Sign in to follow this  
Thyroid

Paths of Exile (free game)

Earlier today I discovered Paths of Exile, a free online aRPG that is currently in closed beta.

Guys, it looks

. Yes, it looks like Diablo with some added prettiness, but there's something about it. Maybe it's because it's going for $0.00 and I had low expectations, but I can't help but be impressed with the gameplay videos.

I appreciate the diverse classes. If my reading of the FAQ is correct, you can all run out into the world together to find species to joyfully murder. It could help dull the repetition that is inherently present in the current incarnation of aRPGs.

It isn't hard on the eyes either. The outdoor sunny areas actually look neat.

Would you play this? For some reason I'm really excited about it.

(This would be the third aRPG-related thread I've created in under a year - four if you count Bastion - and ah hey, I guess I love the genre.)

I'm actually in the beta and where Diablo had at least a semblence of a story going on, I actually have no idea what I'm doing and why. So far the only motivation to play is to level and find better equipment. But it plays quite well and the skills I have so far are fun to use AND their passive skill tree is joyous!!

Looks cool, I'd give it a shot since I love Diablo.

In the last few months my excitement for Diablo 3 has dropped for whatever reason (probably from the little things I heard from beta didn't sound appealing) so I'd love something to take its place.

Ideally I want a more diablo style dark souls, but I'll give a traditional aRpg a shot too.

The words 'action RPG' and 'Free to Play' together make me nervous.

Pacing is vital in a good aRPG, that delicious trickle of novelty while you smack monsters is one of the primary reasons to play. Free games tend to profit by turning the trickle into a drip feed. The two seem entirely at odds.

Though free to play also means I will immediately try it, if people here generally like it.

I'm actually in the beta and where Diablo had at least a semblence of a story going on, I actually have no idea what I'm doing and why. So far the only motivation to play is to level and find better equipment.

There are some quests though, right? You just can't make-out how they fit into any sort of narrative?

It's more that I just don't care, I think. The quests are, click on a thing, get a thing and bring back a thing to quest giver NPC. Sometimes you also have to bring a thing to another thing. Hard to keep me interested in that.