Sno

It could work. Ubisoft's DRM prevented me from pirating their games for the past 3 years.

Also, I didn't buy a single Ubisoft game in the same time.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that has more to do with the latter part (your not giving a crap about them) than the former (their attempts to stop pirating). It took me all of one Google search to ascertain that actually, all recent Ubisoft games are totally piratable (is that a word?). This doesn't surprise me at all, and I often use the complete ineffectiveness of the vast majority of DRM systems as yet another reason for them being a bad idea.

It actually makes them even more annoying, because Ubisoft is only making things more difficult for its paying customers with its DRM. The ease of pirating is almost identical.

Diablo... there are more reasons for the online only thing, but that doesn't necessarily make them better reasons. I'm trying to limit the amount of typing I do at the moment so I won't go into it right now, but you can consider me in the "conflicted" camp regarding that stuff.

If I ran a gaming site, I would go so far as to stop covering Diablo III or make every Diablo III story about its horrible digital rights management: "Here's some screenshots of a game you'll get banned trying to play with spotty Wifi!"

Get mad, people! Push back!

I would lay out the facts once and let my readers decide.

NextBox?

If only...

96.238_01_d02.jpg

ELT200708090254134258722.JPG

I'm probably most excited for Silent Hill Downpour because I'm an irrational person. But I can't resist. Here's hoping it's AT LEAST better than Silent Hill 4.

Dear Boris,

What did you think of Silent Hill 5: Homecoming? Or, officially it was already 6? I don't follow their irrational numbering. In any case, I played it in 2010 and thought it was pretty awful. Frankly, I have little hope that Downpour will be better. It's the same scenario: outsourcing the franchise to another developer. Look, only Team Silent can pull off that special brand of unpredictable, untransmutable insanity that makes a Silent Hill game great. Homecoming was a product of artifice, a game that tried to be Silent Hill but felt like counterfeit at every step of the way.

Therefor, I'm first buying the Silent Hill HD collection in March to get that classic, awesome vibe.

Is that the Wii title? I plan on playing that one, it's supposed to be really good. Wanna scoop it up in the bargain bin somewhere.

Man, I still have that sitting on my shelf from buying it at the beginning of last year. I need to get into that some time.

Silent Hill Downpour

You got your Heavy Rain in my Silent Hill. No you got your Silent Hill in my...wait a minute!

Is that the Wii title? I plan on playing that one, it's supposed to be really good. Wanna scoop it up in the bargain bin somewhere.
Man, I still have that sitting on my shelf from buying it at the beginning of last year. I need to get into that some time.

I can't come at it from the angle of being somebody who has played a lot of the Silent Hill games, but i really like Shattered Memories, it does a lot of really bold stuff that i admire it for. (I think the story is quite good too.) It kind of fails at being a horror game though, simply because it ends up being so easy to parse the parts of the game where you are in danger from the parts of the game where you aren't. It's super atmospheric throughout, but just not scary at all. For the best experience, i'd say go into it expecting a cool adventure game rather than a survival horror experience.

Silent Hill is a series i've always kind of wanted to try and get into, but i've never been too sure how to approach it, it seems like the fans hate every game in the series except the second one.

I'm thinking i might get the HD collection that is due out in a couple months or so, see how that goes.

Silent Hill is a series i've always kind of wanted to try and get into, but i've never been too sure how to approach it, it seems like the fans hate every game in the series except the second one.

Silent Hill 3 is excellent, my first entry into the series and probably for that reason my favourite. I haven't myself played the second though, so I look forward to doing that.

I'd love to play an updated version of the first Silent Hill. They didn't put it in the HD remake because as a PS1 game it would've needed too much of an overhaul. There is a PSP version though, I believe. They could've put that in, but I'm not complaining. 2 & 3 are generally seen as the best entries in the series and the set will be available for a very modest price (30 Euros). I'm happy they're doing this in the first place.

I honestly thought this game was still over a year away, but its release date is indeed "sometime in 2012".

This is a "wait and see" title for me. The puzzles demonstrated so far are not at all interesting.

If someone else was working on it, I would be pretty ambivalent. Blow's reality distortion field (The Blowfield™) makes me weirdly giddy with anticipation, though.

This year looks a little sparse for my tastes, I don't really care for Mass Effect, Diablo or Borderlands. I just am waiting to see how Prey 2 and Max Payne 3 turn out. I feel like one of those will be much better then the other (Max Payne looks pretty bad...). Bioshock Infinite looks like it is going to be great, not worried about that one.

Lastly I want to try DOTA 2, having never played a DOTA game I hope I enjoy it, it was certainly fun to watch The International. And I want to play Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, VALVe said the beta was coming after new years, but you know.... VALVe.

And I want to play Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, VALVe said the beta was coming after new years, but you know.... VALVe.

Some of the Global Offensive versions of classic maps, like Dust, have appeared in Counter-Strike Source. They look great, but man are they bleak.

Dear Boris,

What did you think of Silent Hill 5: Homecoming? Or, officially it was already 6? I don't follow their irrational numbering. In any case, I played it in 2010 and thought it was pretty awful. Frankly, I have little hope that Downpour will be better. It's the same scenario: outsourcing the franchise to another developer. Look, only Team Silent can pull off that special brand of unpredictable, untransmutable insanity that makes a Silent Hill game great. Homecoming was a product of artifice, a game that tried to be Silent Hill but felt like counterfeit at every step of the way.

Therefor, I'm first buying the Silent Hill HD collection in March to get that classic, awesome vibe.

Dear Rodi,

I have to admit, I really enjoyed Homecoming. Not as big a fan of the story, I never am with cult centric Silent Hills, but I found the gameplay appealing. I found that it had just enough of that classic SH vibe that all the new things it tried and failed at didn't alienate me.

But I'll admit it's one of the weaker entries. Although I'd put it above 4 and Shattered Memories.

SM was a fine game, but it had massive framerate issues and as previously mentioned in this thread it's scares wore off once you realized that the game defined moments of danger and safety with such a clear line.

Homecoming's biggest fault was relying on combat, but at least you never felt outright safe.

Hugs and kisses,

Boris

Beyond Good and Evil 2 and The Last Guardian... :shifty:

Mass Effect 3 I will almost definitely buy at some point. I'm not as sure about other 2012 titles yet. The Witness may be interesting, and Bioshock Infinite has a chance to become the first game in the series that I will actually play.

Beyond Good and Evil 2 and The Last Guardian... :shifty:

Yeah, I'm on board for those if they show up, but I'm guessing the reason for the :shifty: is that it's exceedingly doubtful they will.

The first one almost definitely will not be released in 2012. In fact, it was mentioned somewhere that Beyond Good and Evil 2 will be released on next (next) generation consoles, which is a crazy statement to make.

It's much more reasonable to expect The Last Guardian to be released in 2012, but the news surrounding the game of late have not been too promising.