Sign in to follow this  
Gwardinen

Hero Academy

So I can't remember if I found out about it here or elsewhere but a little while ago I was made aware of a turn-based asynchronous multiplayer strategy game for iOS called Hero Academy. Penny Arcade then reminded me yesterday that it is actually out worldwide now, so I have downloaded it.

It seems decent so far, and would probably be more fun with people I know or at least have heard complaining about things on the internet. It's freemium so I encourage others to give it a try also. If you wish to play me my username is Gwardinen.

My name ... is toblix. Seems like a fun thing, though I don't know what the hell I'm doing. What's the taunt thing?

Ending a turn with a taunt seems to just mean that your guys do a little dance at the end of your turn. You start with ten uses of it and can buy more. Possibly the weirdest freemium addon I've ever seen.

I am Leeuwenhart and I will be the guy that you squish pathetically under your well-trained strategy boots.

LET US SHARE TACTICS.

From a single battle I have gleaned the following gems of strata:

- Put a buffed-up knight on the shield tile in the middle of the arena. Buffed up knights are hard to get down.

- This one is obvious: support your dudes. Mages are really powerful when they're backed by a healer or archer.

- Armor your dudes up!

- Get as much damage in on the enemy crystal. Sometimes you will want to take out a nasty enemy dude, but the crystal should be your focus. Troops will replenish, the crystal will not.

Have any over-powered tactics arisen yet?

Update to the newest client and there's a tactics video inside that's somewhat decent (should be on youtube too). Also, use the help dialogue to find out exactly what everything does and you should be ramped up fairly quickly.

In general my biggest tip is to play through a few scenarios before you pick the final turn you'll submit.

I may have to stop playing this game, it's way too exciting. My excitement threshold is very low, even asynchronous strategy games one notch above Scrabble get to me. I start seeing tiles and moves in my sleep. Not good.

I'm still playing my turns as often as they show up, I like this game a lot.

illeria and I have played enough games that you can see clearly there's a good amount of balance of luck and skill. Enough luck so that I never feel any hesitation playing a rematch against someone that has destroyed me, or someone I've dominated. Enough skill that my Russian co-worker seemed to grasp the tactics in his first game and has never given up an easy win.

Dwarves seem a bit overpowered to me right now. The grenadier does crazy damage, at range, and it splashes, and you have 3 of them.

Gwardinen and I are doing a lot of matches and he's playing with Dwarves right now. Our pace is really relaxed though, at most two turns a day, so we haven't gotten a lot of Dwarf-time under our belts yet :)

WISE FWOM YOUR GWAVE!

So, we should play more Hero Academy. Don't you agree, Thumbs? Who's with me?

Oh, I'm HPopper in-game, natch.