Sign in to follow this  
miffy495

Goty.cx 2011

Are you saying that eurogame thing is more than just a list of most popular/voted games?

Although that doesn't change me, as opinions of people I just "met" don't give me much material to convert it to my own little universe.

But what Joe Average things doesn't interest me at all. I cannot relate to Joe.

You get comments from readers, the ones that the Eurogamer staff were the best reflective of the game.

Your second two points seem fair enough, I just find it interesting to read abotu what people find interesting/preferred. Eurogamer moreso than the other major sites has less venemous visitors and there are often some really nice, thoughtful posts. I am disappointed that they got rid of the staff votes. I will admit that I liked those a great deal more.

I would have to give my personal Goty.cx to Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad, while pretty broken on release Tripwire has done a great job fixing most of the problems and the game is currently in a very playable state. While some may argue that the community for RO2 is dead I think it is currently one of the best online gaming communities around, the amount of communication and teamwork that will arise on the few public servers that still have regular players on them is astounding. And teamwork in online games isn’t something that happens very often but I feel that the small community supports it well because these are people you will be playing with for the foreseeable future, you don’t want to grief.

I would also give a mention to TrackMania 2 which has a very similar problem of a “dead” community, in reality it is a community of people who care about their game. And what a game it is, the driving mechanics are some of the best I have played in a game and the never ending stream of tracks provides a very addictive meta-game of playing until the end to see the next track; repeat for 4 hours.

Portal 2 is my hands down goty. Single player was awesome, and co-op was amazingly fun.

It was a good Minecraft year too, but I think I've ended up watching more of that than I have playing it. LP videos of Vech's super hostile and race for the wool maps are the best. Thumbs server was a bit empty near the end when I started playing, but still fun.

Uh so :erm:, how about that EVE Online? It wasn't technically released this year, but it did get its usual two expansions, and that's enough for me. Without playing EVE it'd be a bit hard to go into all the things that caused it to be GOTY.cx for me, but a swift summary:

- CCP (the EVE devs) completely fucks player community

- Player community goes on a rampage both in and out of game

- CCP apologizes, comes back with better goods and services and listens to the community (If only for a short while)

- The newest expansion adds a new ship type that I have been pining for for years.

- I have a lot of fun blowing up spaceships.

Everything else that people have mentioned (and things that you haven't) have all kind of balanced out for me. If I hadn't gone with this somewhat off-the-wall pick, mine would probably be either Skyrim or Lord of the Rings: War in the North. But that would take me hours of evaluating and boring cons and pros work, so I just went with this. Though I do honestly mean it.

Nicely done, Rodi! That was an enjoyable little read :tup:

One thing I can say for sure, on my quest to discover my own GOTY2011, is that LA Noire was easily the biggest gaming disappointment of the year for me.

Thanks! I hadn't read the rest of the topic when I wrote it, so I was expecting everyone to go apeshit over their games with cool eulogies. But then it turned out it was just Miffy and me, and the rest of you are lazy bums.

of 2011 games I only played Fable III and L.A. Noir...so it has to be L.A. Noir...it's an adventure game with a huge budget...in 2011!

of 2011 games I only played Fable III and L.A. Noir...so it has to be L.A. Noir...it's an adventure game with a huge budget...in 2011!

I thought Fable III was 2010... maybe the PC version was 2011? Still, L.A. Noire practically has it by default over that other piece of garbage.

I haven't devised my own GotY list or pick (and there's not a lot for me to work with) but Gamasutra has their own list made! Specifically targeting indie games. Here's the short of it:

10. Atom Zombie Smasher (Blendo Games) [Windows/Mac/Linux, paid]

9. Dig-N-Rig (DigiPen) [Windows, freeware]

8. Jamestown: Legend of the Lost Colony (Final Form Games) [Windows/Mac/Linux, paid]

7. Bastion (Supergiant Games) [Windows/Xbox Live, paid]

6. Dungeons of Dredmor (Gaslamp Games) [Windows/Mac/Linux, paid]

5. Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP (Superbrothers, Capybara Games) [iOS, paid]

4. Frozen Synapse (Mode 7) [Windows/Mac/Linux (iPad soon), paid]

3. Terraria ( Re-Logic) [Windows, paid]

2. The Binding of Isaac (Edmund McMillen and Florian Himsl) [Windows/Mac/Linux, paid]

1. SpaceChem (Zachtronics Industries) [Windows/Mac/Linux/iPad, paid]

They've got some honorable mentions in the article there. I kinda want to fault them for having Minecraft in that list, but they at least acknowledge it was already in their list last year.

Thanks! I hadn't read the rest of the topic when I wrote it, so I was expecting everyone to go apeshit over their games with cool eulogies. But then it turned out it was just Miffy and me, and the rest of you are lazy bums.

Now i feel bad about not putting more thought into it, should i go back and rectify this?

