Sign in to follow this  
miffy495

Goty.cx 2011

What's yours? It's been kind of a hell of a year. We opened early with Portal 2, Duke Nukem Forever exists now, which may at least be worth of some recognition, three of the big current-gen trilogies wrapped up (Gears, Uncharted, Resistance), Minecraft actually went gold, the new Zelda arrived, and we had some huge indie hitters as well (Bastion, Dungeons of Dredmor, etc). Oh yeah, something called "Sky rim" happened too. There's no way anyone could have played all of these. Top of my "to buy" list, for example, is currently Saint's Row the Third, Skyrim, and The Witcher 2, which I gather all could be contenders for the goty but don't get to compete for mine. I also have Skyward Sword sitting on top of my Wii but as yet unstarted. In fact, this year I've been much more into the things that have gone on sale and the indies than anything else. My list will reflect that, and is just the games that stuck with me. I'm going with one Goty and 3 honourable mentions. Everyone, throw yours up as well and debate as you wish!

MIFFY'S GOTY:

Cargo! The Quest For Gravity

263429D88C19A25275B6EFAD6E6024100699CD4F

This game is unrelentingly strange, but also feels like it's kind of important in a weird way. I posted the above screenshot just after finishing it in the "recently completed video games" thread, and still love it. Gameplay-wise, it's an evolution of Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts (my Goty of 2008), in that you are given a task and then need to construct a vehicle in order to accomplish it. It also feels like a meta-commentary on gaming, which is what keeps me thinking about it long after finishing it. As an appreciator of worldplay, I love the title. Your explicit goal in the game is to restore gravity, the physical force, to the world. Everything has floated up into the sky and you need to bring it back. Meanwhile, you're in a world that has been destroyed by a race of beings who pursue fun at the expense of any kind of meaning or importance and are given the objective of bringing them all back down to Earth. Really, what you do throughout the game is get away from the FUN at all costs attitude of the buddies and restore a sense of gravity to the world. The gameplay is a bit janky, but really cool. Getting the buddies their FUN (which you then need to spend to bring things back to Earth) is actually pretty entertaining. The races and weird helicopter missions are great. Things control a little weird, but it's nothing you can't adjust to. There's not really a lot I can say that isn't a spoiler, but for the $20 it's going for on Steam, I highly recommend it. It won't take you very long to blast through it, and it's a delightfully surreal experience that I think it's important for those who care about games with messages and don't mind a bit of jank to have. This game is not the best mechanically, graphically, or whatever, but it has stuck with me since I finished it, which I can't say for very many games (last one I recall that had this effect on me was Cryostasis) and gave me a feeling that I haven't had since Katamari Damacy. For that, I think it's worth my goty.cx nod.

Honourable Mentions: Portal 2, Jamestown, Super Mario 3D Land

EDIT: Time sensitive thing! Jamestown, one of my honourable mentions and a fantastic old-school 2D shmup, is part of the Humble Bundle that went live today! Check it out!

I'm kind of lost on what games were released this year.

But going my number of hours spend and still not bored, it's Skyrim for me. I've done so much in that game already and there is still so much I want to do.

Honorable mention: Blocks that Matter. Unlike most puzzle heavy games this one doesn't get overly complicated or boring.

Honorable mention 2: Bulletstorm. Probably the best action packed rollercoaster fun ride I've played in a long while. The almost non stop over the top action makes this a great game.

Disappointment of the year: RAGE (yes, not DNF).

Edited by elmuerte

Well, I feel bad but there are at least two or three games vying for the spot...

I would have to go with Dark Souls, it is easily one of the most beautifully bewitching games I have played in a long time. From the level design to the combat, I can't really fault the game for its lack of compromise. I've not finished but I can't wait to try.

Honourable mentions: Saints Row: The Third, Dungeon Defenders, Catherine, Child of Eden, Mindjack, Dead Island

I would have to go with The Witcher 2, probably.

