Sign in to follow this  
toblix

Resident Evil 5

I loved RE4 (the Wii version) for a lot of things, but ended up hating it for its difficulty and frustraticity. For some reason (probably the RE6 announcement) I just bought RE5 since I feel like playing a fun game, and I think I remember hearing it was pretty good. I have a couple of questions:

1. Is the online co-op good? Is it the single-player campaign with two players? Do you save progress in the same way? Oh, and is the single player any good?

Co-op is exactly the same as the singleplayer. The singleplayer of RE5 is worse than RE4 for a couple of reasons:

- You have a partner constantly behind you destroying the spooky vibe

- No more hooded salesman in the game but a stupid shop system in between levels

- The game isn't so much a 'coherent big world' anymore as it is a collection of levels that you are encouraged to speedrun through for records

Having said that, it still is a fun and diverse zombie romp and you should have a lot of fun shooting black people.

Man, that RE6 trailer was pretty incredible, wasn't it? The Revelations demo on the 3DS was pretty incredible too.

Anyways, RE5.

Don't play it alone. The main campaign and all of the mini-campaigns/dlc are built around a two-player dynamic.

See, in making it a pretty good co-op game, Capcom kind of ruined it as a solo experience. The game is balanced for two capable players acting in tandem, and the solo game stands in a kind of shitty AI for that second player. (Capcom did this to Lost Planet 2 as well, and it went over even more poorly there.)

Basically, on anything over easy, RE5 is just a really, really shitty solo-experience. Your AI partner is just incredibly stupid in some really infuriating ways.

It's a pretty enjoyable co-op experience though, online is very solid and all that.

It's also not scary, if you're looking for that. RE4 was already very action-focused, but still had some incredibly tense stuff. RE5 goes even further though, it has no tension, it's very much an action-movie in tone. Some of it's to do with the co-op nature of the game, having somebody watching your back, but a lot of it is just the game itself.

Edit: (RE4 was hard? Maybe i just played through that game too many times to notice anymore, but once you had a handle on how to abuse the sprint & quick turn to put distance between you and your enemies, it was pretty easy.)

Edited by Sno

Thanks! Is there a lobby for finding a co-op partner? Has anyone here bought it but not yet played it?

Me and Poo played it together a while back, it was pretty good. You should get Poo to do it with you, he knows where all the weapons are and everything. I would be up for a game too, although I am no Poo.

Aaaaanddddyyyyy!! You don't call, you don't write! But yes, I have RE5 and would be willing to play that again and it was fun! It's been a while, so I'm probably not very good at it. Controls always take some getting used to.

Man, that RE6 trailer was pretty incredible

THE LOGO LOOKS LIKE A WOMAN GIVING A BLOWJOB TO A GIRAFFE. There. Now none of you can't unsee it, when you see it.

I've actually kind of been wanting to play through RE5 again too.

I'm on the 360, of course.

THE LOGO LOOKS LIKE A WOMAN GIVING A BLOWJOB TO A GIRAFFE. There. Now none of you can't unsee it, when you see it.

Off, you're right. Not as bad as London 2012 (Lisa Simpson fellating a dwarf).

Off, you're right. Not as bad as London 2012 (Lisa Simpson fellating a dwarf).

Good god, I wish it was possible to unsee this. I guess it's a good job I have no inclination to watch the damn thing!

Oh and as for the Revelations demo, I really enjoyed it despite a spot of minor RSI trying to use the shoulder buttons at the same time as supporting the weight of the 3DS.

Edited by oubliette
Addition!

OHMYGODYOUGUYS

I just played two or three chapters with PiratePoo, and it was great. The controls were pretty awkward, but it's weird how you can adapt to the most awkward shit. Anyway, we fought hordes of zombies and some bird things, and a couple of bad ass bosses, like this one guy with a sack over his head and a chainsaw that took off my head in a single swipe.

:tup: Looks pretty good

:tup: Co-op combat is fun and satisfying

:tmeh: Some more sections where we're separated would've been nice.

:tdown: Motorcycle zombie quick time events.

:tup: Motorcycle zombies

:tdown: Motorcycle zombie

:tdown: Games for Windows Live

:tup: The shotgun

:tup: Barks that you can spam all the time.