I thought Fable III was 2010... maybe the PC version was 2011? Still, L.A. Noire practically has it by default over that other piece of garbage.

wikipedia told me it was 2011, but...yeah, either way. Oh yeah, I also played Dead Island, but...

Now i feel bad about not putting more thought into it, should i go back and rectify this?

I guess what I'm saying is that if I had one wish in my lifetime, I'd wish for time to wind back a little and everyone putting some more thought into their GOTY2011. But that's too late now, so I'll just wish for world peace eternal youth.

Honestly, I had planned out my post weeks in advance, so excited was I. I thought everyone was feeling the same in this exciting gaming year without clear winners and many great games.

I hate to be a crow in this, but I think 2011 marks the year thatI hate video games.

I liked a bunch of stuff that I played, but I wasn't in love or impressed by a single thing. More often than not, I found myself overly bored with nearly everything I touched and slightly angry at a few things.

Things this year I think are okay and have neither love nor hate for, which may not be very acceptable because I didn't finish a single game this year either:

Skyrim (Looked nice, I had fun, got to a point that all Elder Scroll games do for me, I feel complete and put it down... which means I should have just did the main quest line rather then a bunch of the sides)

Voxatron (its cute)

LA Noire - Stopped at vice, asshole partner and was getting old.

Everything else was too bored to even comment on... maybe I should get a new hobby or something, I feel kind of bad about how this year of gaming went.

Bastion is also my goty:2011.

bastion_kakimari-scaled.jpg

I'm not sure I could have a conversation with someone who played and disliked Bastion. The game was so personally appealing that I would probably take the opinion to heart. There is no part of Bastion that doesn't feel special. From narration and level design, all the way down to the tile based graphical engine. Each piece is beautiful and unique to this game.

Kroms and everyone else have spelled out why the game is exceptional. They might even be overly generous, the game does have specific shortcomings. Those don't matter though, Bastion is now on the short list of games that are important to me.

Thinking back, the best gaming experience I had this year was the Portal 2 ARG, not Portal 2 itself. Playing those other Indie games to get potatoes to help release Portal 2 early was a hugely enjoyable and engaging experience for me.

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

They might even be overly generous, the game does have specific shortcomings. Those don't matter though, Bastion is now on the short list of games that are important to me.

It does, but it's hard for me to criticize the game for them. They become irrelevant, and sometimes even positives - not dissimilar to how some music albums can have mistakes that make it more human - in my overall opinion of the game.

Thinking back, the best gaming experience I had this year was the Portal 2 ARG, not Portal 2 itself. Playing those other Indie games to get potatoes to help release Portal 2 early was a hugely enjoyable and engaging experience for me.

Just engaged with this game yesterday as I was cleaning up my hard drive. Found that I had about 100 megabytes worth of ARG files that persisted in my Steam folder even after uninstalling the games which unlocked them.

:getmecoat

Eh. You didn't play and didn't like the game, which is different. I am also exaggerating. The point I was trying to convey is that when I talk about Bastion, I can feel my fanboy gland draining. Which is unusual. Games with a similar effect (Portal, Civilization) tend to be better games.

I should maybe write up what I didn't like about the game. I have some complaints that I haven't seen elsewhere. And it might be healthy for me.

Playing those other Indie games to get potatoes to help release Portal 2 early was a hugely enjoyable and engaging experience for me.

I was thinking the same thing about the current steam sale. The prompt to play a lot of small games is wicked fun. If only the reward coupons were less crass.

Edited by Cult of Jared

Yeah Valve really did a great job with the ARG. The whole community really came together and, not only supported indie developers, worked together to create the most efficient way complete the games to unlock Portal 2 faster. As well as solve clues and find new clues. I remember when The Steamcast played Morse code live over their podcast as a clue, awesome event.

Honestly Portal 2 might be my third goty, the game was fun but I mostly remember waking up extra early to have time to play it in the morning. It was such a lovely day to boot!

This threads sort of been a wake-up call, I realize I've only played three or four games this year :/. Those games being : Bastion, WoW:Cata, SC2, and LoL. Just bought a crap ton of games off GOG and Steam, but mainly oldies. Guess I'm outgrowing games ?! (That and living in 4 different countries in 2 years prohibits the purchase of a desktop powerful enough to play newer games with)

I started to think I'd gone off games at one point, but as it turned out I think I was just depressed and/or suffering from low iron anemia. One thing I learned, don't put too much stock in one bad year versus a lifetime of enjoyment.

This threads sort of been a wake-up call, I realize I've only played three or four games this year :/. Those games being : Bastion, WoW:Cata, SC2, and LoL. Just bought a crap ton of games off GOG and Steam, but mainly oldies. Guess I'm outgrowing games ?! (That and living in 4 different countries in 2 years prohibits the purchase of a desktop powerful enough to play newer games with)

That's my average year. This was the first time, ever, that I play more than a handful of games. I beat ten this year. That's more than three times my usual average.

I beat 47 games this year.

To be fair, I do write a lot of reviews for stuff and I feel bad if I don't complete the game before I do so.