Scrobbs

PS Vita

The control is a little weird until you notice that boost is also mapped to the triggers. It's sort of like lunar lander with guns, but a lot of guns.

I Just progressed out of normal mode, man does it turn up the heat! Bullets and planes and boats and blimps all over the place.

Really fun! The number of combinations to make you rauser along with chasing your high score is what the game is about. If you like trying out different things and beating a ugh score it's going to be for you.

I believe it's 125 different combinations, with a random option that is fun to leave on and try to find out what works best.

Hey guys,

I just bought a Vita this week, with Dangan Ronpa, Persona 4 Golden, Tearaway, and Rayman Legends. Any tips for other good games?

I've only played Dangan Ronpa so far, and am really enjoying it. I've just finished Chapter 2, and seem to have a knack for befriending people who are either murderers or victims... oops!

You definitely got some of the greatest hits. There are a ton of multiplatform games that play well on the platform - Spelunky, Hotline Miami, Muramasa Rebirth, Sonic & All-Star Racing Transformed, Dragon's Crown, Fez, Steamworld Dig, The Swapper. Killzone Mercenary is good if you want to try out a shooter on the platform, though it's not revolutionary. Gravity Rush is another good one, kind of an action platformer thing. Sound Shapes is a great music platformer with a ton of style. Uncharted: Golden Abyss is a good showpiece game and nice if you like Uncharted, though the controls get tiring and those types of games aren't horribly well suited to the platform.

Disgaea 3 or 4!

I'm really tempted to buy a Slim but unfortunately the regular Vita gave me hand cramp and I have issues with my hands that don't really need exacerbating as it is. Has anyone played both and noticed a difference?

If you liked Dangan Ronpa, you might like to try the sequel, the Corpse Party series and Sweet Fusion. Should I mention any PSP Vita or PSOne classics that are good? Do you like JRPGs? I can't really say more without knowing your taste or else the list will be too big.

I haven't played a Slim, but I heard the Slim has an IPS screen instead of an OLED one.

Olli Olli 2 is a great little gem. My vita is basically a rogue like and jrpg machine. Rogue legacy, spelunky, binding of Isaac. I'm intending to pick up Ye Memories of Celceta and all the metal gear solid games too as soon as they come on sale.

Vita is an underrated piece of hardware, I get a hell of a lot of use out of it.

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys, very useful. I head good things previously  about The Swapper and Sound Shapes, and downloaded those. Getting money into the wallet was a real pain in the arse, since it wouldn't save the 3 digit security number for my card; I ended up getting a digital PS network card.

If you liked Dangan Ronpa, you might like to try the sequel, the Corpse Party series and Sweet Fusion. Should I mention any PSP Vita or PSOne classics that are good? Do you like JRPGs? I can't really say more without knowing your taste or else the list will be too big.

I haven't played a Slim, but I heard the Slim has an IPS screen instead of an OLED one.

I totally missed the PSP, and classic recommendations would be great too. It turns out that I apparently like visual novels, and like RPGs, puzzly games and music games. I'm not too keen on sports games or FPS. I've not played too many roguelikes on PC (I have spelunky and Rogue Legacy on steam), but might get into them with a handheld. 

I see that there's a whole bunch of Final Fantasy games in the classics section. I liked FF7, FF8, and FF10; it looks like pretty much all of them, so is there a consensus on which ones are better?

The slim does have a different screen, but unless I saw an original, I'm not sure I'd be able to appreciate the difference.

Should I buy a Vita if I would only use it to play The Misadventures of Tron Bonne?

You could just buy a cheap PSP or PSPGo if that's all you want.

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys, very useful. I head good things previously  about The Swapper and Sound Shapes, and downloaded those. Getting money into the wallet was a real pain in the arse, since it wouldn't save the 3 digit security number for my card; I ended up getting a digital PS network card.

I totally missed the PSP, and classic recommendations would be great too. It turns out that I apparently like visual novels, and like RPGs, puzzly games and music games. I'm not too keen on sports games or FPS. I've not played too many roguelikes on PC (I have spelunky and Rogue Legacy on steam), but might get into them with a handheld. 

I see that there's a whole bunch of Final Fantasy games in the classics section. I liked FF7, FF8, and FF10; it looks like pretty much all of them, so is there a consensus on which ones are better?

The slim does have a different screen, but unless I saw an original, I'm not sure I'd be able to appreciate the difference.

Well, if those are you favorite genres, you kinda lucked out with the Vita. I think I already mentioned all the VNs on VITA and PSP, it whould be getting Steins;Gate and Hatoful Boyfriend soon?