Blocks That Matter would be my second choice probably. It has a really good balance of hard puzzles and fun.

Of course, as mentioned there hasn't been a shortage of good games this year. I think noone even mentioned Deus Fucking Ex yet. Skyrim is good, and Batman seems to be as well. I just started playing Trine 2, etc.

The thing is, most of these games are sequels that seem to be mostly perfecting what the previous games already did. The Witcher 2 on the other hand took almost all that was good in the first game and raised it to a whole different level, while having probably the best-looking visuals in any RPG ever. Plus, it had a hugely branching story line where you could pick an entirely different side to play in the preparations for battle of the second act (or was it third?). Brave!

It's been a weird year for games for me. I don't believe there's been anything I've completely fallen in love with. I'll see if anyone mentions anything that I've forgotten.

Odd year for me. Haven't had the time or wealth to keep up with the latest console releases, and my original DS had its touch screen die an ignoble death. Spent most of my gaming time with either older games or smaller indie releases.

English Country Tune is my favorite of the bunch. It starts with classic puzzle types like block pushing and step on every tile once. Very quickly it keeps creating clever, thoughtful, honest-to-goodness unique puzzle ideas that play with spatial thinking and abstract logic in ways only possible in video games. The puzzles never get tedious or unfair, and it feels as if every level brings something fresh to the concept. Haven't finished it yet, but I'm confident in calling it my Goty.cx.

SbshRb8MJIU

Runners up

• Murder Dog IV: Trial of the Murder Dog
  • Atom Zombie Smasher
  • Bastion

Games I only played this year, but would have been contenders for their respective years

• Little King's Story
  • Bubble Bobble (NES)
  • Deadly Premonition - Apart from the rather sickening theme of
    mercy-killing rape victims
    that developed near the end.

I played only two games this year that came out in 2011: Portal 2 and Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

I guess Portal 2 wins by default?

I spent almost the entire year playing Fallout: New Vegas. I love hardcore mode, and now I realize I can't buy Skyrim until I buy a PC specifically to mod the game and add a hardcore mode.

I want my eating to mean something!

For Game of the Year - Skyrim and Dark Souls tie for me.

Honorable mentions to DX3, Gears 3, Child of Eden, EDF:IA, and probably a ton of download games i can't remember because they aren't sitting in a shelf to my left.

Best 2010 game i played in 2011 - Resonance of Fate

Biggest disappointment? - Rage.

Dark Souls was my goty by far. Before Demon's Souls I'd always wanted to really get into a dungeon crawler, but even the really popular ones failed to compel and intrigue me enough to get very far. Demon's and Dark Souls are like how Diablo 1 exists in my idealised memory of it, with some of the genuine risk/vulnerability thrills you get from something like Darkfall on top.

I also played an awful lot of Ace of Spades alpha, and Deus Ex 3 was alright.

Edited by Raff

I keep thinking of how great the writing and atmosphere in Portal 2 was, and how much Skyrim opens up for such great, personal experiences, but there's one game I keep coming back to in every aspect, and that's Bastion.

Great art direction, great soundscape, a deep, fascinating fiction, and plot and storytelling that just knocked my socks clean off. It's the only game I can think of where I haven't just experienced intellectual conflict, but emotional conflict as well.

Sure, it has flaws, but this is a game that captured my mind, heart, creativity and imagination more than anything else this year.

So, unlike every other year, I did play a handful of new games. One of them happens to be my favourite game of the ones I played this year: Bastion.

bastion-550x343.jpg

The beautiful art and the genuinely good dialogue (monologue?) aside, the game is fun. It's a bit "light", but involving. The level design, and the way the levels build themselves, make for interesting exploration. However, it's the narrator who steals the show. He comments on varied and interesting things. Different dialogue is written for different weapon combinations, for instance, and there are several potential things he'll say when you start a level. There are many numerous things he comments on, but the best ones are when you die.

