Jake

New Idle Thumbs Website

As you may have noticed (or will notice once the DNS update propagates), there's a new www.idlethumbs.net in town!

We got tired of looking at the old site sit there and stagnate -- a blog which was never updated, no comprehensive information about the podcast, its history or its current state -- so over the last couple of weeks we ripped it all apart and built an all encompassing podcast-focused archive site in its place. Fans of the podcast most commonly tell new listeners to start from the beginning, so we reformatted things to put episode 1 at the top of the archive and let people work their way down from there.

One change you guys won't notice is that we've also completely re-done everything under the hood. Yes, though invisible to you, Idle Thumbs is powered by an all new and vastly improved content management system. Huge thanks as always to Doug Tabacco for a ton of amazing web backend work, and thanks also to Mike Watson for helping code up the frontend. As to why we'd fully rip out the underlying backend just to build an archive site... who knows?

If you guys see anything busted or weird, please post about it here. Otherwise, enjoy our new home!

Thanks,

Jake, Chris, Sean, Doug, and Mike

Edited by Jake

As to why we'd fully rip out the underlying backend just to build an archive site... who knows?

Because it's not just an archive site, it's heralding a glorious future return. Stop teasing and blast some pod in our faces.

edit: also, got super excited when I saw the rss feed was updated, but it's just reblasting all the old stuff :hmph:

If you guys see anything busted or weird, please post about it here. Otherwise, enjoy our new home!

Link to the new podcast is missing.

Edit:

<div class="horsebag" id="header">

:clap:

Edited by Nappi

I burst out of the restroom carrying my laptop (oh come on you know you do it too) and yelled "NEW THUMBS" at shammack, then had to retract my yell as it was just Gatling-Gunsby re-downloading.

So, er, y'all need a new episode so I can recover from this shame.

I burst out of the restroom carrying my laptop (oh come on you know you do it too) and yelled "NEW THUMBS" at shammack, then had to retract my yell as it was just Gatling-Gunsby re-downloading.

So, er, y'all need a new episode so I can recover from this shame.

Sorry about that. I fixed a duplicate GUID in the feed :(

click the names in the about page

I am clicking furiously on "Jeff Goldblum" and nothing is happening.

The nickname clicky-bit is inspired. Particularly Nick's* and Doug's.

I reflexively clicked on the guest names and was disappointed to find no hilarious** alternate names.

I generally try not to get excited about things that haven't even been confirmed yet, but the recent Idle Thumbs activity is making that difficult.

* Fact: Nick has the best sex life.

** (libelous)

Looks great! :tup:

Also, is it me or are the forums faster now?

Hopefully! New dedicated hardware (no more sharing with Adventure Gamers) and new server stack (nginx/php-fpm and the database is all InnoDB now.

Excellent. It seems kind of sad seeing it all described with 'was' and such, but hey that's life. ;(

Also, the new forum speed is nice. However that damn edit button's AJAX still doesn't work!

Excellent. It seems kind of sad seeing it all described with 'was' and such, but hey that's life. ;(

Also, the new forum speed is nice. However that damn edit button's AJAX still doesn't work!

Forum is still the same old forum for now. At least it's faster!

Wow, everything on the site loads way faster than I remember. And the front image is great. Kudos to everyone who worked on the site. For real.

Also crossing my fingers for a new series of podcasts, as ever.

Great stuff, Jake, Chris, Sean, Doug and Mike! The front page image is beautiful.

I like the new site! It came to the point where I will now forever associate the name of Greg Kasavin with the polygon creature from the header that was on there for a cool year or so.