Sorcery Saga is a roguelike dungeon crawler that I enjoy, I'm not sure if the Vita has anymore that aren't on Steam.

You can play almost every Final Fantasy game on the Vita, many were released on PSP and now FF X is HD on Vita? I really enjoyed the older FF I-VI games.

I'd recommend the Y's series that's on Vita and PSP if you haven't gotten them on Steam yet. The original Y's game is a bit hard to swallow though.

Oh, the Vita has the Hastune Miku games and the upcoming Persona dancing game since you like rhythm games.

The PSP has a ton of retro collections and I think the Vita has many of the modern PS3 ones (Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, Sly Racoon and Metal Gear). The PSone Classics are playable on PS3 too, but they look better on a Vita too me.

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys! I have loaded up my vita with a whole load of stuff, and will refer back to this thread when I'm looking for something new. 

I finished Danganronpa, and really enjoyed it! I have the sequel in the mail. I also got FF X/X-II (I borrowed X but had to give it back before I finished it, so thought I'd start my FF Fest there), the Ratchet & Clank collection, Zero Escape, the loony Frobisher Says, and an old personal favourte in Um Jammer Lammy. Um Jammer Lammy doesn't look fantastic, being stuck in 4:3, but seems to be as fun and brutal with the timing as I remember it

I don't want to hype it up too much or anything but I genuinely believe that Virtue's Last Reward is the best game that isn't called Dark Souls or Resident Evil 4.

The Dangranronpa games are my absolute favorite games of last year.  2 is even better than 1!

Zero Escape: VLR is fantastic too, but it kinda requires you to have played 999 on the DS to get the most out of it.

I really loved Gravity Rush.  Most of the movement feels really fantastic and the world is quirky, fun, and funny.

Muramasa Rebirth was a lot of fun.  I never played it on Wii.

You've already got Persona 4 and Tearaway, both fantastic picks.  

I use my vita for replaying lots of PSone stuff, and some psp stuff too.

Oh, the Vita has the Hastune Miku games and the upcoming Persona dancing game since you like rhythm games.

Since I'm only vaguely aware of Hatsune Miku as a "personality", what are the games like? Any interesting mechanics, any specific edition with standout music? 

The Dangranronpa games are my absolute favorite games of last year.  2 is even better than 1!

Zero Escape: VLR is fantastic too, but it kinda requires you to have played 999 on the DS to get the most out of it.

I really loved Gravity Rush.  Most of the movement feels really fantastic and the world is quirky, fun, and funny.

Muramasa Rebirth was a lot of fun.  I never played it on Wii.

You've already got Persona 4 and Tearaway, both fantastic picks.  

I use my vita for replaying lots of PSone stuff, and some psp stuff too.

Heh, I've just started Persona 4, sneaking in  a bit of time here and there at work... I'm VERY glad of the ability to stop immediately, and pick up immediately where I left off; it sure beats painful searches for save points! It looks intriguing and well presented, but I've not played much yet.

Since I'm only vaguely aware of Hatsune Miku as a "personality", what are the games like? Any interesting mechanics, any specific edition with standout music? 

Unfortunately, I haven't tried the one Hatsune Miku I have yet, I not a rhythm game expert, but I can try it out if you want to know more about it?

I'm thinking I might try the Hatsune Miku game on vita so I can at least get decent at the genre before Persona 4 Dancing All Night comes out.  I'm such a sucker for that franchise.

So I'm going to assume that the Vita Miku game is going to be a very similar beast to the PSP & PS3 games, all of which I have played.

There are 2 parts to these games, the rhythm game part and the 'home' part. Each of which are their own separate thing, and don't really mix.

So the music is a mix of rock, pop, and electro. Some songs are clearly better than others. Some have that super annoying thing of speaking way too quick to understand anything, but they're the minority. Generally I enjoyed them all, bar a few. If you don't like the synth voice of Miku and her Voca companions, you're not going to enjoy this.

The game part is actually quite an enjoyable rhythm game. the outline of one of the 4 face button symbols appear on the screen, then the symbol flies in from a side, you press the appropriate symbol when they are over each other, and get a rating depending on accuracy. You can also use the directional arrows as well, which is needed for the big arrows, where you have to press both the appropriate directional arrow and face button at the same time.

There's also a rockband-esq 'hold' note to add into the mix.

Basically dance dance revolution, but the symbols are all over the screen. It's pretty good fun, but the screen can become quite cluttered with symbols flying everywhere, which can be disorientating.

I think the added functionality for the miku games on the vita is that you have to tap the back for the star symbols. This is replaced with L/R on the PS3.

