Sno

So what is everybody looking forward to in 2012?

Personally, i am the most excited about Armored Core 5.

From is blending a lot of their online factional meta-game know-how from Chromehounds with the Armored Core game mechanics, and everything i've heard about it makes me more and more excited.

Squads of players fortifying and defending territory while organizing sieges on others in team battles where each side has a player in a commander role controlling AI forces, issuing orders, and managing radar.

The mechlab is supposed to have something like five hundred parts, with players using profits earned from battles to build up their stock of parts and customize their mechs.

The solo game is apparently going to be fairly sizable too, allegedly with big hour-long missions. (Following video is a small sample of that solo game.)

kLQr2i0IKsI

I feel like it's inevitable that the game will be coldly received though. I have no faith it will find a big audience in the west, it's just been the story with all of From's mech games. These games are way, way more complex than they appear, there can be huge learning curves. A lot of bad first experiences, people struggling with control because they've improperly tuned their machine, stuff like that. (Man, and I remember seeing so many Chromehounds reviews that were written based entirely on the single-player tutorials.)

I always really want to dig into games like these, but invariably I don't have the time and then it's just a big waste. These games are super-niche, but for the people that do get into them, they're great.

What I'm looking forward to is really standard: Mass Effect 3, Catherine (European release), Phoenix Wright vs Professor Layton and Diablo 3.

Oh and the big reveal on E3 what the future for the Xbox brand will be! I have no real intel to assume this, but my gut tells me this is the year they'll announce the new generation. It feels right, and Microsoft have a lot to make up for in terms of F-bomb-inducing E3 presentations. Well, there were F-bombs, but not for the right reasons.

RPS had a nice overview of PC games in 2012: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/01/04/an-exciting-list-of-pc-games-for-2012/

Anyway.. me would be most interested in: Mass Effect 3

Interesting to see how the story concludes. Despite keeping my expectations low, I fear the worst.

Prey 2, Bioshock Infinite, X-Com, Syndicate, and Borderlands 2

I would say it's almost a sure thing we'll see the next x-box at E3 this year, and then in stores by the end of 2013, i cannot imagine a world where this generation drags on beyond that.

Shit, though, sales keep going up for Microsoft, it's crazy.

The Witness

Dead State

Thief: The Darkness inside the Shadows: The Fourth One

These would probably be enough for me for 2012, considering my big collection of purchased but unplayed games.

But there's also

Metro: Last Light

STALKER 2 (probably won't happen, at least in 2012)

Risen 2

Overgrowth

Dishonored

SpyParty

Hitman Absolution

Monaco

Kenshi

GTA V (2012?)

Diablo 3

BioShock Infinite

Crusader Kings 2

Far Cry 3

.. and more. These were probably in order of excitingness

Of the above list (because I'm oblivious to everything else) I have my eye on Far Cry 3, Hitman, and Grand Theft Auto 5. I'm also hoping for extensive Battlefield 3 DLC, and the Alan Wake mini-sequel looks quite attractive.

Other than that I can't think of anything else I'm looking forward to. ;(

I would say it's almost a sure thing we'll see the next x-box at E3 this year, and then in stores by the end of 2013, i cannot imagine a world where this generation drags on beyond that.

Shit, though, sales keep going up for Microsoft, it's crazy.

I really doubt 2012 will be the year of the third Xbox, I have one reason for this: Halo 4. This is also the game I'm looking forward to the most this year.

What's the word on Halo 4? Is it expected to be good even though Bungie has stepped out of the picture or what? Who's actually making it?

I just remembered RollerCoaster Tycoon 3D is coming out this year. I can't believe that after almost a decade of anticipation the platform the next sequel is for is the 3DS. I'm not hating on the console, but holy shit do I want a RollerCoaster Tycoon game built on modern technology on my TV.

All I can say is I hope it does well so they do a proper PC or PlayStation Move version. :fart:

What's the word on Halo 4? Is it expected to be good even though Bungie has stepped out of the picture or what? Who's actually making it?

I just remembered RollerCoaster Tycoon 3D is coming out this year. I can't believe that after almost a decade of anticipation the platform the next sequel is for is the 3DS. I'm not hating on the console, but holy shit do I want a RollerCoaster Tycoon game built on modern technology on my TV.

All I can say is I hope it does well so they do a proper PC or PlayStation Move version. :fart:

A lot of the guys who worked on the Halo series joined 343 to work on 4. So far the work they have done has fixed a lot of the problems with Halo Reach's multiplayer, having decreased the amount of bloom in versus by 30% and changing how armour lock works. It should also mark the return of the BR to the series, along with the possible removal of armor abilities.

If the multiplayer is anything close to Halo 3 then I'm going to be over the moon.

SpyParty

Fucking SpyParty, man. Been waiting for that "beta" since JUNE.

I want to play SpyParty. ;(

I think it's in good hands at 343, Microsoft did some head hunting for a lot of very talented people from a lot of very respected studios to build that team, there's even a handful of hold-overs from Bungie.

I'm not completely without worry, but i think it's probably fine.

I'm terrified of Mass Effect 3, because each time I hear something new about it, it's something stupid.

I always like the Bioshock games way more in theory than practice - I just don't find the shooting to be all that enjoyable. Maybe Infinite will be different.

The only game I'm genuinely excited for is Torchlight II, but I am looking forward to The Witness, Guild Wars II, and the inevitable Skyrim DLC.

Metro: Last Light

STALKER 2 (probably won't happen, at least in 2012)

SpyParty

GTA V (2012?)

BioShock Infinite

Far Cry 3

I seem to remember something about the S.T.A.L.K.E.R devs shutting down.

I'm also hoping for extensive Battlefield 3 DLC...

Yes.

Risen 2

Overgrowth

Dishonored

SpyParty

Monaco

Kenshi

Crusader Kings 2

Yeeeeeesssss.

I am reserving optimism about Mass Effect 3, but will get it anyways just to complete the story.

If Journey, The Witness, & Torchlight 2 come out in 2012, I'm onboard without hesitation.

Interest in a lot of others, but contingent on reviews/impressions.

The only game I'm interested in learning more about is Dishonored.

Other games on my list for 2012:

• Finish Metroid Prime
  • Sam & Max Season 2
  • A replay of Fallout: New Vegas?
  • Maybe Skyrim?
  • Maybe Mass Effect 3?
  • Maybe Skyward Sword?

I have to stop buying games. It took me months to play Fallout: New Vegas, but now it's working out the same way to play Metroid Prime. Beating Portal 2 in two weeks now feels like a speedrun to me.

I'm probably most excited for Silent Hill Downpour because I'm an irrational person. But I can't resist. Here's hoping it's AT LEAST better than Silent Hill 4.

And of course, Diablo III.

I will probably pass on Diablo 3 due to ubisoft like always-on DRM.

I will probably pass on Diablo 3 due to ubisoft like always-on DRM.

If I ran a gaming site, I would go so far as to stop covering Diablo III or make every Diablo III story about its horrible digital rights management: "Here's some screenshots of a game you'll get banned trying to play with spotty Wifi!"

Get mad, people! Push back!

I'm sure their always-on DRM will prevent Diablo 3 from being pirated.

It could work. Ubisoft's DRM prevented me from pirating their games for the past 3 years.

Also, I didn't buy a single Ubisoft game in the same time.