"Chris! Come on! Hurry! Hurry! Hurry! Hurry! Thanks! Thanks! Thanks! Thanks! Chris! Come on! Come on! Come on!"

He kept talking about you, Armchair. Whenever we did something, he always had to explain how you two had done it just a little bit cooler and better. You always had more ammo left, got a higher score, found more secrets. At one point someone called him. I waited while he picked up the phone and spoke with someone in Dutch. It went a little something like this: "Hallo mam? Ja, ik ben een beetje druk aan het spelen van Resident Evil 5 met iemand. Resident Evil? Je weet dat de co-op zombie game? Ja, dat is het een? Wat? Nee, het is iemand die heet toblix. Ik wou dat het ArmchairGeneral was echter. Ik heb zo veel plezier als we samen spelen, we lachen en grappen, en bespreken ernstige zaken ook. Ik heb het gevoel dat ik kan zeggen wat ik echt voel hem, terwijl bij toblix ik moet mijn woorden kiezen meer zorg, zodat hij niet ingaan op mijn minachting. Als hij realiseerde me dat ik alleen maar met hem gespeeld om mijn doel vaardigheden die hij zou zo verdrietig praktijk, maar ik zou het niet erg want hij is zo'n zak stront. Ik haat hem zo. Ja, ik weet dat je dat ook doen. Vaarwel mijn lieve moeder. Ik mis je vochtig te omarmen! Kbedankt!"

"Hello mom? Yes, I am a smattering busy to playing resident Evil 5 with someone. Resident Evil? Your weet that co-op the zombie game? Yes, that is it? What? No, it is someone who hot toblix. I wanted that the ArmchairGeneral were however. I have this way much pleasure if we play together, we laugh and joke, and discuss serious matter also. I have the feeling I can which say what I feel really him, whereas at toblix I must to more care my words choose, so that he do not discuss my contempt. If he realised me that I only played with him for my aim skills which he this way sadly practice, but I it terrible because he is zo' n pocket shit. I hate him this way. Yes, I weet that you that also do. Good-bye my kind mother. I miss wet you to embrace! Kbedankt!"

I can assure you that in the Netherlands, we never vochtige omarmen people. Well, maybe Piratepoo.

Google image searching "vochtige omarmen" was pleasantly surprising. So many different things.

Google image searching "vochtige omarmen" was pleasantly surprising. So many different things.

My favourite result:

attachment.php?attachmentid=781&d=1327551495

post-405-13375603478831_thumb.jpg

I made it grammatically correct and searched for vochtige omarming and it gave me boobs AND also a pair of seals that might be fucking, or spooning. I'm not sure what's going on there. It's a very tiny picture.

So Poo and I finished the game last night.

:tup:

Great graphics!

Pretty smooth and stable, and even though the interface is a bit weird, getting the co-op up and running was easy.

Satisfying combat.

A lot of cheesy cut-scenes and hammy acting to ridicule and laugh at.

:tmeh:

The controls? Not so great. Even accepting that not being able to move and fire is some kind of great game design, the camera and movement controls were weird and cumbersome right until the end. I played with a mouse and keyboard, which I think came as a surprise to the game designers.

:tdown:

Some terrible boss fights where the "solution" wasn't made clear and progress wasn't being communicated, leading to us spending a lot of time repeating sequences, not knowing if we were on the right track. I still don't know how we defeated the flamethrower monster thing.

:tdown:Terrible, unforgiving QTEs.

:tup::tmeh:

:tdown:A laser satellite.

The flamethrower boss from the beginning? He was awesome and pretty easy once you figure out the routine.

I think you'd get a really different experience playing this with a controller though, it's pretty smooth then.

Not the one from the beginning that you incinerate. The 2nd, high-powered version, where you get a flamethrower. I think at one point we were fighting it for 15 minutes and neither of us were getting how to actually kill it. Blew off all his glowy tentacles, gave him the full load with the flamethrower and even then those bulbs you have to shoot only popped out occasionally.

The final battle with Wesker in the volcano was annoying. It's the QTE parts and rigid order of events you have to complete in order to get Chris and Sheva back together again... I had to jam F to the point where my arm got sore. I seriously wanted to punch whoever designed it that way.

Speaking of punching, Chris punching a boulder is still the best part of the game.