Sign in to follow this  
Garple

New Laptop gaming question

Admittedly, very little. Any kind of 3D gaming is likely to be quite rough, though processor-dependent games might be manageable (something like Starcraft II at low settings will probably be playable at native resolution on your display). Otherwise, I'd stick with 2D indie games at the very most, though I'd recommend testing through demos whenever possible.

It might be a good idea to pick up the latest Humble Indie Bundle so you can get a feel for what it might support. That should give you a good selection (and quality) of games that require different levels of performance at an affordable price.

Definitely get the HUmble bundle - something else you might want to try, if you have a decent broadband connection, is OnLive - you can try demos without a subscription...

Definitely get the HUmble bundle - something else you might want to try, if you have a decent broadband connection, is OnLive - you can try demos without a subscription...

Ah yeah, great tip. I actually quite like OnLive and it seems like a great thing for your situation if you have a solid connection. I might suggest, however, waiting until around Christmas before you try it... they often run promotions for new customers where you can get a fairly recent game for free or near free and Christmas seems the best bet for when they'd do a new one.

Try the Half-Life 2 demo, see how that does. I was surprised to find that and Portal run well on low-to-medium settings on my Dell laptop that I got for around £300 two years ago.

Thanks a lot for the advice guys. And, yeah I know I won't be able to run too much...but I figured I'd ask so that if I see something on sale on Steam I'll have some kind of idea where how this machine would handle it. I suppose GOG would be a good option as well...I played stuff like Fallout on my last laptop. Fortunately, it seems like a lot of the PC games I'm interested in are indie releases.

Torchlight had a "netbook mode" so I'm going to guess that it'll run ok on pretty much anything. And Torchlight 2 is running off the same engine from what I understand.

Torchlight had a "netbook mode" so I'm going to guess that it'll run ok on pretty much anything. And Torchlight 2 is running off the same engine from what I understand.

Torchlight's netbook ran at 5 fps on my netbook, for what it's worth.

What is the status of the on live service after all the issues they had earlier this year? Are they planning to operate independently for the foreseeable future?