I killed a Windbag at the same second it killed me.

"The killed ended that Windbag, but it broke his spirit," said the Narrator.

A prompt comes-up. Two lives left; press Escape to continue. Escape pressed.

"Just not for long."

The music gets a shout-out too, for combining different styles together so well. I bought the soundtrack and have been listening to it continually.

Shameless plug: my friend did a cover of the song "Build that Wall" from the game, at my request. Do give it a listen.

More important than anything, however, is that Bastion was my game of the year because Bastion was made with heart. That's more important than anything.:tup::tup:

Runners-up: Portal 2: Not as consistent as the original, nor as energetic or as creative, but still great. Some parts are so funny I had to pause the game; Costume Quest: A game made by people who wanted to make it. Pure joy, but a bit too formulaic to beat out Bastion.

Potential games of the year I still haven't played: Dark Souls, The Witcher 2.

Yeah, all of this Bastion love is certainly well deserved. It JUUUUST got edged out of my top 4. It does deserve at least some credit for being a game that I was compelled to finish twice in less than a week.

Bastion is also high on my list of best games of this year.

I also enjoyed the eye for detail in narration. For example in the beginning when you get your first weapon you can opt to keep breaking the environment and the narration also comments on that. :tup:

Just to avoid confusion, the two honorable mentions in my post are not runner ups for the GOTY. They simply deserve some special attention. Because even though Bulletstorm and Blocks that Matter are great games, they rank lower than Deus Ex, Limbo, and Bastion.

At the moment my GotY candidates are The Witcher 2, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and Portal 2. Probably but not absolutely in that order.

However, I'm yet to play Batman: Arkham City and Skyrim which, I suspect, could just win the thing.

I'm surprised so many of you are choosing Bastion. As a game, I thought the demo was very poor.

The gameplay in the demo never rose above "mash all the buttons and fall off a cliff." I tried several strategies with the enemies—shooting from a distance, careful, deliberate hammering, etc.—but nothing worked better than button mashing. Did this get better/clearer in the full game?

The presentation was amazing, but I can't even fathom giving a Game of the Year nod to something without satisfying gameplay.

@TP: Play Bastion.

@Mike: You keep getting new weapons throughout the game, that each function differently. I found the combat lackluster too, until I started discovering my favourite weapons and upgrading those. And even if it never completely clicks, it's worth playing through for the narrative and presentation.

There's a big discussion on this in the Bastion thread, as I recall.

Also, you can even play it in your browser now.*

When thinking about Dark Souls and Skyrim, I think how much fun it is to explore both of their worlds. In Skyrim, you could to talk and interact with the different characters, absorb as much of the story as you want, and have a lot of flexibility building a cool character for combat.

In Dark souls, the story isn't so front and center, but the combat is the best of any RPG I've ever played. They are both great games but I think I have to give the tiebreaker to Dark Souls just because it's a more polished experience. I can't tell you how many times skyrim froze up on me, or took 45 seconds to load just going through a door.

I'm surprised so many of you are choosing Bastion. As a game, I thought the demo was very poor.

The gameplay in the demo never rose above "mash all the buttons and fall off a cliff." I tried several strategies with the enemies—shooting from a distance, careful, deliberate hammering, etc.—but nothing worked better than button mashing. Did this get better/clearer in the full game?

Yep. Random button mashing will get you killed in the second half.

Because I don't care about popularity contests.

For me, it's all about the "why", not who gets the most votes.

Well if you are going to be a dick about it.

I really enjoy these as it is nice to see some games that I thought to be nothign be niche titles appearing in these, and I quite enjoy the comments that people take the time to write for each one of their selections and how Eurogamer vet them (although, to be fair they got a little sloppy last year).

At the same time I find it interesting and a good place for sparking debate to see what is considered the 'best'.

For what it is worth I enjoying flinging in my two cents and it is fun when anything I voted for gets in the top 100.

