Sign in to follow this  
syntheticgerbil

Gunstringer

I thought I'd just go ahead and start this thread before I ramble too much in recently completed.

I really enjoyed Gunstringer for the most part. It's awkward and over the top cheesy fun. The sets are very imaginative and the humor is very off color. The shooting mechanics feel very smooth and are forgiving. There's a lot of variety crammed into such a short game though, it doesn't get tired. Somewhat different styles of play come in over the course of the stages.

The major problems I had with the Kinect mechanics is that a lot of the game requires precision movement side to side, making the parts where you dodge stuff using your left hand very finicky. The lifting of the hand to jump also seems to only read about half the time. Maybe I just don't have enough lights in my living room? The idea behind the left handed movement is really cool though, as you control the marionette from the handle up top making it not feel so tacked on.

As said, I got this game for free, so I think the biggest fault is that the game is basically a somewhat pumped up downloadable title sold as a full blown game in box for $40 luring consumers into thinking it's larger. That's not exactly a bargain, but I think Microsoft is starving for good Kinect game and so this is part of the reason they recently bought Twisted Pixel as well.

I had very similar thoughts. I like the company, like the humor and character of the game, but the precise requirements with the boss battles (not to mention the achievements) ruined it for me. That and the constant firing of my right hand made my elbow sore. I wish it wasn't a kinect game.

My main takeaway from what i've seen of Gunstringer is that the packed-in FMV mini-game looks incredible.

Not to be utterly dismissive of the game itself, it looks like a surprisingly rad rail shooter.

It is a thing i will probably play when i eventually feel compelled to get a Kinect. (Probably for Steel Battalion 2, because i think giant robots are pretty cool.)

I need to sit down (or stand!) and give this game some attention then!

I only got it as it was free with the Kinect and had a code for Fruit Ninja included with it.

I've enjoyed all other Twisted Pixel games so I'll give it a go.