on a base level is much more appealing to me than LoL's "all characters of similar archetypes have near identical builds!" sorta mindset. The active items ALSO add a whole other level of Neat.

Yeah, it's a billion times more complex, but as a result it's a billion times more rewarding.

You're basically punished for not having cookie-cutter builds in LoL. Riot is also terrible at hero balance (See: Akali, forever) and compared to DotA the game is just easy. I went back and played a few games of LoL last week, and while I was never bad at the game, I was never "three Pentakills in a game" good.

To be fair, LoL doesn't punish you for mistakes like DotA does. One of the people I play with frequently played heroes like Renekton, Garren and basically anyone that dives in and does crazy stuff. He still hasn't adjusted to the more cautious style and frequently makes terrible decisions.

TL;DR - If you get the chance, give DotA a shot, but be prepared for some skill ceiling shock.

I think both games have some balance issues though. There's some seriously OP characters in dota 2. Like skeleton king and ursa being able to kill rashon at level 1. Dazzle/silencer are giant dicks also. It's rare that I see a bad skeleton king, hell the first time I played him I steamrolled the other team.

I think both games have some balance issues though. There's some seriously OP characters in dota 2. Like skeleton king and ursa being able to kill rashon at level 1. Dazzle/silencer are giant dicks also. It's rare that I see a bad skeleton king, hell the first time I played him I steamrolled the other team.

If you see a Skeleton King and Ursa on the same team, you should check if they're killing Roshan. You can easily get the jump on them and kill them (or even steal the aegis, if you time it right).

I don't really know what to tell you other than you're wrong. None of those heroes are overpowered. They all have counters. It's just a matter of knowing what those counters are.

If you see a Skeleton King and Ursa on the same team, you should check if they're killing Roshan. You can easily get the jump on them and kill them (or even steal the aegis, if you time it right).

I don't really know what to tell you other than you're wrong. None of those heroes are overpowered. They all have counters. It's just a matter of knowing what those counters are.

Same goes for LoL really. Except maybe Fizz's first week, that was pretty stupid. The reason I pick on Skeleton King/Ursa is because it's super rare to see them do badly unless it's someone who clearly has never played any sort of dota-like game before. I don't think either game is ever going to be in perfect balance.

That's the argument I have to give every other game it seems, when playing with new people. Everyone in DotA is crazy powerful compared to kill times and damage ratios in LoL. The reason Tiny (the stone guy that throws people) can two shot you is because that's all he does. And if he doesn't buy items at level 2, he doesn't even have enough mana for that combo.

Admittedly, people can spiral out of control in both games, but you can come back from a 5, 7 or even 10 losses in DotA. Rare as that may be. Something that people typically deride "professional" LoL for is that you can tell who's going to win a professional game about ten minutes in. People like Akali, and Garren, and anyone who manages to fill a Maijai's (whoever made that item should be fired) are unstoppable for the rest of the 15 minutes it'll require for you to surrender.

Another big problem with DotA 2 in its current state is that a lot of hard carries are in (Anti-Mage, Weaver, Faceless Void to name the biggest) and a lot of their counters aren't. AMs biggest counter in Obsidianutworld Destroyer got added last week. And there's an easy counter to anyone: hard CC.

DotA is a lot more lethal than LoL, but because everyone is crazy lethal, it all balances out. But picks do matter a lot more in DotA than LoL, and getting flatly out-picked will end the game before it starts more often than not.

Edited by Orvidos

That's the argument I have to give every other game it seems, when playing with new people. Everyone in DotA is crazy powerful compared to kill times and damage ratios in LoL. The reason Tiny (the stone guy that throws people) can two shot you is because that's all he does. And if he doesn't buy items at level 2, he doesn't even have enough mana for that combo.

Admittedly, people can spiral out of control in both games, but you can come back from a 5, 7 or even 10 losses in DotA. Rare as that may be. Something that people typically deride "professional" LoL for is that you can tell who's going to win a professional game about ten minutes in. People like Akali, and Garren, and anyone who manages to fill a Maijai's (whoever made that item should be fired) are unstoppable for the rest of the 15 minutes it'll require for you to surrender.

Another big problem with DotA 2 in its current state is that a lot of hard carries are in (Anti-Mage, Weaver, Faceless Void to name the biggest) and a lot of their counters aren't. AMs biggest counter in Obsidianutworld Destroyer got added last week. And there's an easy counter to anyone: hard CC.

DotA is a lot more lethal than LoL, but because everyonpe is crazy lethal, it all balances out. But picks do matter a lot more in DotA than LoL, and getting flatly out-picked will end the game before it starts more often than not.

I honestly haven't seen an Akali become unstoppable in a while, last one I saw at all I was playing support and I just picked up an early oracle's. That was pretty much the end for her. Garen does get really stupid sometimes, but he's nowhere near as ridiculous as he was like a year ago.