My Skyrim savegame holds well over 90 clocked hours and the end is not yet in sight. In terms of gaming pleasure measured in time, Skyrim is without question the massivest of games I have played this year. And the hours? They were great. This is no mere filler content, no exercise in the grinding of villains to reach some later reward. Skyrim is a world bearing interest in the very grains it is made from, building on a rich soil laid by previous Elder Scrolls games. I breathe it in as I would the smell of fresh bread in the morning bakery.

And yet Skyrim isn’t my GOTY2011. That ambitious accolade is bestowed upon a game much smaller, shorter of length and narrower of focus. But it packs a specific punch that, if landed in the right spot and at the right time at the receiver’s end, resounds and echoes with more profundity than any other game this year. I speak of none other than

Catherine

Catherine_Cover_Art.png

It is a flawed game. I wouldn’t even dare call it a flawed masterpiece. It stubbornly refused to aspire to greatness, turning at the last moment away from the themes it had so carefully constructed to bring us instead a mundane video game fantasy. But even so its unique take on adultery and the toils and troubles of the late-20s, early-30s mind of the man-child were more than enough to hit it home.

Catherine was hyped, no doubt. Aided by the sex appeal of its titular character the Atlus-made Japanese game, assumed too quirky to work anywhere else, became quite wanted. Though in Europe the game still waits for its spring 2012 release by Deep Silver, it was already a small success with 200,000 copies sold in the US (or rather distributed to retailers). The game proved more than worth the hype. I felt deeply moved by hero Vincent’s struggle with an impossible situation and his own weak character. Even though the love triangle situation he was in was unfamiliar to me, his feelings of insecurity and vexation against being forced to grow up rang true. Addictive, frantic gameplay that saw you climbing block towers, frequently chased by abominations, and a strong visual identity with stark pinks and blacks and truly inspired character animations (Vincent walking around the bar like a beaten dog, or his increasingly drunken gait as he imbibes copious amounts of alcohol) gave Catherine a presence hard to forget or ignore.

How many games can you name that handle the topic of sex in a way that isn’t childish or misogynistic? In Catherine, sex was not an easy power-up or masculine reward without context. It was dealt with in a realistic way, with all the complexities that sex has in real life in a relationship between two (or indeed three) people. In many other areas too the game had fresh things to say and show, all the while remaining delightfully quirky and weird. A hard thing to pull off!

It was over in 12 or 13 hours. Such a short time to spend on a game that spoke such shocking, simple truths about man’s nature. And then decided to cash out right before hitting the jackpot. Well, there’s always the sequel, subtitled, hopefully, GOTY2012.

------

GOTY runners-up: Skyrim, Portal 2

Biggest disappointment: LA Noire

Best older game played this year: 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors

Edited by Rodi

Well if you are going to be a dick about it.

I really enjoy these as it is nice to see some games that I thought to be nothign be niche titles appearing in these, and I quite enjoy the comments that people take the time to write for each one of their selections and how Eurogamer vet them (although, to be fair they got a little sloppy last year).

At the same time I find it interesting and a good place for sparking debate to see what is considered the 'best'.

For what it is worth I enjoying flinging in my two cents and it is fun when anything I voted for gets in the top 100.

Are you saying that eurogame thing is more than just a list of most popular/voted games?

Although that doesn't change me, as opinions of people I just "met" don't give me much material to convert it to my own little universe.

But what Joe Average things doesn't interest me at all. I cannot relate to Joe.

Shameless plug: my friend did a cover of the song "Build that Wall" from the game, at my request. Do give it a listen.

I just wanted to say that I liked this.

And also that Bastion is probably my goty, as well, for pretty much the exact same reasons.

Oh, and I'll add that you can roll in Bastion. This, naturally, boosts any game from trash to gold, and with the icing on the cake that is the graphics/music/story/narrator, Bastion instantly shoots above and beyond every game for the past thirty-two years. Approximately.