Finishing songs gives you points, based on your performance. Points can be spent on alt costumes and stuff for the 'house'

The 'house' is the slightly creepy part, whereby you have your favourite diva, which you can make happy by giving her presents, filling her house with tat, and (in the ps3 version at least) stroking her hair.

This wasn't such a huge feature in the PSP games, but the PS3 version has that loaded up when you start, and it was a tad weird for me.

My favourite one so far was the second one on the PSP. It had the best songs, and wasn't so hung up about the home side, and it introduced duets, which was really cool. Saying that, the first PS3 one has my favourite miku song on.

Finally, as a comparison, P4:DAN is more similar to an arcade game in japan than Miku, which is like a reverse gitaroo man.. You won't need to train on Miku at all, unless you just want an excuse to buy a miku game. In which case, go ahead! You'll probably enjoy it! (providing you have any interest in miku, that is).

The rhythm sections really appeal to me.  And I am curious about Miku from an academic sense.  The Dominos pizza ads with Hatsune Miku are incredible.  I think I want to train with a Project Diva game on the vita because--as I understand it--on PS3 there would be some input lag where there wouldn't be any on the vita.  So while it probably won't be a 1:1 skill transference, I think it would be valuable training.

The rhythm sections really appeal to me.  And I am curious about Miku from an academic sense.  The Dominos pizza ads with Hatsune Miku are incredible.

Yeah, I'm bizarrely fascinated by Hatsune Miku in general, but that's mostly because I think it's the first step in Japan realizing the Macross-future it's been waiting for.

Project Diva sounds like it has pretty standard rhythm game mechanics, and I do enjoy weird creepy digital hair-combing. I only got a Vita recently, so I'm still plowing through P4G and a backlog of free PS+ games, so it'll be a while before I need anything else.

The best PS+ game I got on Vita was Muramasa Rebirth. Such a fun game. Shame Dragon's Crown didn't really grab me (I couldn't get used to the 2.5D movement).

Are there any essential PSP (s)RPGs? I tried Tactics Ogre, but it was weird and I gave up fast. 

Valkyria Chronicles 2, Metal Gear Acid 1/2 (if that counts), Disgaea series.

The best PS+ game I got on Vita was Muramasa Rebirth. Such a fun game.

YES!

I really feel like it's the most successful beat-em-up since the 16-bit/arcade era.  And it's just SO PRETTY.

The rhythm sections really appeal to me.  And I am curious about Miku from an academic sense.  The Dominos pizza ads with Hatsune Miku are incredible.  I think I want to train with a Project Diva game on the vita because--as I understand it--on PS3 there would be some input lag where there wouldn't be any on the vita.  So while it probably won't be a 1:1 skill transference, I think it would be valuable training.

Fair enough. I don't think that there's going to be much academic knowledge to gleam off of the games though. Most of the tropes are purely community based, and usually come from a combination of the music videos and lyrics, which are loosely mentioned in the visuals of the song, but are otherwise lost, unless you know Japanese.

Hatsune Miku is definitely a really interesting cultural phenomenon which is constantly evolving, yet with no central repository that I know of which has good reporting on it.

And yeah, there was input lag, which was awfully fixed in the first ps3 game by moving a slider. I haven't played 2 yet on the PS3, but I hope they've fixed that. The problem with the PSP games, however, was that for some of the more intense songs, it felt like you were tapping the buttons, but registering as a long note, so constantly missing. Maybe it was just that one insanely hard song.

I do really like the miku games, but then again I was a big fan before the games came out. I'm just a bit worried as to how much enjoyment you'll get out of it without knowing anything about them.

Are there any essential PSP (s)RPGs? I tried Tactics Ogre, but it was weird and I gave up fast. 

Dissidia is really, really good. Don't play 1, just go stratigt to 2. Which is cleverly called 012 Duo Decim. Also LocoRoco 1 & 2 are worth a look, as well as patapon. Although they're not RPGs.

Cecking in for a Vita update, and my time has been heavily visal novelly / rpg-ish so far!

I've completed Danganronpa 1 and 2, and really enjoyed them. They have strong and consistent stories, albeit very odd, memorable characters, and deceptively good sound design.  

I've also been playing Zero Escape: virtue's Last reward, and been having fun with that too. This is more puzzly than Danganronpa, and has more meaningful choices to be made; as a result, the game includes a narrative map of all of the branches, allowing you to retrace your steps to wherever. I've died once, and been trapped forever. In my current playthrough, I thought I was doing really well, but there are only 3 of us left! I'm happy to try different sets of puzzle rooms in various branches, but I'm not sure I like the idea of doing the same puzzle multiple times.

I've made a fair amount of progress in Persona 4; I think I've rescued 4 people now. I've not played it in a while, but I think it will be easy to go back to.